A needed adaptation

Started by Xixax, February 07, 2003, 11:53:31 AM

Xixax

This has been going on in my mind for quite some time.

In high school, my favorite book by far was F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby". I've seen 2 of the three movies dozens of times (still can't seem to run across the one made in the 50's). I personally prefer Robert Redford's 70's version more than the A&E Remake with Mira Sorvino - regardless of how hot she is.

Anyway, for years I've been batting around this idea, and I think I'm just not talented and/or experienced enough to make it work.

You know how Hollywood will take old classics and make them new when placed in a modern setting? Movies like Roxanne (Cyranno DeBergerac). come to mind. I also caught a modernized version of Macbeth on cable last week which was completely unmemorable.

Anyway, I've wanted to, for a long time, adapt The Great Gatsby and make it a 2003 teenageish version... Something along the lines of your standard popcorn fare (I see Freddie Prinze Jr.) only making it in a manner that it multi-faceted so that it's more intelligent that your regular face-value teen romance flick.

This story is so classic, and so timeless, I dream of what a really talented writer could do with it as a modern day screenplay set in the teenage world of today.

Man, I wish I had what it takes to do that. It has to be more than an idea. You've got to be gifted, which is something I fear I lack.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

SHAFTR

I've thought of adapting McTeague (by Frank Norris) into a modern setting.  I thought it would be great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Raikus

QuoteMan, I wish I had what it takes to do that. It has to be more than an idea. You've got to be gifted, which is something I fear I lack.

I doubt I'm that gifted, but I've been working on adapting "Billy Budd" to a Gulf War setting. Well, let's say loose adaptation. I'm adding in more but using the basic outline of Billy Budd for the script.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Victor

i dont know...

im not saying it couldnt work, or it wouldnt happen, but that story seems especially representative of the 1920's, and all the greed, drinking, class wars etc. that went with it. And why does every classic or Shakespearian story have some bad Frddie Prinze Jr/Julia Stiles movie to go with it?
are you gonna eat with us too?

Xixax

Quote from: Lesteri dont know...

im not saying it couldnt work, or it wouldnt happen, but that story seems especially representative of the 1920's, and all the greed, drinking, class wars etc. that went with it. And why does every classic or Shakespearian story have some bad Frddie Prinze Jr/Julia Stiles movie to go with it?
Well, the key difference here is that it would have to be adapted to be set in the modern day. There are still definitely different social levels in high school life, and that could be used in this setting.

But the real thing is that it would have to go deeper than a superficial retelling. It would need characters with real depth, just like the original. It is certiainly easy to see how the comparisons of the materialistic Daisy's and Tom's could convert, but it would take real writing skill to transcend the obvious and allow people to see the depth of character of Nick.

I think it really could rock in the right set of hands.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

PM me and make an offer... I'll do it for the right price.

BonBon85

And teenagers would flock to it so they could avoid having to read the novel for class and turn in essays that refer to the wrong time period. You'd be rich and you could laugh at them all....wickedly.

Xixax

*sigh*

Don't you guys understand???

I'm not talking about making a teen movie.

I'm talking about a serious, adult non-campy drama/love story that's set today and stars teenagers. I'm not endorsing more hollywood schlock. I'm talking about a REAL "film".
[/size]

BonBon85

I understand. I still know teens would see it instead of reading the book. They did it with Great Expectations.

I once tried to think of a way to adapt A Tale of Two Cities for modern times. It's difficult to adapt a classic into modern times without making it cheezy or forcing the characters into situations that would probably never happen.

Ghostboy

I know exactly what you're talking about. Going back to Shakespeare and Julia Stiles, 'O' was marketed as a teen film, but I thought it was dark, intelligent and very well made, and the fact that it didn't make much at the box office probably means that most teens didn't care for it. I think The Great Gatsby could easily be adapted to the same setting. It's a terrific story, and like most terrific stories it's pretty timeless. Sure, there are the twenties-specific details of the novel, but that would all be changed to whatever today's equivalent is.

Xixax

See, he gets it.

Now, quick, everybody go visit Ghostboy's killer web site!

Any new movies in the works, Ghost?
[/size]

Ghostboy

I've got a few things going slowly but surely. There's this one project I'm collaborating one with a few other filmmakers, called 'Deadroom,' and we shot a rough teaser trailer that you can see at http://deadroom.moonfruit.com. But I'm not hyping it too much because its so early in development, and we also kinda lifted some music from Sigur Ros for the trailer...

Thanks for the support!