..The everything MTV thread....

Started by NEON MERCURY, December 01, 2003, 11:45:27 PM

Stefen

I didn't watch either live but I did download the Jersey Shore reunion. It was awesome. Sammie Sweetheart and Roid Midget Ronnie have a falling out and when the host asks Sammie Sweetheart if she's okay, she says, "yup. Just hanging out." You're not just hanging out. You're going to be in the bathroom crying in two seconds. And then she was. Hilarious.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

I hate to say it, but I am ADDICTED to the MTV show The Challenge. I don't have cable, but they have a lot of the seasons on Hulu and I have been straight devouring them these last few weeks. I used to watch it years ago when the first ones came on (circa 2000), but then MTV wasn't cool anymore, so I stopped watching and now I'm older and don't care what's cool and I'm catching up.

Does anyone else watch this show?

It's the best -- they basically get a bunch of really hot, narcissistic people (usually from The Real World, which is also pretty great) together in a house filled with booze then make them do all sorts of athletic competitions. Most of these people aren't athletes so hilarity always ensues. Each episode people are taken off either by voting or one-on-one competition until there are only a handful left and then they have the biggest competition of the season which is usually an obstacle course that takes a full day and it's filled with endurance tests, puzzles, feats of strength, etc. It's awesome.

The best part about it is the characters. They recycle characters through seasons, so you get to know them pretty well. And it's the type of show where after you watch it, you immediately forget about it, so every time you start a new season and see the cast members that are in this current season you're like, "Oh yeah! I remember that guy! I like that guy!" or, "Oh, I remember that girl. She's nuts. She's gonna be a problem. Nice boobs tho." Alliances are always created and backstabbing always occurs. It's so great. These people literally give every ounce of whatever self-respect they have for themselves for the chance to win a paltry sum of money. They're all dumb asses. And they get HAMMERED. I mean just trashed. Vomiting, black out drunk unconsciousness. They usually get naked, hook up, you know, the whole nine. These are adults. Some of them are pushing 40, but they act like complete children when they get together. And there are always fist fights. Most of the dudes are just complete meatheads at the peak of their steroid cycle, so they're always a hairsbreadth away from flying off the handle and getting into a dust up. And everyone on this show thinks they're a genius. They think they're the smartest person, not just in this house, but IN THE WORLD. They constantly make remarks like, "So and so can't compete with me. He's not smart enough!" and it's said while they're shirtless showing off some of the worst tattoos you will ever see. Oh, and if it's your first challenge, you're a rookie, so you get treated like crap. You're always voted in to the one-on-one competitions and anytime you try and voice your opinion, one of the veterans says something like, "What do you know? You're just a rookie!" It's the best. Nobody respects anyone. All the women are backstabbing mean girls who sometimes even give their bodies if it means they can get on someones good side and avoid getting put into a one-on-one, and all the men are pretty much the worst type of men in the world. And for 10 hour-long episodes, you get to see these people make COMPLETE ASSES OUT OF THEMSELVES!

Please tell me there are other fans of this show? No, I'm the only one?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I dig the show, too. When I was younger, I was into Real World and Road Rules. My liking the Challenge is all that is left of that aspect of my life. The soap opera dramatics are more packaged around silliness instead of dumb kids confessing about life ending drama every drunken night (Real World) so the fact that Real World alum now see athletic competitions as their evolution, I find it to be a lot of fun.

Stefen, I know you dig Bill Simmons so have you heard any of his podcasts about this show? He's a huge fan and got TJ Lavin as a guest to dish about the show once. Lavin admitted most of the guys were heavy into steroids and he was candid about other stuff. It was before his accident and Simmons came up with the Rivals idea in that interview so it's cool to see it being used now. Look it up sometime.

Stefen

I actually just listened to that interview a couple days ago. It's where I got the You're just a rookie! part from.

I haven't watched any of this current season (Rivals). I'm saving it since I like to watch them one after the other since they're so pointless, if I watch week by week I forget what the hell happened previously.

I just finished watching the last season. The one in Prague. Have you seen it? When C.T. shows up and completely pwns Johnny, I about lost my shit. One of the greatest moments in reality tv history. It was hilarious. Look at him. He's roided out of his mind!

Seeing that for the first time was up there with watching Jurassic Park for the first time. Just in complete awe, jaw on the floor, followed by standing up and cheering.

Gold Trumpet

The C.T. & Prague moment was pretty special. It's the first time I reacted with the same excitement the other contestants generally do to everything. They're always dumb. I know C.T. was bigger and quicker than evryone else so I always liked his physical tools more, but yea, he was bigger than ever. It's weird to see pictures of him during Real World Paris and now because it is noticeably different. Besides, Johnny is a tool. I'm glad the overrated buffoon had his ass handed to him.

