Chronicle

Started by polkablues, January 07, 2012, 02:25:59 PM

Pubrick

i'm really late in the game on this but when i first heard of it i was turned off by the found footage and i probably needed a year to forget the trailer which is extremely spoilerful.. avoid that at all costs.

this movie is superb. everyone keeps mentioning akira but watching it i kept having strange memories of An American Werewolf in London. that's one of my favourite films of all time, but really.. i think there's a strong connection between the films, as far as "supernatural" elements being filtered through dark human behaviour. insecurity and fear of the self is what drives both films, delusion ---->

----> quick aside on this topic of delusion, because in AAWiL it's quite plausible (in fact the only real explanation) that the transformation wasn't real and to put it simply he was really just insane, in this film  SPOILERS you get the delusion occurring on a higher level, where he says he is the "apex predator" that is obviously his own insanity set against the in-film reality of actually having superpowers. END SPOILERS in AAWiL the contrast occurs against the dude having this realisation of the dark side of the human condition: paranoia, sexual frustration and even the goddamn Nazis trigger his mutations.

so i figured whoever wrote this had a real good insight into AAWIL.. then to my astonishment, and i swear i did not know this because there were no credits at the start of the film, my theory was proven correct when it turned out the film was written by THE SON OF JOHN LANDIS. i was kinda disappointed, i thought a bunch of nobodies made this. not some rich ass kid making me feel bad about my lack of connections in the biz.

still, it's quite impressive and i will recommend this to everyone. it's the most underrated movie since Attack The Block, which was pretty much flawless, and also reminded me of that werewolf in london.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

frankenstein is next. that's the next max landis screenplay. not based on the book, based on everything that's come after. max is very friendly and outgoing

MacGuffin

Max Landis Says 'Chronicle 2' Would Have Been Called 'Martyr,' Spills Plot Details
Source: Playlist

Writer Max Landis has never failed in being a wellspring of ideas, whether on his rapid-fire Twitter feed or on-camera describing Superman's values. But the most-lobbied amount of hints—and now musings on missed potential—rests with "Chronicle 2," the sequel to Josh Trank's Landis-penned superhero hit. For some time, rumors flew that 20th Century Fox weren't pleased with the young screenwriter's vision, now leading to the fact that they're moving on without him, but that news hasn't stopped Landis from discussing what could've been.

In a frank and informative explanation divided up on Twitter (and collected by Bleeding Cool), Landis took the opportunity to explain the direction of his "Chronicle 2" script, entitled "Martyr," but admitted that fans of the first film might not have been "ready or eager for my second installment as originally written." He wrote of his draft: "Gone was the aspirational 'what would you do,' gone were the pranks and bromance, gone were lovely tragic Andrew and hopeful, bright Steve" (played by Dane DeHaan and Michael B. Jordan, respectively, both deceased by the end of the film).

"In their place was a dark, frustratingly unblinking stare into a complicated world that posed the question is it worth it to be a hero, told from the point of view of a heartbroken and insane woman who would martyr herself to the cause of being the world's first villain," he continued. A logical guess might place this unhinged woman as the protagonist and heart of the film—creating what Landis says to be "a different genre of movie than the first;" this point, if true, might provide a clue as to Fox's objections about the script's tone and material.

Surprisingly, Landis also envisioned making his found footage superhero universe culminate in an "Avengers-type team up," and claims "the most frustrating thing is that I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to explain what MOGO was or what he was doing in that cave." But knowing Landis (who's currently shooting his directorial debut, "Me Him Her") and his rate of output, it's a good bet more details on "Martyr" are forthcoming—even as they're separated from Fox's direction with the would-be franchise.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Ultimate Badass

Quote from: Pubrick on August 12, 2013, 10:58:10 AM
i'm really late in the game on this but when i first heard of it i was turned off by the found footage and i probably needed a year to forget the trailer which is extremely spoilerful.. avoid that at all costs.

this movie is superb. everyone keeps mentioning akira but watching it i kept having strange memories of An American Werewolf in London. that's one of my favourite films of all time, but really.. i think there's a strong connection between the films, as far as "supernatural" elements being filtered through dark human behaviour. insecurity and fear of the self is what drives both films, delusion ---->

----> quick aside on this topic of delusion, because in AAWiL it's quite plausible (in fact the only real explanation) that the transformation wasn't real and to put it simply he was really just insane, in this film  SPOILERS you get the delusion occurring on a higher level, where he says he is the "apex predator" that is obviously his own insanity set against the in-film reality of actually having superpowers. END SPOILERS in AAWiL the contrast occurs against the dude having this realisation of the dark side of the human condition: paranoia, sexual frustration and even the goddamn Nazis trigger his mutations.

so i figured whoever wrote this had a real good insight into AAWIL.. then to my astonishment, and i swear i did not know this because there were no credits at the start of the film, my theory was proven correct when it turned out the film was written by THE SON OF JOHN LANDIS. i was kinda disappointed, i thought a bunch of nobodies made this. not some rich ass kid making me feel bad about my lack of connections in the biz.

still, it's quite impressive and i will recommend this to everyone. it's the most underrated movie since Attack The Block, which was pretty much flawless, and also reminded me of that werewolf in london.

But don't you agree that the third act degenerated into a low-budget version of the old superhero battle cliche? One we've seen so many times before, but done better( the latest version being The Man Of Steel). The story, interesting up til then, could have went to more interesting places, but didn't. It actually became quite boring, IMO.