Even bums know PTA

Started by aurora, February 25, 2003, 05:00:01 PM

aurora

I was on the train the other day here in Melbourne, Australia listening to a 'awesome mix Boogie Nights CD' I had just made when a bum with plastic bags came on and sat opposite me. He stared at me for like a minute and then said 'What are you listening to?' I replied 'The soundtrack to the movie Boogie Nights' and he yelled 'DIRK DIGGLER!! HE ROCKS!!'

I thought that it was pretty cool that a bum living off 2 plastic bags with clothes knew Dirk Diggler!

From PTA thinking of the name and writing it on a card when he was a teenager to a bum with no home on the other side of the world knowing the same name 25 years later is pretty cool!

Xixax

You misunderstood. He actually said "Dirk Diggler on the rocks."

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

aurora

sphinx

sphinx's finely tuned eyes can detect even the slightest photoshop.  better luck next time, xixax

aurora

On closer inspection I can notice a artificial white square where Dirk Diggler is printed...

Xixax

You can do a lot of damage in 60 seconds with a copy of Photoshop.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Guess it's not 100 proof.  :yabbse-cheesy:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

snaporaz

i think just about anybody who even remotely watches movies on a regular basis knows who dirk diggler is. boogie nights is one of those movies almost everyone has seen, but only a small handful actually know it's greatness or who paul anderson is.

now, if that bum mentioned anderson or his other films, that would have been surprising.

NEON MERCURY

does anyone know if the bum knows barry egan?

Kal

maybe the bum was PTA undercover

SoNowThen

hehehe

It's threads like this one right here that made me join Xixax in the first place!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Slick Shoes

A true story:

Not long ago, I was out and about running some errands. I parked my car and started to get out when I noticed a man walking towards me. He didn't look like a bum, but I could tell he was down and out. He was a bit disheveled and there was a worrisome expression hanging from his face. I thought he was a stranded motorist who might need a jump, so I let him approach me.

He started talking without saying much, just talking, but I knew something was up. I let him ramble on for about a minute before I very consciously glanced down at my wrist (where there was no watch) just to let him know I didn't have all day. I thought he was going to hit me up for some change.

"My rectum is bleeding."

He turns around and hunches over, just to erase any doubt I may have had. But I didn't see any blood.

"I need forty dollars to get this prescription filled."

He whips out a piece of paper. It was not in good condition. Crinkled and dirty, it could have been a receipt for all I know.

"We can just go over to this ATM."

He motions towards a money machine which is conveniently close by.

That's when I notice all the little puncture marks on his arm.

I probably should never have let him approach me in the first place. I was raised in a small town, though, where people are more trusting of one another. Perhaps in a couple of years I will have become a jaded city prick.

(Sorry, I know this rant was more idle-chatter-ish, but all this talk about bums made me remember it.)

SoNowThen

hehehe

with all my hobo experiences in Vancouver I adopted this technique:

just put your head down and pretend they don't exist, and keep walking. It especially helps if you have headphones on, so you can make like you don't hear them.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: Slick ShoesI probably should never have let him approach me in the first place. I was raised in a small town, though, where people are more trusting of one another. Perhaps in a couple of years I will have become a jaded city prick.
yep, just like me.  8)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pwaybloe

I gotsa bum story:  

My wife and I were with my mother-in-law and this guy approached us in a parking lot.  He told us that he needed $20 to fill his tank up so he can go see his sister in the hospital.  She was apparently in a car accident and was a couple of hours away.

My mother-in-law said, "Well, I won't give you money, but if you meet me around the corner at the gas station, I can pay to fill up your car."  

He agreed, so we met him at the gas station and I filled up his tank.  He thanked and blessed us and the both of us were on our way.

Two weeks later, we were at a restaurant parking lot about 20 minutes away from where the above incident took place.  

The exact same guy approached us and asked if he could have $20 to fill up his tank so he can go see his sister in the hospital.  Same guy, same story.  

Obviously, my mother-in-law was furious.  She got on her cell phone and called the cops.  The bum said something about he was friends with the police chief and so on, and then he ran away.

Cops couldn't do anything, of course.  So that's the end.  True story.