Sin City

Started by metroshane, March 16, 2004, 06:57:43 PM

El Duderino

Director Robert Rodriguez talks "Sin City" and "A Princess of Mars"
Source: Entertainment Weekly
Date: April 21, 2004, 2:03 pm
Submitted: Junkyard

In the recent issue of Entertainment Weekly, director Robert Rodriguez ("Desperado") talks about his upcoming crime flick, "Sin City" which is a film adaptation of three acclaimed comic books ("Sin City," "The Big Fat Kill" and "That Yellow Bastard") from legendary writer-artist Frank Miller.

In the interview, Rodriguez told EW that the way he persuaded Miller's approval was to offer him to come down to Texas and be a total participant in the film's production and direction.

"I said (to Frank Miller), I'll shoot the opening sequence (with) Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton. You'll come down - hang out - be part of it." Rodriguez adds, "I'll cut it together, put the effects in. If you like what you see, we'll make a deal and keep going. If you don't, you've got a nice short film to show your friends."

Rodriguez also confirms that Bruce Willis will be playing "Hartigan, a cop who's retiring. He's got a bad ticker." The director reveals that in the comic book the character is 60 years old, so Willis will have to be slightly aged for the film.

"(He)'s got this great, hard boiled black-and-white face. Bruce's section's black and white – in keeping with the comic. Some sections are color," Rodriguez said.

The project has ruffled some feathers with the Directors Guild of America (DGA) because Rodriguez wanted to share directing credit with comic-book creator Frank Miller, which - unbeknownst to him – is against DGA's rules.

"How was I supposed to know that? I see co-directors all the time ... the Wachowski brothers, the Hughes brothers. It's a subjective ruling. There's nothing in the rule book that says it specifically. The rule book is very thick, by the way. I looked at it and it said you have to be "a bona fide team." Whatever the fuck that means."

Unfortunately or fortunately due to this disagreement, Rodriguez dropped out of DGA. The act may have jeopardized the future plans of directing the upcoming sci-fi film "A Princess of Mars" for Paramount Pictures, where the rule stipulates that a studio could not employ a non-union worker. Rodriguez clarifies his situation with that film.

"I can still do that movie ("A Princess of Mars"), because I was assigned to it before I left the DGA. I'll occupy that island of misfit directors like Quentin Tarantino and George Lucas. That's where I've been banished. (Laughs) It's actually really nice here."
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Jessica Alba Moves to Sin City
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

The Hollywood Reporter says that Jessica Alba (Dark Angel, Honey) is in talks star in Sin City for Dimension Films. Shooting is under way in Austin, Texas, on the project, which is being co-written, -directed and -produced by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller.

Miller wrote the graphic novel series that inspired the film. The film will comprise three intertwining vignettes revolving around a dark set of characters who call the fictional corrupt town home.

Alba will star in a section opposite Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke playing Nancy, a beautiful exotic dancer known as "the sweetheart of Sin City." Jaime King, Elijah Wood and Brittany Murphy round out the cast.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffinMickey Rourke playing Nancy, a beautiful exotic dancer known as "the sweetheart of Sin City.

haha, this made me laugh.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Link

LOL

Dude, this movie is getting me so amped

modage

Quote from: LinkDude, this movie is getting me so amped
SIN CITY
FROM THE MINDS THAT BROUGHT YOU  ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO AND ROBOCOP 2 & 3...

better now?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatball

Overrated, fanboy worshipped Frank Miller.
His stories are bland. His artwork looks like crap.

I like the cast, though.

MacGuffin

Nick Stahl is Traveling to Rodriguez's Sin City
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Nick Stahl will star in Sin City for Dimension Films, Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. He would play the dual roles of Junior and Yellow Bastard, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The film, composed of three intertwining vignettes revolving around a dark set of characters who call the fictional corrupt town home, is based on Miller's graphic novel series and is shooting in Austin, Texas.

Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Jaime King, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood and Brittany Murphy also star. Rodriguez and Miller co-wrote the script and are co-directing and co-producing the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Link

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: LinkDude, this movie is getting me so amped
SIN CITY
FROM THE MINDS THAT BROUGHT YOU  ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO AND ROBOCOP 2 & 3...

better now?

I loved Once Upon A Time In Mexico, so I have no problem with that.  Then I'll replace Robocop 2 & 3 with Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2.   8)

RegularKarate

Quote from: meatballFrank Miller...His artwork looks like crap.

Dude, call him overrated if you like, but have you read ?

meatball

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: meatballFrank Miller...His artwork looks like crap.

Dude, call him overrated if you like, but have you read ?

I'd read it for Darrow's artwork.

modage

Del Toro & Owen Aboard Rodriguez's Sin City
Source: Variety Thursday, May 20, 2004

Robert Rodriguez has closed his cast on Sin City by adding Benicio Del Toro and Clive Owen to the Dimension Films ensemble project, reports Variety. Rodriguez wrote the script and is co-directing the screen version of the graphic novel series with its creator Frank Miller.

The noir drama is divided into three chapters named for titles in the Miller series: "Sin City," "That Yellow Bastard" and "The Big Fat Kill." Del Toro and Owen will be seen in the last segment, along with Brittany Murphy. The film cast also includes Bruce Willis, Josh Hartnett, Mickey Rourke, Nick Stahl, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, Carla Gugino, Jaime King and Marley Shelton.

The trade adds that Rodriguez still hopes to draft Quentin Tarantino to direct at least part of that segment, once the "Kill Bill" helmer returns from presiding over the Cannes Film Festival jury. "City" is shooting in Austin, Texas.

Entertainment Tonight also gave a brief look at the set of the film on Wednesday, a clip which you can download in QuickTime here: http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005/STUVWXYZ/SinCity/footage/   It shows Jessica Alba as stripper Nancy with all the right moves, Bruce Willis as Hartigan and more.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

If they replace all that green screen with a solid black wash, or something to that effect, it'll look exactly like the comic book. The costumes are dead on, although Alba would have to lose hers if they stayed COMPLETELY faithful to the source material.

SoNowThen

Which one hopes they will...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

well, they dont want to upset the fans...

Pubrick

what, and NOT overlight every corner of the screen?

did rodriguez hav a stroke? i guess we'll hav to wait till he talks again. (a second)
under the paving stones.