Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

snaporaz

Quote from: SHAFTRhis dialogue hasn't really changed much since Clerks.

and the art direction/cinematography of Clerks was set the camera down and let the actors act.

christ. did i ever say anything about the art direction or cinematography of clerks being artistically astounding? i was referring to artistic elements of cinema in general.

and no, i can't really pick one single element of clerks and call it "artistic", but on the whole, smith had little money and produced one of the greatest comedies ever seen - traits of a great artist. and if you think his dialouge hasn't changed...well, that's true. but obviously the wit and brilliance put into his stories has all but vanished due to the fact that he's let hollywood take care of that for him, with "zany adventures" and no-talent assclown actors.

Raikus

Quotewith "zany adventures" and no-talent assclown actors.

Hey now! Bust on Smith all you want.

But leave Lee out of this.  :wink:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

bonanzataz

Hey, I love Lee just as much as the next guy, but come on!

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Raikus

You can't blame a guy for trying to obtain leading man statis.

Besides, if he hadn't starred in those movies, Affleck would have.

And my retort:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

Quote from: bonanzatazHey, I love Lee just as much as the next guy, but come on!
it's obvious he is under a spell and trying to communicate with us through taglines and eyebrow manouvers.
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

Raikus, I liked those movies so I didn't put up those posters, but Lee blew in them. BADLY. Though I guess I can't say anything for Dreamcatcher cause it's not even out yet, but my guess is he'll suck. I love him solely in Kevin Smith movies. For some reason, those are the only places he can shine.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Raikus

Hey, it's nothing I'm taking personally taz. I'm not Lee's mom or anything. But you really thought he sucked in Almost Famous and Vanilla Sky? I thought he was great in those.

But that's cool. I've got high expectations for him in Dreamcatcher (and high expectations for the movie itself).

Cecil

has anyone seen "a better place?" hes pretty good in that one too.

SHAFTR

I thought 'A Better Place' was excellent.

I'm hoping for big things out of Vincent Pereira.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ProgWRX

IMO Jason Lee was excellent in Almost Famous and Vanilla Sky... his current streak of crappy rom-coms are well, the man has to pay the bills right?

Ive never been much of a fan of Kevin Smith movies, so I cant honestly comment on them.
-Carlos

Action Jackson

In each of his appearences in Kevin Smith movie, Jason Lee has stolen the show or been up there. He was the best (and really only great part) of Mallrats. He was best part of Chasing Amy (which I love) and he was solid in Dogma (which I enjoyed).

I have to admit, J&SBSB is terrible trash. Clerks is good but its nothing great.

Has anyone seen Vulgar?
Why dont you go out the the car and check out some music

SHAFTR

I saw Vulgar...and hated it.  I did enjoy the Dogma Documentary on the disc.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Born Under Punches

Quote from: snaporazwhat the fuck was chris rock, salma hayek and alanis fucking morrisette doing in dogma?

controversial material.  if you have actors who can pull in people at the box-office, you would take more advantage of having them in the movie because the subject matter of a movie like dogma is bound to bring hostility and opposition from a lot of people.  i hear harvey weinstein had his life threatened by many right-wing types because he was jewish and releasing a film on catholicism.  

i agree with the comments about liking jason lee in kevin smith films.  if he has a good enough director (cameron crowe and kasdan) he can deliver the goods.  but if the directors really don't give a damn, no matter how likeable he is, he's in bad movies (stealing harvard, a guy thing)

Kev Hoffman

I like Smith's films.  Personally Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back weren't my cup of tea.

Dogma and Clerks were entertaining though.

Chasing Amy has been Smith's crowning achievement thus far, and a flick I highly respect.

©brad

I'm a big Kevin Smith fan. Please don't tell me you guys are Smith haters because of the shit he said about Magnolia. Talk about being a PTA fanatic.  Grow up man. His movies are funny. Dogma is his best cause its funny and deals wit serious shit too. Jay and Silent Bob is hysterical. *sigh* I really don't have anything else to say.