I need to do what you do because I watch parts of every season but whenever I try to stay consistent week-to-week, I always forget to tune in. I only really ever see full seasons when I find myself bored and catching a marathon at the perfect time. Otherwise, fuck it.

Stefen

Johnny is one of my least favorite cast members. There's nothing worse than a follower who thinks they're a leader. Out of the girls, maybe it's Tonya, but it always cracks me up when she gets drunk all the time then vomits all over the place. Most cast members I have a love/hate relationship with where I hate them one season, love them the next, vice versa. People like Kenny, Wes, CT.

They're all idiots. I love it.

Gold Trumpet

I love Darrell. He reminds me of Donovan McNabb and seems way too cool to be on the show. Back in the early days of the Challenge, there was a Norwegian guy from season two of Road Rules and he was skinny as fuck but he killed in challenges. He was owning everyone but he never made a career out of the challenges so he never became legendary, but he had the talents for it.

I love Tonya because I remember when she was on Real World Chicago, she was goody two shoes and shocked by everything a half ugly lesbian black girl did. I loved her dumb innocence and then fast forward a few years and she is a dumb bar star type on the challenges? I kept thinking, what the fuck? When did the transformation happen?

Wes is alright. He annoys me because I bet he kicked the shit out of a dog or chick at least once in his life. He also looks like a few neo nazi's I know. Kenny is funny because you get an idea he knows how dumb the shit is, but he still gets to enjoy getting his dick wet.

Stefen

HAHA. Did you see the part in The Ruins where Brad gets drunk and starts talking shit to Darrell then Darrell punches him in the face a bunch of times and they both get sent home? It was one of the funniest parts because Brad is the type that NEVER acts a fool unless he gets some booze in him, and then when he does, he turns from some frat boy into a gangbanger from the barrio. I don't blame Darrell for blasting on him, but the way he was coming at Darrell had me dying laughing. "Come on, son. You can't touch me. YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME!" then he gets touched.

Gold Trumpet

Yea, Brad had a weird moment. Generally like the guy, but he baited Darrell big time to fight. Because of how insane he was, I don't think they should have kicked Darrell off the show. I remember even some reconsideration for the fighting policy happening after the incident. However, Darrell handing Brad his ass in two punches and walking away like he could have done a lot worse was awesome. That moment alone made him a favorite in my eyes.

I also like how sorry Brad felt after and how it was funnier because his apologizing made me think he thought he performed a hate crime against Darrell. During the reunion show, I kept thinking how appropriate it would have been if Jesse Jackson was by his side. To Darrell's credit, he was equally cool and didn't want to hang any guilt over Brad's head.

I am watching a little of the Challenge now. A preview says CT and Laurel are hooking up. Sorry for spoiler, but I want those freaks to have kids together and make super human Challenge athletes. Also, good to see TJ Lavin back. I keep looking at his face and how he does normal things to see if I can tell he was recently in a coma, but he just looks a little more serious than before. Otherwise, fine. It's good because after the accident, I remember Google news'ing his name a lot for updates.

Stefen

Alright, so I'm all caught up on Rivals now, and whoa. This might be the best season yet. I was so excited to get to it because I knew who the cast was and to have that many alpha-males (C.T., Wes, Kenny, Evan and Johnny 50% of the time) on one season was going to be something special. I couldn't wait for the athletic competitions. I was more excited about that than I was about everyone getting drunk, banging and fist fighting, but it's really been no contest. C.T. has out alpha-maled every single other dude on this show. The guy is just incredible. HE HAS NO EQUALS. And everyone in the house is scared to death of him. He has it all. The men are actively plotting to get him out because they're scared to death of him and the women are doing everything they can to attract his attention and possibly hook up with him. C.T. is just a god among men right now.

I really thought Wes and Kenny were going to run away with this challenge. I thought it's one thing to have an alpha-male on your team, but to have a team comprised of nothing but two alpha-males? GAME OVER. But Wes, (who is the closest to C.T. this season in terms of purely being dominant) has proven that he is so far ahead and better than his biggest rival, and current teammate, Kenny, that it's sent Kenny into a tailspin of depression. Kenny can't even sleep. He's a mess. On complete suicide watch. Wes is completely carrying Kenny. I never thought I would see that.

I have a schoolboy crush on Cara Maria.

Jeremy Blackman

You could watch MTV's out-of-sync video of Beyonce's Lemonade medley, or you could enjoy this trainwreck performance: