Anything Else

Started by EL__SCORCHO, August 03, 2003, 12:28:25 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: filmcriticRicci and Biggs are the hot new talent in Hollywood's terms.

In "Hollywood's terms," Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are the hot new talent.

Anyway it didn't work:

Woody Allen's box-office slump continued as his romantic comedy "Anything Else" opened well out of the top 10 with $1.7 million, the weakest debut among his four films for distributor DreamWorks.

"Anything Else," starring Jason Biggs and Christina Ricci, capped a course of diminishing returns for Allen at DreamWorks. His "Small Time Crooks" debuted with $3.9 million in 2000, "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion" opened with $2.5 million in 2001, and last year's "Hollywood Ending" premiered with $2 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Hmm, so Woody gets involved with you-know-who's company, and he makes his worst movies yet. He should make up with Jean Doumanian (sp?) so he can get back to good films.

I mean, when Woody's trying to promote his new films, you KNOW there's something wrong. Ah well, I still think he's brilliant...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

ehh.  seemed like woody was just trying to prove that he wasn't dead by making a movie co-starring young people.  It had no heart and was a re-hash of his earlier films--the opening joke was already told in Crimes and Misdemeanors (and a comedian character opening and closing his film with jokes and monologues kinda reminded me of a certain other Woody film don't you think?) and there were parts that just didn't work at all.
I think I actually got to like Ricci's character for a little bit though it was so obvious where everything was going to go.  That falling in love sequence was nice, but then she just became a real drag to watch.
Jason Biggs wasn't very good.  He wasn't very good in playing an entertaining neurotic character.  His schtick composed mainly of stuttering as a substitute for "disbelief."  Every scene was the Ricci/ Allen characters revealing different facts about themselves then the rest was watching Biggs standing there stuttering in disbelief.
Also, I think these two young kids are characters that Woody used to mock in his other movies--impressionable youths always trying to quote academic writers to sound smart.  Woody used to scoff at that and now all his heroes are doing it.
Overall, there was one sweet moment, several funny moments but the whole movie was pointless.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: petebut the whole movie was pointless.

:( That's not true.

I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. I felt the gun subplot was VERY funny.. Ricci is hearing all this intellectual stuff about Dobel, which would perk my interest to meet him. She walks in and here's Dobel prodding him to learn how to use a rifle. And then the gun is brought up again later by Biggs, giving off one of the biggest laughs of the film. It's way too depressing finding out that this movie made less than the other 3, since this is arguably superior to all of them.

modage

Universal Home Video have released the artwork for the region one release of Anything Else which stars Jason Biggs,  Christina Ricci and Woody Allen. The disc will be available to own from the 23rd December this year and should set you back somewhere in the region of $26.99.

shit!  that was a quick turnaround, guess it doesnt matter much i didnt get a chance to see it, since it'll be on dvd before the end of the year.  that is a THREE MONTH turnaround from the day it premiered in theatres to the day of its dvd.  now THATS gotta be a record.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

Didnt From Justin to Kelly turnaround that fast also?

and i know that there were a few this year with 3 months turnarounds also, but i cant remember them.

TheVoiceOfNick

What's the point of even seeing it in theaters if you'll be able to get it on video a few months later... unlike George Lucas, who makes us wait years and years before his movies hit video/dvd.  I guess its because they already knew it would bomb in the theater, so they want to make their money back very quickly on the dvd end.

modage

Quote from: EEz28Didnt From Justin to Kelly turnaround that fast also?

and i know that there were a few this year with 3 months turnarounds also, but i cant remember them.

you're right FJTK, (as all the cool kids are calling it) was TWO months from the day of release to the day it hit video.  so i guess that is the all-time champ.  but, this is pretty bad.  its like, "c'mon, have a little self respect, atleast pretend we care and make us wait 4 months or so."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.