any other Nick Drake fans here?

Started by SoNowThen, May 28, 2003, 10:46:25 AM

SoNowThen

I saw a short doc on him when I had my movie in the Vancouver Film Festival a couple years ago. Interested me a lot, so I eventually picked up the box set of all his stuff. Just amazing. I particularily love Hanging On A Star, which is haunting as hell, and just perfect for this part in a feature that I'm writing.

Anybody have any opinions on Drake?

BTW - some of his music was used in The Good Girl, but with the lyrics taken out. Does that mean you can't use him in movies??
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I always listen to Nick Drake when I feel like...well, I don't know how to describe it, but there's a certain time when you feel like Nick Drake and that's why Nick Drake is the best for those times
I like to hug dogs

Sigur Rós

I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I definately like his music. It's that kind of music you can't always listen to, you've got to save it for those speciel occasions  :wink:

godardian

Other films Drake music can be heard in, off the top of my head: Ratcatcher (no vocals) and Royal Tenenbaums (vocals included).

I really like him, but not in huge doses. I have the Way to Blue comp, and that's enough for me.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

polkablues

Nick Drake makes me ecstatically happy.  "Pink Moon" is one of my favorite albums of all time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

USTopGun47

Nick Drake=Godliness.  His music is used in many films - Serendipity also used his music.  In addition, a new film incorperating some of his music has just been released, and it's title borrows from one of his most famous songs - "Things Behind the Sun."  He is one of my favorite artists, like Slyvia Plath, just into music.  Such great songs, beautiful picking, greattt voice, amazing tunings.  Lyrics too - god they'll kill ya.  What a god... too bad he checked out so early.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Ghostboy

I've got his whole catalog. I don't know which is my favorite...I like to just put them all on in a row. They're kind of sad songs, but also sort of uplifting in a conetmplative sort of way. He's definitely one of my favorites.

They used 'Cello Song' in The Good Girl, and the rest of the score was definitely inspired by him as well.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiTrivia: Mogwai has recorded a song titled "Nick Drake".
that's one of the first things i ever said to u.

...memories..
under the paving stones.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

I was a sebadoh fan and they did pink moon, and then i went to the library and saw a C.d and well then i became a fan

" Which will you go for Which will you love Which will you choose from
From the stars above Which will you answer Which will you call
Which will you take for For your one and all And tell me now Which will you love the best "

i dig that song

wasnt pink moon in a car ad?

Kev Hoffman

I love Nick Drake.

I recently began relistening to his pieces quite frequently.  They're perfect "Sunday-morning" songs, being sad, but not too sad.

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

Unfortunately, yes. Now, along with the Buzzcocks' "What Do I Get?" I have to block out the image of a car sleekly cruising down a pristine country road every time I hear it. The world of advertising must look something like Night of the Living Dead. Or, more obviously, How to Get Ahead in Advertising.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

My friend and I have started boycotting Subway because of Clay Henry and Jared, etc. Probably next they'll use a song I love.

I really don't mind good songs in commercials, as long as the commercials are quality. But I haven't heard/seen the Nick Drake one.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

polkablues

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

Unfortunately, yes.

That car ad was how I discovered Nick Drake in the first place.  Same for a lot of people out there, I imagine.  Besides, I'd rather hear songs I like when I'm watching TV than have to sit through crappy music by bands whose fans don't mind if they sell out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i have mixxed emotions on the tv ad thing

sometimes it helps a song in a weird way because its on tv all the time and it gets in your head

and sometimes it could ruin a song

i still remember " melt with you" being used by burger king to show melted cheese, and i thought well that aint right

no disrespect to BK, But the ad was wack

Sleuth

I usually don't care, but when the advertising is effective, I have a problem.  I really don't want one of my favorite songs to automatically make me think of a stupid fucking car
I like to hug dogs