PDL tv spots

Started by Ernie, June 25, 2003, 08:05:08 PM

Ernie

Alright so I'm kinda pissed that these things, the PDL tv spots did not end up on the dvd because I think they were awesome and they made me want to see the film even more. I figured there was an outside chance that they'd show up on there somewhere but...to no avail.

Anyway, here's the thing...I wondered if anybody for whatever reason had these things uploaded to their computer or even on tape or something and could give them to me somehow...either through the net or mail if they're not on your computer. I just really love them and it feels stupid that there's really no other way for me to obtain them. Maybe if somebody could direct me to a site where I could find them, that would probably be easier.

Thanks for whatever you can do.

ono

That goes double for me.  Seeing them on TV last September or October or whatever, I was so excited.  And I hadn't even seen Magnolia yet at that time, which speaks volumes, really.

Ernie

Yea, there was just something about them. I was getting chills hearing the narrator say "from the creator of Boogie Nights" or whatever, that was so cool.

Loved the shot of Barry and Lena sitting on that bench with the truck going by and the dust kicking up, that was an amazing shot. I was actually pretty disappointed that it wasn't in the film. There was no reason for it to be left out.

picolas

Quote from: ebeamanI was actually pretty disappointed that it wasn't in the film. There was no reason for it to be left out.

and you know this how?

Cecil

he is a unicorn. he knows ALL

Ernie

I just see so many places in the film it could have been included.

That and I just am being snippy because I think it's such a great shot.

MacGuffin

It was meant to be the end shot of the film, according to the screenplay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bud_Clay

Quote from: MacGuffinIt was meant to be the end shot of the film, according to the screenplay.

Speaking of which why wasnt that included in the deleted scenes of the dvd?  I was looking forward to watching that scene in it's entirety.

sphinx

there's a shitload, and i mean a shitload of stuff left off the dvd.  as you might hear in the recent radio interview, an alternate version of the movie was going to be compiled, but eventually it was decided that there would be too much effort in putting it together, blossoms and blood is a pretty nice compilation of just some of the stuff not used.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffinIt was meant to be the end shot of the film, according to the screenplay.

would have came full circle

sphinx

i'm going to call pta and demand that he give us all of his deleted scenes.  because really, what right does he have to keep them from us?  he only wrote and directed the fucking movie!

SoNowThen

In 40 years, when we're all old as fuck, Criterion will come out with the definitive 3 disc set of PDL, and we'll finally get everything we wanted.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

Quote from: SoNowThenIn 40 years, when we're all old as fuck, Criterion will come out with the definitive 3 disc set of PDL, and we'll finally get everything we wanted.
In 40 years discs might not exist.... :shock:

Fernando

Quote from: ebeamanYea, there was just something about them. I was getting chills hearing the narrator say "from the creator of Boogie Nights" or whatever, that was so cool.

I respect your opinion but personally have always hated that kind of advertising, pointing out previous work; so what can we expect, the same kind of movie? I know I don't because I'm very familiar with the works of PTA, but I wonder if the average viewer (meaning not film lovers like us) makes his/her own mind up about what to expect from such director, sure there are the trailers to lead in what everybody is about to see, and even those more than once tease you (EWS anyone?), but didn't mentioning prior work would make you think you're going to see a similar kind of film? Or at least something as good as the aforementioned?

The same feeling goes with when studios print in posters the infamous 'academy award nominee/winner', like if that alone would guarantee the film to be any good.

I'll say, let the trailer speak for itself.

Besides, IMO PTA is getting to the point that he no longer needs to do that, he might be right now among the three most respected young directors working today, and he's the best if you ask me.

ono

The other two being?  (Just curious; IMO, there's a large pool to choose from, but some more outstanding than others, of course.)