Retard negro makes good

Started by Ghostboy, August 20, 2003, 08:15:46 PM

NEON MERCURY

.... :? ..

has anyone noticed that the tv spots for this film ... one of them making this film like a comedy.
and the other like .a drama?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Everytime I see it I laugh and I know I shouldn't.  Why is this movie being made?  Is it this necessary to glorify retarded people?  How is it uplifting to see this guy be a waterboy who touches lives?  I mean seriously, do they ever think about scripts anymore or is it like "We haven't had an uplifting movie about retards in a while, what do you think?" *Writing team nods in zombie-like unison*
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Written by Mike Rich, the same guy who wrote Finding Forrester... I think... hmmm...

Anyway, that guy is a huge deal in Portland, at least the mainstream. A onetime morning radio DJ there. He was covered big by The Oregonian when Forrester came out... they also mentioned on-again, off-again Portlander van Sant a little bit, too, though he was not living in Portland at that time.

van Sant (usually) =  :)

Rich =  :roll:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Hmm, yes, fuck this trailer, and fuck this movie. It appears to be everything I truly hate in the film biz.

The worst part is, my parents will probably be all jazzed to go see this. Too bad they'll never enjoy their son's films...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SoNowThenThe worst part is, my parents will probably be all jazzed to go see this. Too bad they'll never enjoy their son's films...

Your parents are the enemy of cinema as well?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Cecil

Ghostboy

My parents aren't. They love Magnolia.

Gamblour.

My parents apparently have great taste in comedies. They love Guest's films and a lot of the Coens' films. Come to think of it, my mom is actually a big movie lover, especially film noir, considering that she grew up on it. However, she is still a mom, so she was kinda turned off by all the cursing in Magnolia, but I think she thought it was good otherwise (she did happen to mention first off that Tom Cruise's package had to be fake, this is one of the only things I remember her saying about Magnolia, lol).
WWPTAD?

SoNowThen

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoob
Quote from: SoNowThenThe worst part is, my parents will probably be all jazzed to go see this. Too bad they'll never enjoy their son's films...

Your parents are the enemy of cinema as well?

Well, they're getting better. They do try now. But it's mostly to please me, not so much because they get enjoyment out of it. But they've always liked Magnolia.

The thing is, they don't even like shit movies like this. Yet they rent 3 of them a weekend. Then, every Monday, I talk to my dad and he says "you wouldn't believe the terrible movies we rented", and I always say I do believe, and why won't he take some of my suggestions. And then he always says "we don't like those weird, boring, depressing movies you watch. We only want quick entertainment, and a reason to eat snacks and fall asleep on the couch". Which I know is not the case, because these are fairly intelligent people, and I know that when the time is right they really get into good flicks. So I dunno, society has fed that shit into them that they "only want entertainment" (whatever that means), and they have to see certain movies because the little tv tells them to. But they for sure won't be on board for a good 60% of my films. Which is very depressing at times...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

I must be the only person here who saw this.  It's not a horrible film.  The trailers make it look like everyone will be saying, "You go, retarded boy!" but it wasn't really like that.  It embodies a lot of the feel-good film cliches, such as the guy who hates Radio in the beginning is one of his supporters at the end, and there being a villain character, but I thought the film overall was watchable.  Ed Harris and Cuba Gooding, Jr's performances were good.  Don't expect complexity in this film and you may like it.

abuck1220

does the "villian" fall down in the mud at all? and everyone laughs at him? that'd be awesome.

Ravi

Quote from: abuck1220does the "villian" fall down in the mud at all? and everyone laughs at him? that'd be awesome.

No, but Radio falls in the mud once.

Finn

I don't think it was a really bad movie either. It was okay, but certainly not great. The audience really loved it. Everybody around me was crying, laughing and cheering. Funny, notice that Kill Bill was number 1 the first week and then dropped like a stone when word got out that it was a great movie. Yet Radio keeps going pretty strong at the box office even though it got tons of bad reviews. But what else should I expect from the audience??? :roll:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

abuck1220

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: abuck1220does the "villian" fall down in the mud at all? and everyone laughs at him? that'd be awesome.

No, but Radio falls in the mud once.

figures. stupid retard.

MacGuffin

Gooding Takes NAACP Award for 'Radio'

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Receiving the NAACP's Image award for his portrayal of James Robert "Radio'' Kennedy was particularly sweet for Cuba Gooding Jr., who was stung by criticism that his portrayal of the mentally disabled man was too negative.

"I'm proud of the performance because the man's mannerisms were very indicative of the character that I portrayed,'' Gooding said after receiving the best actor in a motion picture award Saturday night.

"A lot of the situations in the movie came from actual events,'' he said. "Sometimes the truth is hard to watch but it's my job to bring the truth to the screen.''

Kennedy became an inspiration first for the football team at T.L. Hanna High School and then the entire community.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks