Downfall

Started by Ghostboy, March 03, 2005, 01:26:54 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: PwaybloeI just watched this last night, and I thought it was completely mesmerizing.  It's like one of those good books that you can't put down.
It does that.  It really has that fly-on-the-wall perspective, and just feels like you're watching important and fascinating history go down as it's happening.

modage

Quote from: PwaybloeIt's like one of those good books that you can't put down.
yeah a history book.  
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

This movie was pretty amazing, frightening, and all of the above. But when I saw it for ten bucks at the video store i couldn't help but think of this littlle gem i caught on daytime tv many moons ago...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070184/

Obi-wan Kenobi as Hitler? blew my mind
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

Just saw this myself. I agree with P, everyone should watch this film. It's just so damn important. It does a great job of balancing Hitler as the old man with sympathy and Hitler as the evil fucker. Just when you feel sorry that his hand is shaking, he reminds us that he is glad to be getting rid of the Jewish poison. I love the secondary character bookending, it really had a powerful impact on me. Even the "historical update" titles at the end, those things that are often uninformative or copouts, they just kept coming and coming and I found it so amazing everytime. This was such a huge film, but it could've lasted hours more, but I'm glad it didn't. Such a big ensemble. It was very heavy seeing and thinking about Berlin as this destroyed mess. Their world was literally at an end, and you could feel the sheer chaos in the suicides. It was like the truest anarchy, death everywhere, the most powerful for me being the guy, as that final convoy is walking underground. They say, "Schatze (sp?) come with us" and he says "I'm sick of going. I'm not going anywhere anymore" and as if he was waiting for someone to ask him that, he just impulsively shoots himself in the mouth.

This movie is incredible. The shot where they salute the burning Hitler and Eva graves was absolutely haunting.
WWPTAD?

squints

there's the scene where he's looking at a portrait of Frederick the Great and am i the only one who thought it was george washington upon first viewing?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

JG

I haven't seen the movie in a couple of months, but I'm pretty sure it was George Washington.   

squints

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/trivia

6th one down: The portrait Hitler is staring at in one scene is that of Frederick the Great.