Jon Stewart or Bill Maher

Started by classical gas, November 06, 2003, 02:57:16 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

myadopteddaughter

Pete, you're a fuckhead....I am new at this....was that good? (haha, no offense I love ya)

Anyway, personally I love Bill Maher, he can be pretty damn hilarious because he's fun to watch and he gesticulates like crazy.
But I love Jon Stewart, love him!

I basically watch Bill Maher to say "hell yeah."
and jon stewart to say "hell yeah!"
mmm, mmmm good

ono

Saw another great "Valentine's Day" episode of Maher's show.  Or rather, the end of it.  When Maher is on, you can't touch him.  It's great.  Love his "New Rules" segment.  Just have to see it to understand; can't really summarize.  The show had Billy Baldwin, Jason Alexander, and some black women who I don't recognize.  Anyway, just saying.

MacGuffin

Jon Stewart to Remain at 'Daily Show'  

NEW YORK - Whoever runs for president in 2008 will be covered by Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show."

The star of the Comedy Central mock newscast has re-upped for four more years, the cable channel announced Thursday.

"A lot of people like to get out when their show's still going well," Stewart said. "This gives me the opportunity to beat this thing into the ground."

Besides hosting "The Daily Show," Stewart serves as an executive producer and writer. His contract had been set to expire at the end of this year.

Stewart joined the program in January 1999, taking over for Craig Kilborn. It premiered in 1996.

The original idea of a parody newscast has grown during Stewart's tenure into a leading source of topical satire - and, oddly enough, even a primary news source for some viewers.

So far this year, viewership has averaged 1 million for the weeknight 11 p.m. EST airing - an all-time high for the show.

The program has won several Emmys as well as a Peabody Award for its yearlong "Indecision 2000" political coverage.

On "The Daily Show," Stewart and his "correspondents" skewer both politicians and the media who cover them.

"Of course, it is still eight months to Election Day," he declared on a recent broadcast, "but the campaign is starting to fall into its own natural rhythm: falsely macho Kerry comment, falsely indignant Bush response."

But "The Daily Show" pokes fun at nothing more than itself.

Earlier this week the program cried foul upon learning that the Bush administration had released simulated news features to TV stations that promoted certain Bush policies.

How, wailed "Daily Show" senior media ethicist Rob Corddry, could a little show like his hope to compete with the federal government in producing fake news?

"The Daily Show" will continue to report on the Bush vs. Kerry face-off, going on the road to Boston during the Democratic National Convention in July and covering the Republican National Convention from the show's home base in New York.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weird. Oh

I used to watch Politically Incorrect up until it got cancelled. I actually saw the infamous episode in which a firestorm erupted over. He basically said what was the truth. He said "we (the US) were cowards and that we lobbed a few cruise missiles and called it a day" (paraphrased). Anyhow, I like most of Maher's poltical stances. But as a comedian Stewart blows Maher away. Stewart is very witty and quick. He is actually a more intelligent interview than most of the late night network crew. My only qualm with Stewart is his transparent left-leaning rhetoric he spouts sometimes. But who cares really? The show is hilarious.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Ravi

I don't think TDS is necessarily left leaning.  They'll make fun of whoever is in office.  And have you seen them making fun of the Democratic candidates?  It happens all the time.

pete

just because they make fun of the left doesn't mean it's not left-leaning.  I love it because it's left-leaning.  its attack towards the right is usually some kinda hypocrisy or some kinda over-the-top backwards neo-conservative ideology, but its attack towards the left is usually just somebody says something that sounds kinda stupid.  It's like the Onion, the Onion does make fun of its target audience (them crazy crazy hipsters) but the cruelty level is totally different.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Julius Orange

QUTOE
Quote from: MacGuffinJon Stewart t
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

Sleuth

If anyone cares, Tim Russert let slip the other night on TDS that Jon Stewart will have a child in July, 9 months after pal Conan O'Brien had a daughter.
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Quote from: SleuthIf anyone cares, Tim Russert let slip the other night on TDS that Jon Stewart will have a child in July, 9 months after pal Conan O'Brien had a daughter.

Are you suggesting that Conan impregnated Jon Stewart right after his daughter was born?

cine

Jon Stewart: Be heroes

WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia  (AP) -- Jon Stewart, host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show," told graduates at his alma mater they have a chance to become the new greatest generation by winning the war on terrorism.

"Even if you don't, you won't have trouble surpassing my generation," he told the 2,033 graduates at the College of William and Mary. "If you end up getting your picture taken next to a naked pile of enemy prisoners and don't give the thumbs up, you outdid us."

Stewart told the graduates their help is needed in "the real world."

"I know we were supposed to bequeath to the next generation a world better than the one we were handed, so sorry," he said. "But here's the good news, you fix this thing, you're the new greatest generation, people.

Stewart, a 1984 W&M graduate, got lots of laughs and an honorary doctorate Sunday from the school where he confessed he was a mediocre student.

"What piece of wisdom can I impart to you about my journey that will somehow ease your transition from college back to your parents' basement?" he asked.

With Stewart as the host, "The Daily Show" has won several Emmys and a Peabody Award. Using the format of a newscast, the comedy show skewers not only politicians, but the reporters who cover them.

ono

Sounds like a speech almost as good as Kurt Vonnegut's.  Almost.

ono

I got a chance to see part of that speech on C-SPAN a couple weeks ago.  Good stuff.  Also, Stewart just gave a great interview (as he always does) on Larry King Live.  It'll probably rerun sometime in the next week, but I'm not exactly sure how CNN's schedule works.

Myxo

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection