Do You Hate "Big Fat Greek Wedding"?

Started by SoNowThen, May 12, 2003, 06:19:22 PM

SoNowThen

Yep, I agree. Y'know what's funny, though? In that shitty Pie series, Stifler is about the only honest and real character to me. A total fuckin muppet who somehow gets ALL the good looking chicks. Bizarre. But I like the actor, he made me laugh in Road Trip. And I happened to have met one of his ex girlfriends... and she is a babe. So kudos to him for parlaying that retarded American Pie movie into some sweet blonde panties. Frank Mackey would be proud.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Okay, finally saw this today, and I have to say it was cute and funny at times. But the story is really nothing new, the jokes are recycled and those types of family stereotypes jokes were handled a lot better in a movie like "Moonstruck". The romance here is contrived, so the movie felt like let's get back to the crazy family scenes which made the film feel like Karen's introduction to the family and the wedding scenes in "GoodFellas" expanded to 90 minutes. At the same time I could see why it struck a chord with audiences because it plays on the indentification of family ("Oh, that's like my mother," or "my family does that too."). It wasn't a bad film, and I felt it was a better 'go against the family' film than "Bend It Like Beckham".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Just saw this again and its hilarous... the father is great... and even though I agree that there are some very good movies of this type... you have to give some credit to Tom's wife for the project and what it accomplished

foray

Finally, other people! Frankly, I can't remember most of the movie, or any jokes in it. "jokes". Even as a tv sitcom it is bad, bad, bad. I wish Rita Wilson would get out of there!

foray
touch me i'm sick

Vile5

Quote from: Tiffsaw it. hated it. went home. watched magnolia to wash it off me.
great post, ha ha ha...and i love your av Tiff

well the movie was nothing special for me, some laughs, nice, cute guy, but nothing more...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

NEON MERCURY

one question....those things called "gyros", how do you pronounce it ?????

BrainSushi

I don't hate the movie itself. It's got it's funny moments... no, it's not incredibly original (PDL would have been the better romantic comedy to get a screenplay Oscar nod last year), but it's enjoyable.

What I do hate is the fact that this is considered an "Indie" film. It's cliched enough to be a studio film, yet people call it "the underground Indie hit of 2002." That I can't stand. I mean, Tom Hanks produced it for Christ's sake!

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: BrainSushiWhat I do hate is the fact that this is considered an "Indie" film. It's cliched enough to be a studio film, yet people call it "the underground Indie hit of 2002."

It was an indie film. It didn't receive any funding from a major studio, that's what made it the success story - every one passed on it, so the funded it themselves. It even received a nomination at the IFP Spirit awards.

Quote from: BrainSushiI mean, Tom Hanks produced it for Christ's sake!

Clooney and Soderbergh produced "Far From Heaven" and that's considered an 'indie'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: BrainSushiWhat I do hate is the fact that this is considered an "Indie" film. It's cliched enough to be a studio film, yet people call it "the underground Indie hit of 2002."

It was an indie film. It didn't receive any funding from a major studio, that's what made it the success story - every one passed on it, so the funded it themselves. It even received a nomination at the IFP Spirit awards.

Quote from: BrainSushiI mean, Tom Hanks produced it for Christ's sake!

Clooney and Soderbergh produced "Far From Heaven" and that's considered an 'indie'.

It actually does have its indie credentials firmly intact on the level MacG points out. It just goes to show that "mainstream" and "indie" labels don't have too much to do with the content or themes of a film, necessarily... an "indie" distributor MIGHT be willing to take more of a risk on a more risky project, but then you see PDL released by Coca-Cola, too, and all kinds of unadventurous indie films are released... so it's just a crapshoot, really. I think Big Fat Greek Wedding could have been a huge studio movie if they'd had big stars in it. Even with all its other rather conventional attributes, I'm sure it had trouble because of lack of starpower.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Exodus 8:2

Quote from: NEON MERCURYone question....those things called "gyros", how do you pronounce it ?????

its pronounced "euros"
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

cine

Quote from: Exodus 8:2
Quote from: NEON MERCURYone question....those things called "gyros", how do you pronounce it ?????

its pronounced "euros"
No, that's ONE way to pronounce it. I pronounce it "Ji-Ro" - long 'i'.

RegularKarate

It's Yeeeeeeeros... not Yuros... with an Eeeeer, not an Uurrrr.

analogzombie

More like "My Big Fat Stereotyped Completely Offensive Greek Wedding Written by and Starring a Crazed Egomaniac who just Happens to be Friends with Tom Hank's Wife"
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.