Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, January 15, 2004, 01:01:29 PM

polkablues

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 24, 2013, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: polkablues on January 24, 2013, 04:36:44 PM
The Geekverse just achieved singularity.
this killer joke with 0 asshole vibes has one like 'cause why. explain why (w/o system's fatal flaws -- listen can i just say 'rhetorical')

Yes. I mean, no. Maybe?
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

you know what i related to recently
QuoteI've started to get used to people feeling like they already know me when they meet me. I've obviously only experienced it within the past year of my life, but it's really interesting to have so many people who you're not familiar with act familiar with you. So you do have to come up with a strategy for how to handle that, and mine has been to try to match that familiarity by being familiar back. I've decided that instead of feeling like it's creepy, I can feel like it's really kind for people to go out on a limb like that and be familiar with someone they've never met.
like you guys with your big post counts have to accept i know you better than you know me. that's a reality. i'm joking in a friendly way 'cause i read your shit all the time and think i can act friendly. it's your move

polkablues

Please don't interpret this as anything but an honest request for clarification:

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

jenkins

no, very good q. i assume if you're confused, others are.

i guess what i mean is i'd like read xixax before i registered. then i registered. i posted based on my "knowledge" of you people which wasn't based on interaction. i assumed i knew what you were like 'cause i'd read things you'd said to other people. trust me, there have been surprises.

so i come in like blazing my "chill vibes," or not even those vibes at first, just like regular internet neutrality, and then i blazed myself. and everyone was like,

well you've all been around. i for some reason didn't realize its smallness right away, and i didn't expect the sheriffs.

mogwai

Quote from: polkablues on January 24, 2013, 09:24:39 PM
Please don't interpret this as anything but an honest request for clarification:

Aha, but the question is, on what earth is it? Tattooine or Alderaan?

Sorry...  :yabbse-wink:

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on January 24, 2013, 09:24:39 PM

It's an attempt at a Jedi mind trick.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

jenkins

i feel like i'm entering lol territory, but i'll talk about this "jedi mind trick." that's turning it around on a person, right? i hundred-percent thought polka made a way mellow joke that no on cared about. he plain made me laugh.

only barbed shit gets cared about, like in terms of upvotes. it just makes me think there are lots of assholes here. i don't know for sure that there are, but that's what the upvotes make me think.

the % that aren't ass kicking are ass licking, it seems. i'm not into it. check my votes. check all two of them. i never harshed a person while here.

don't even understand it.

i'm like so generalizing. just like with polls, it's probs the crazies who vote. sorry everyone. keep being chill. i gotta bounce.

polkablues

That makes a lot more sense now. 

I think in general, upvotes are given for two reasons: a post made somebody laugh, or it provided them with new information that they appreciate.  If mean jokes are funny, they'll get upvotes.  But I don't think anybody here is intentionally malicious or anything like that.  This is a community, and all ranges of personalities are represented, but we're all united by a common interest, and that's always going to supersede the inevitable feuds and incivilities that come with interacting with other people.

And if you need proof that the people here are definitely not irredeemable assholes, just look at the most upvoted post on the entire board, which is neither a joke nor informative, but simply an opportunity for people to express their congratulations and respect for a longtime member of this community who's currently achieving success that everyone here has dreamed of.

jenkins

i want my last past to be:

i dont buy it. ya'll some dicks. and then 100 smiles. you guys are chill. just isn't my thing

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

MacGuffin

It’s Official: J.J. Abrams Will Direct & Produce STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Lawrence Kasdan & Simon Kinberg Consulting on the Film
Source: Collider

Disney and Lucasfilm have now confirmed what we already knew: J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII.  The press release was sent out this evening, announcing that Abrams will not only helm the new sequel, but he'll also produce through Bad Robot with Bryan Burk.  The announcement includes quotes from both producer and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy and Mr. George Lucas himself, and here's what Lucas had to say about the decision:

"I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller.  He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

Also of note, the press release adds that screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back) and Simon Kinberg (Sherlock Holmes) will be consulting on the project.  We previously learned that the two would have a hand in the scripts for further sequels/spinoffs, but it appears they're also collaborating on Episode VII.  Michael Arndt is writing the screenplay.

Here's the press release:

J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller.  He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg.  Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Does anyone (or everyone) else think this could be awesome?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

love the michael arndt hire. not stoked about jj abrams.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Quote from: squints on January 26, 2013, 02:17:26 AM
Does anyone (or everyone) else think this could be awesome?

There is no way Episode VII will be better than the original trilogy & there is no way it will be worse than the prequels. (via me.)

Yeah, I'm definitely excited.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

i am ultimatly excited about new Star Wars,
with low low expectations about Episode JJBinks Abrams,
but giddy at the idea of an Episode Faverau,
or dare i hope for an Episode Fincher.

Im content with my relationship to Stars Wars now.

..it reminds me of the relationship i have with a past girlfriend, where our time together was perfect,
but it was an ugly break up with both sides to share equal blame..
but we matured and are now able to keep in touch and remember the good times fondly, and "aw shucks" and kick the dirt about the bad times..
these new ones might be fun, like when we danced together at our friends wedding back in october.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza