Palindromes

Started by Ghostboy, September 08, 2004, 05:47:02 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: ono mo cuishleShould be the first great film of 2004.
Quote from: ono mo cuishleBut sadly, the year has nine months.
what calendar are u operating on??
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: picolashttp://palindromes-movie.com/

lol

I didn't have Shockwave installed so I couldn't see anything.

MacGuffin

Solondz's 'Palindromes' Shown at Festival

Todd Solondz, the maker of such dark, daring films as "Happiness" and "Storytelling," had very traditional influences growing up.

While talking about his new movie, "Palindromes," which touches on teen pregnancy and abortion, he shared fond memories of going to see "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music" at New York's Radio City Music Hall as a child.

"They were my favorite movies," Solondz said during a discussion of his career at the South by Southwest film festival, where "Palindromes" was shown. "I guess it took me until my 30s to start rebelling."

As for the responses he receives to his own films, the writer-director said he's "shocked by the shock." ("Happiness" features a child molester and an obscene phone caller and "Storytelling" is about sex and race.)

"There are different kinds of shock," he said. "I think people will be disappointed if they're looking for something of a prurient nature. I'm afraid I won't satisfy you."

"Palindromes" features eight performers playing the same role of an awkward 13-year-old girl. Its cast includes Ellen Barkin and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Sleuth

Oh, a smaller trailer
I like to hug dogs

Weird. Oh

I hope to be seeing this in a month at the Philadelphia Film Fest. Can't wait!  :-D
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Satcho9

i shall be at the Philly Film fest as well...seeing many films with my passes.

Ghostboy

I saw this the other day at SXSW. It's wonderful - maybe not as outstanding as Happiness overall, but far more emotionally grounded and mature.

RegularKarate

I don't know why I forgot to mention this in the SXSW thread, but this was also really good.  I think I feel about the same as GB here as far as where it ranks.

Interesting note about Solondz... I was at his panel before the screening and he said that there is no third part of StoryTelling, but that it was just a two-minute epliogue that was cut.  The "missing third part" is a myth.

Pubrick

ouch for vanderbeek. i bet he was getting jobs based on that myth..
under the paving stones.

Weird. Oh

Quote from: Satcho9i shall be at the Philly Film fest as well...seeing many films with my passes.

where in philly are you from?
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

bonanzataz

Quote from: RegularKarateI don't know why I forgot to mention this in the SXSW thread, but this was also really good.  I think I feel about the same as GB here as far as where it ranks.

Interesting note about Solondz... I was at his panel before the screening and he said that there is no third part of StoryTelling, but that it was just a two-minute epliogue that was cut.  The "missing third part" is a myth.

yeah, it's a two minute epilogue, but there was also a HUGE part with van der beek in fiction that was cut out. so while it wasn't its own "third part," that was a lot of movie that got cut out.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Call him 'pro-debate'
"Palindromes" is the latest Todd Solondz film to provoke thought. Source: Los Angeles Times

There is simply something strange about seeing Todd Solondz in the sun-drenched environs of a Southern California beachside resort. The New York-based filmmaker, writer and director of the films "Welcome to the Dollhouse," "Happiness" and "Storytelling" — all set on the East Coast — was in Los Angeles for a few days of screenings and Q&As for his latest film, "Palindromes."

Solondz is a chronicler of dark loners and losers, a bard of outsiders, specializing in finding a way to squeeze audience sympathy from the most outwardly unappealing of characters. "Palindromes," which Solondz acknowledges as his most "politically charged" film to date, follows the adventures of a 13-year-old girl, Aviva, who, though desperate to have a baby, is forced to have an abortion by her mother, played by Ellen Barkin. Aviva then runs away from home and falls in with a group of antiabortion advocates. Just to keep the audience on their toes, the film's defining conceit is that Aviva's role is portrayed by a series of performers, including a young boy, a plus-size woman and actress Jennifer Jason Leigh.

In conversation, Solondz is surprisingly engaged, witty and articulate. There is almost none of the evasion or mumbling ambivalence one might expect from him (and which one indeed does get from a startling number of film directors), and he is keenly aware of the ways in which he is often perceived.

With his pinched features, nasal voice and oversized eyeglasses, words such as "geek" and "nerdy" have long been used to describe him. He has taken to removing his glasses during public appearances and most photographs in an effort to thwart people's preconceived notions.

"I do think people make certain judgments about the work based on my physical appearance," he said. "I feel comfortable with the way I dress and look, but a lot of people make certain assumptions.... I guess because I don't talk much about me personally and it's the work I'm happy to talk about, it's just a sort of poking and stabbing at 'Who is this guy?' People want to use this as a map to try and decode me. That's really so unimportant ultimately."

True to form, the only time Solondz, 45, shuts down at all is when confronted with personal questions. He will allow that he grew up in New Jersey and attended Yale University, but beyond that he simply shrugs.

Despite the hot-button topics his films touch on, in particular the use of the abortion debate in "Palindromes," Solondz declines to tip his hand one way or the other regarding his own beliefs.

"The only person who can decode what is going on in my movies is really just me," he says. "But it's really not relevant to anyone in the audience watching the movie. The only thing that's relevant is the story you have there on the screen. My personal psychological history is really beside the point."

Instead, it is the narrow space in between the two sides where Solondz likes to stake out his turf, pushing and pulling his viewers between the threshold of their own beliefs.

"I remember in the writing that I had a place I wanted to get to," he says, "a point where this very sympathetic character, this young girl that you feel for, who has been through terrible sorrows and troubles, your heart is with her and yet there she is saying, 'Do, it, do it, do it,' urging someone else to do terrible things.

"It's that kind of friction, of feeling for someone on the one hand and on the other hand this kind of moral horror at what is taking place. That excites me as a filmmaker, finding those convergences that I think throw into relief some of the complexity of what we experience."

Admitting that the audience for his films tends to be of a "more liberal persuasion," Solondz nevertheless bristles at the idea he is giving people what they want.

"I can't say I'm preaching to the choir when, to follow through with the metaphor, it's a sermon they might not want to hear. I'm not there to soothe or feed into a sense of smugness or complacency that people have about their positions. Some see this as a satirical attack on both the right and left, others see it as if I am a poster boy for the pro-life movement, and others see it as a pro-choice movie.

"When I was writing I didn't say, 'Ah, this is going to be my blue state, red state statement.' ... I approached this on really the most simple level, a young girl on a quest for love."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

The movie's not doing very well on the ROTTEN TOMATOES meter so far.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."