Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

Alexandro

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: SHAFTRNewsAskew.com isn't run by Kevin Smith or his company.
So in all likelyhood, he wasn't even aware of that until he went to the site that day and saw it.

ViewAskew.com is his company's website.

Alright, then I take back what I said...it's still not cool though. They could have at least made it funny.

Anyway, it's cool to see PDL on Smith's top 10 list, as well as Y Tu Mama Tambien...I'd like to read what he had to say about them.

I think they were making fun of the fans, not of PTA. I mean, with all due respect, and I'm a big fucking Paul Thomas Anderson fan, I think he's the best "new" director around and I tend to watch his films over and over and over, it always amazes me the way some fanatics praise him around here. It's not praising, is more like cocksucking, really. When "COUCH" became available I could't believe how long that thread was, disecting every little frame of what is pretty much a snl sketch...I mean it's insane.

In fact, when I read this stuff from View Askew I didn't thought it was a joke, cause it wouldn't seem strange to me that were some people around here craving for a six hour magnolia cut with a 20 minutes long Jason Robards monologue.

I think PTA is great, I really do, he has given me in a very short period of time, so many great cinema moments...but aroun dhere he's like a God or something, with people suddenly having the same tastes as him and you know, it didn't seem exagerated to me that someone would go to a Fionna Apple concert just to see if PTA is around. I'm not saying people are not free to do, like, or feel as they want, but this PTA "admiration" is kind of funny, so I guess the joke was not on him, but on the crazy fans...Hope no one gets offended by this.

Cecil

i think smith genuinely liked pdl. he doesnt hate pta, just magnolia.

modage

The second Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez film, Jersey Girl, has been reset for a March 19th 2004 release, over half a year after the disaster that was "Gigli".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

aclockworkjj

jlo has a bootie that permently needs a tap....nuff said.....fuck mr. smith....

MacGuffin

Kevin Smith Directing Fletch Won & Ranger Danger!
Source: Variety

Writer/director Kevin Smith has committed to direct Fletch Won for Miramax, followed by the sci-fi adventure Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers for Dimension.

Smith, who next directs Jersey Girl starring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, has completed the first draft of Fletch Won. The film will continue the exploits of the journalist-mystery solving character played in two films by Chevy Chase. Smith promised a close adherence to the distinctive dialogue and plotting that McDonald put into his novel series.

Shooting on the new film will begin in January.

After that it's "Ranger Danger" for Dimension, which Smith describes to Variety as "my stab at a comicbook/sci-fi movie. It's in the vein of 'Flash Gordon,' something I've noodled with a couple of years. Now I feel we are mature enough filmmakers to tackle it." Smith hopes to shoot that film while Fletch Won is in post-production during the fall of 2004.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

atticus jones

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedi think smith genuinely liked pdl. he doesnt hate pta, just magnolia.

u think too much
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Cecil

yeah, using your brain... thats for losers

oakmanc234

The latest 'Fletch' news is that since Miramax doesn't want Jason Lee to play the lead (not big enough a star), Smith put out a wish list of his 5 preferences for the lead role:

1) Ben Affleck (no suprise there)
2) Brad Pitt
3) Will Smith
4) Adam Sandler
5) Jimmy Fallon
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: XIXAXKevin Smith is a mistake.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Pwaybloe

Quote from: oakmanc234The latest 'Fletch' news is that since Miramax doesn't want Jason Lee to play the lead (not big enough a star), Smith put out a wish list of his 5 preferences for the lead role:

1) Ben Affleck (no suprise there)
2) Brad Pitt
3) Will Smith
4) Adam Sandler
5) Jimmy Fallon

What about Chevy Chase?  God knows he needs some work.

MacGuffin

Jersey Girl: Whilst Kevin Smith himself has said the dire results of "Gigli" won't affect his film, the second Lopez/Affleck project looks like it will undergo a bit of a trim to become more of a Ben and less of a Jen feature. Now The New York Times reveals the latest rumours: "Kevin stated that Jennifer Lopez's role in the movie will not be expanded like people were expecting. This is due to Gigli's failure and possibly due to the bad test screening results that Jersey Girl has reportedly gotten numerous times. After the test screenings, Kevin had started trimming J-Lo's scenes and Gigli's disastrous showing at the box office just cemented it. She did earn $4 million for the movie and Miramax President Harvey Weinstein said to leave as much of her in the movie as possible due to her payday.

Here's the big spoiler.

Due to this, not only will J-Lo's part not be expanded, but she will die in the first 15 minutes of Jersey Girl".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

$4 million dollars for 15 fucking minutes? i hate hollywood.

modage

*SPOILER*

if thats what it costs to see JLO die, let me take out a few loans...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Quote from: MacGuffin
Here's the big spoiler.
Due to this, not only will J-Lo's part not be expanded, but she will die in the first 15 minutes of Jersey Girl".
Lopez's short time in the movie has nothing to do with Gigli. It was already cut that way when it test screened months ago.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

i became a PTA fan and Smith fan simultaneously, and had no idea that Smith thought Magnolia sucked. Anyhow, Jersey Girl better be good.
The self-referential Jay & Silent Bob Strikes back would be funny if it weren't for all the inside jokes that weren't funny. Oh wait. That was the entire movie. Oh, wait! There were also alot of celebrity cameos throughout the movie that weren't funny, too!
That movie turned Smith into the "Pop Culture Junkie Loudmouth" he thought Tarantino was!
Anywhos, He thought Jay and Bob would be the best, especially while he was making it. He said it would be cathartic. Well, it gave me MORE problems than it took away from him, just because I could never find what everyone thought was so great about it. Maybe I'm just a fan of plot! and Character development!
Saying that Jersey Girl is "mature" just could mean it's gonna be "boring" when Jay and Bob was "funny" when it was just "densely populated with activity".
Clerks to Dogma: Manufique!!!