21 Grams

Started by NEON MERCURY, May 09, 2003, 06:41:31 PM

mutinyco

I've seen it twice. I wrote a blurb about it at the link below and got some photos of director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

http://movienavigator.org/day13.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

godardian

Quote from: mutinycoI've seen it twice. I wrote a blurb about it at the link below and got some photos of director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

http://movienavigator.org/day13.htm

I pretty much agree with what you say, if I interpret it correctly. There are some problems, but they are well overshadowed by the excellence of the performances and, I think, the setting of mood/atmosphere by the director. The problems I had are in the story overtwisting, but I always, always go by Andrew Sarris's "It's not what, it's how," and by that standard, I think the film is phenomenal.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

cowboykurtis

astonishingly impressive movie.
...your excuses are your own...

meatball

Quote from: Slobh
Are you somehow related to meatwad?

Nope.

Pubrick

Quote from: cowboykurtisastonishingly impressive movie.
it kicked ur ass didn't it..
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: Slobh
Are you somehow related to meatwad?

Nope.

He's a fake.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: P

yea, i really loved this movie -- something about the tone, the atmosphere -- there were techtures and colors that you could almost smell. there were no "fabricated elements" to the proudction -- almost to the point of verite.
so powerful. i think naomi watts has a chance to win the oscar. i am being far from articulate, i think it still has to wash over me for a while -- would love to see it again.
...your excuses are your own...

godardian

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: P

yea, i really loved this movie -- something about the tone, the atmosphere -- there were techtures and colors that you could almost smell. there were no "fabricated elements" to the proudction -- almost to the point of verite.
so powerful. i think naomi watts has a chance to win the oscar. i am being far from articulate, i think it still has to wash over me for a while -- would love to see it again.

I think Watts was robbed of all the awards she deserved for Mulholland Dr., which I still think is the best performance of the new millennium.  She is pretty well-honored by the people who know what they're talking about, but it would be nice for the Institutions to acknowledge her excellence, too. She's quickly turning into a Julianne-caliber actor.

Her performance in this movie will destroy you.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

modage

i am so unbelievably excited about this movie, and if nothing goes wrong ill be seeing it tomorrow. i cant wait.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: godardian
I think Watts was robbed of all the awards she deserved for Mulholland Dr., which I still think is the best performance of the new millennium.  She is pretty well-honored by the people who know what they're talking about, but it would be nice for the Institutions to acknowledge her excellence, too. She's quickly turning into a Julianne-caliber actor.

Her performance in this movie will destroy you.

Agree 100% with you, it hugely surprised how her performance in M.Dr. was overlooked by the academy; I went to look up if she received any recognition by other awards and was pleasantly surprised that she indeed received some.

Now that I saw this, it pissed me off that Ron H. got it that year,   :yabbse-angry: .

As for 21 grams, it was a really great film, the puzzle like editing was great, I wonder had it been edited in a linear way would work as good as it did, I had some problems with the cinematography, although I have a feeling that the theater screwed up the projection of the film.

stalllove

i had such a wonderful night last night. Okay, so went to go see party monster at my local madstone, when i asked for the tickets he told me the show was cancelled, but he said he would get me some comp. tickets for anyother show whenever, okay, okay, so then i was just hanging out when i found out party monster was cancelled for a  press showing of 21 grams. After telling the guy how stoked i was about this movie he then got me and my lady tickets to see that as well. all for free. So, and now.

21 grams was, by far, the best movie of the year. Words can't even explain this movie. please go see it. It will change you.
 thanks for reading.

godardian

Quote from: stalllovei had such a wonderful night last night. Okay, so went to go see party monster at my local madstone, when i asked for the tickets he told me the show was cancelled, but he said he would get me some comp. tickets for anyother show whenever, okay, okay, so then i was just hanging out when i found out party monster was cancelled for a  press showing of 21 grams. After telling the guy how stoked i was about this movie he then got me and my lady tickets to see that as well. all for free. So, and now.

21 grams was, by far, the best movie of the year. Words can't even explain this movie. please go see it. It will change you.
 thanks for reading.

Seeing 21 Grams instead of Party Monster?

You were rescued from movie hell and swooped up into movie heaven, my friend. Party Monster is awful, just awful.

stalllove

i know, i didn't really want to see it. But i thought i would give it a try. No matter. I saw 21 grams. the best.

godardian

Quote from: stalllovei know, i didn't really want to see it. But i thought i would give it a try. No matter. I saw 21 grams. the best.

It really is possible that this will be the best movie of the year, unless something equally great or better (that'll be very difficult) comes along.