Enchanted

Started by Gamblour., December 10, 2007, 10:02:38 AM

Gamblour.

After reading some really good reviews for this ("Amy Adams is enchanting!" - probably Gene Shalit) and needing to see a romantic movie with the mrs. and needing an excuse to watch the ever cute Amy Adams, we went and saw this. And it is awesome.

This movie just works so well. Amy Adams' performance is as good as they say, she's definitely one of the most talented actresses out there. The way the film lampoons Disney films is done without spelling out the conventions. There is the animated sequence at the beginning of the film that resonates with what we all know, and the qualities and way of life in the fantasy world Andalasia are presented so matter-of-factly.

Upon seeing the animated Prince Edward, I knew it was going to be James Marsden, who plays cheesy better than anyone. I had never even seen Patrick Dempsey before, and he gives a pretty strong leading man performance, though his Joe Schmo-ness threw me for a while.

It's such a strong, entertaining film. Everything is pitch perfect. She deserves a Xixax award, at the very least.
WWPTAD?

modage

i almost saw this with my family over Thanksgiving and may still when i go home for Xmas.  i've heard some pretty good word of mouth for it  and it seems like it could be fun.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

You really should, it's so much fun. I can't recommend it enough.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

It is fun.  There are pieces that don't work (the whole climax felt completely overblown and under-thought; it squandered the tremendous amount of suspension of disbelief that the movie works so hard to earn), but it's the sort of movie that you sit and watch with a dumb grin on your face the whole time.  The musical sequence in the park is one of the most insane, hilarious things I've seen in a long time.

And Amy Adams is, of course, enchanting.  Nobody could have played that role as well as her.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

I think it's great, although while I was watching it I also thought that it's sorta like Elf except not as well written, and I know Modage wasn't an Elf fan. Still, I'd definitely recommend it - it's frequently awesome. Amy Adams is flawless, and James Marsden is hilarious too. The only real problem is that it takes a third act turn into serious mediocrity. The movie as a whole is too smart for romantic switcheroo that it relies on for its happy ending.

Redlum

This was one of my favourite films of the year. The script was good but the cast made it great. Every time James Marsden said or did anything it was hilarious and Amy Adams was the perfect Disney Princess. Great support from a CG chipmunk, who managed to give a lesson in mime that surpassed the comedic animation of even Ratatouille.

I agree that the third act didn't live up to the brilliance of the rest of the film but I think they earned the fairytale ending. This is a Disney film that will come to be beloved by families on DVD and it deserves it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ravi

Amy Adams and James Marsden were perfect.  Not a trace of irony in their performances.  I agree the ending was underwhelming, and the sequence with the Carrie Underwood song at the end felt like a last minute attempt to sell some soundtrack CDs.  The film never really manages to push itself from good to great, but nonetheless it was a fun movie.  Recommended.