Started by MacGuffin, February 10, 2008, 01:53:09 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Starring: Kevin Spacey, Jim Sturgess, Masi Oka, Kate Bosworth, Laurence Fishburne 

Directed by: Robert Luketic 

Premise: The true story of the very brightest young minds in the country - and how they took Vegas for millions.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I really enjoyed this book. Amazing story. Hope the movie is good. I love gambling!!

cinemanarchist

Quote from: kal on February 10, 2008, 09:41:06 PM
I really enjoyed this book. Amazing story. Hope the movie is good. I love gambling!!

From the director of Legally Blonde, Win A Date With Tad Hamilton and Monster In Law...I wouldn't get those hopes up too high.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

MacGuffin

Ehhh... Sort of a by the numbers (pun intended) story of boy gets money, boy loses money, boy gets a life lesson in return. Nothing really new to push the 'rise and fall' plot. What kept distacting me was how it looked like it was shot on HD; the video limitations taking me out of the movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Missed this in theaters and will pick it up sometime very soon on Blu-ray. I'll see anything with Kevin Spacey in it, no exceptions, but lowered my expectations for this now that Mac reviewed it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

gob

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 30, 2008, 10:45:08 PM
Ehhh... Sort of a by the numbers (pun intended) story of boy gets money, boy loses money, boy gets a life lesson in return. Nothing really new to push the 'rise and fall' plot. What kept distacting me was how it looked like it was shot on HD; the video limitations taking me out of the movie.

Completely in agreeance with MacGuffin. This was very meh and the HD thing pissed me off. And whining about it pissed my girlfriend off. It really felt like the problem was with the director - you'd think constructing some tension and excitement with the source material should have been possible. I like Jim Sturgess though. He was the only good thing about Across the Universe and he did a good job here. He's like the average Joe version of McAvoy. Just hope he doesn't get wasted in any more crappy movies.

The Ultimate Badass

I agree with all the negative criticism of this movie, and the lack of posts here are a true testament of the film's worthlessness. BUT, how the hell did the get that panoramic shot (helicopter?) of Boston that traveled all the way down the river and focused on the face of Ben Sturgess on his bike over the bridge? Regardless of the movie's worthlessness, you gotta admit that that shot was at least semi-virtuoso.

pete

didn't they begin a shot like that in Be Kind Rewind as well?  Yeah, how do they do that?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SiliasRuby

What can I say. A run of the mill film, but I ultimately enjoyed everything in it. And Kevin Spacey, always magnificent.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

private witt

Anybody else notice this?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Kal

We have a thread called 'marketing copies' where we post those kind of similarities (if that is what you're referring to). I'm too lazy to look for the link, but you should.

private witt

I shall, thanks.  Why is the search function dead again?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

squints

Quote from: private witt on January 31, 2009, 04:02:17 AM
I shall, thanks.  Why is the search function dead again?

cause you broke it...just kiddin'

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8718.msg268595#new
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on August 03, 2008, 03:33:37 AM
I agree with all the negative criticism of this movie, and the lack of posts here are a true testament of the film's worthlessness. BUT, how the hell did the get that panoramic shot (helicopter?) of Boston that traveled all the way down the river and focused on the face of Ben Sturgess on his bike over the bridge? Regardless of the movie's worthlessness, you gotta admit that that shot was at least semi-virtuoso.

I'm going way back in time to answer this question, and I'm sure nobody cares anymore, but according to the director's commentary, which I was just bored enough to listen to the weekend that I rented it, it's a composite of two shots: the helicopter shot over the river swooping down towards the bridge, and what I think was a jib arm on a truck driving in front of Sturges on the bike.  So they started the move in towards him with the helicopter, finished it with the jib, and filled in the gap between the two shots digitally.

Basically, a lot of effort for such an aggressively middle-of-the-road movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

private witt

I suddenly have an urge to watch the opening of 'Touch of Evil'.