Dvd Player Help (Regions, NTSC to Pal conversions)

Started by SoNowThen, May 12, 2004, 01:57:07 PM

SoNowThen

'kay, so I'm prepping for my move to Europe. I'll be taking my 300+ dvd's with me (unfortunately I have to leave the boxes here  :cry: ).

Now, many of you folks have spoken about All Region Players. My questions branch off that topic.

1. Obviously I will be waiting to buy an all region player over there, so the plug-in is compatible with their power sources. Are all region players readily available over there, or is this a black market thing, or do I have to get a regular player and buy some kind of extra software that goes into the player?

2. Do Regions and NTSC/PAL have direct relationships? If I get an all region player in Europe, will I be able to play my R1 dvds bought here, or will I also need some kind of extra NTSC - PAL converter?

3. (not quite dvd related) In terms of my Canon XL1S and my editing computer -- I assume the Canon records in NTSC. To make my computer work over there, I will have to get a converter for its power supply. Once I've done that, to film/edit/make dvds, will I have to do more conversion from the source tapes (eg. tape on Canon in NTSC, put on computer, convert to PAL on computer -- if this is possible -- edit and output on dvd?) Or, in the dvd making process can I just choose to make either NTSC or PAL dvds? Cos I'd like to be able to send stuff back home for people to see, so I'll need to be making both kinds of discs. Or maybe I can just make All-Region discs...

Help. Thanks. Yeah.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Those are all excellent questions. I, too, await a reply (not because I'll be jaunting off to Europe like some lucky S.O.B.'s, but because I've often considered getting an all-region player here so I can purchase and partake of the often superior quality/selection of European and Asian DVDs).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

jasper_window

as far as your first two questions go I can't definitely say cause I don't definitely know, but for numero 3, as far as exporting and importing footage from your computer, nothing changes from doing the same over here.  Unless you bought a PAL camera, it will record in NTSC.  If you cut something on your computer and output to your camera, you'll have a NTSC master which you can send home to friends etc...  If you want to show people over there, you'll have to get a conversion done.  You can do so by bringing your tape to a dub house and they'll convert it for you.  You will notice some slight color changes when converting to PAL from NTSC, and vice versa.

hope this helps.  good luck and enjoy!

SoNowThen

Thank you, that does help.

Also, was this:
Quote from: jasper_windowas far as your first two questions go I can't definitely say cause I don't definitely know

a reference to Mr Pink? If so,  :yabbse-thumbup:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

There are only a few brands that aren't multiregion out of the box. Sony being one of them. A lot just require a code to be entered on the remote control to make them multi region. This can be done by just searching for your make and model online.

Pretty much all new TV's can handle the different broadcast formats. It may not be quite as simple as Pal/Ntsc however, because some countries operate on SECAM and Im not sure how compatible that is. That may even just be for broadcasting, because as I said pretty much all new TV's can handle NTSC signals.

Convertors aren't really neccesary. Just a scart lead from the DVD to the TV will do the trick.

I import region 1's to the UK all the time and I have no problems.

Oh and for the DV side of things, if you can get your head round it all, it my be cheaper to do your own conversion. I've found this article useful in the past.

http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

Awesome. I have a Sony.  :(

Red, what's a "scart lead"?

Redlum

Might want to do a quick search to check on your model. Some you can remote hack, some need connecting to a pc to update firmware, and others needs chipping. The store who sold me my Sony updated the firmware for £5. On the other hand cheap Multiregion players go for as little as £30--40 now.

A scart lead looks like this:

They're more common than s-video or composite, and very suitable for NTSC as they operate on an RGB colour system. With the other connection types there are often problems with a NTSC image coming out in black and white.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

Beautiful! Thanks much.

One more question, now that we're on the topic, What is the difference between interlaced and progressive scan?

Redlum

No worries. Hope it all goes well.

Interlaced and Progressive are kind of hard to explain without numbers. Interlaced is basically two combined fields (flicker), and progressive is one complete frame ata time.

This is clear:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/learn/about/chapters/0,,2076_3105627_3105643,00.html
  -  George Lucas

jasper_window

Quote from: SoNowThenThank you, that does help.

Also, was this:
Quote from: jasper_windowas far as your first two questions go I can't definitely say cause I don't definitely know

a reference to Mr Pink? If so,  :yabbse-thumbup:

It most definitely was. :-D
A great line...

NEON MERCURY

sorry but....i don t have any answers to your question(s) but .. i ve got a question for you....are you moving to europe or just chilln there for vacation or something?......

SoNowThen

Hey All,

Got settled into London. Need to sort out a Multi Region player.

I might order the Yakumo XL2 from Amazon. Any word on it, good or bad? Anybody know of any other reliable (for playing R1 discs) multi player for under £100?

Quote from: SoNowThenHey All,

Got settled into London. Need to sort out a Multi Region player.

I might order the Yakumo XL2 from Amazon. Any word on it, good or bad? Anybody know of any other reliable (for playing R1 discs) multi player for under £100?

I envy you for being in London.
Try the JVC XV S42. That's the player I had and it read any kind of DVD.  I'm sure you can get it for under 100 quids if you search wisely.

http://www.dvdreview.net/hardware/details.shtml?hardware.REF=99&revreg.REF=1
context, context, context.

Redlum

Yeah £100 seems a bit pricey. I'd more than highly recomend the following online and high street retailer (I'm sure there's one close to you in London): www.richersounds.co.uk . Amazing customer service and they only stock good stuff. Just from having a quick look I'd probably go for the Toshiba SD330 SILVER (Multi-region) at £60. They are definately the best place to buy anything like this, and their staff actually know what they're talking about.
  -  George Lucas

SiliasRuby

Does Anyone Know of any Places in Los Angeles that sell region free DVD players?....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection