the shins

Started by cowboykurtis, October 28, 2003, 12:39:49 PM

cowboykurtis

does anyone know what the new single is off of chutes too narrow.
...your excuses are your own...

smash

I'm loving this new album....got it last week.

Pedro

Saw them live at Austin City Limits music fest this year....they were really good stuff...im defenitely gonna buy the new album soon.

moonshiner

the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

xerxes

my friend gave me chutes too narrow last week and i must say it's pretty damn good... kissing the lipless is great

SHAFTR

I was going to start a thread about this band today.

I really am intrigued by this band, I want to give them more of a listen.  All I have heard is 15 second tidbits of their songs on iTunes.  I hope to get my hands on one of their albums before long.  I miss the days of free mp3s because of this.  I don't want to buy blind the album, I'd like to give it a listen before I put down $12.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mister mister

Ooooh I'm so getting this album.

I heard a song of theirs a couple of weeks back when I was sitting in the car, waiting for some Chinese, and it was so goddamn good.

Sigur Rós

Argh, this song called Saint Simon is caught in my head.  :oops:

JG

First off I am disappointed with the lack of discussion about the shins.  one of the best bands working today.   If you didn't know, there's a new album in the works, I think it's called "Sleeping Lessons."  There was a rolling stone article about it a month or two ago.  Apparently James Mercer is a insomniac and a lot of the new songs were written late at night when he couldn't sleep.  they've already layed down drum tracks and our going to be working on it during the winter and spring at james's home studio. 

The album has been kept under wraps for the most part, but they're trying a new song live, and I think it's called "Circus Walk."  Here it is:  http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0HMI529K25WRI3A9CU15HN63Y0

i think it's pretty rad.   enjoy. 

hedwig

the first 30 seconds of about two of their songs are decent, i guess. other than that,  :sleeping:

modage

they're one of my favorite bands.  but like most of my favorite bands it took me a lot of listens to get into them.  in this case, it took me a few years.  downloaded Oh Inverted World after release and praise.  did nothing for me, all the songs sounded the same.  a few years later Chutes Too Narrow is released and also gets a bunch of praise.  maybe i'll give them another shot?  sound expanded but as soon as the opening vocals kicked in i remembered i was not going to like this much.  gave album a handful of listens and still nothing.  another year or two later for WHATEVER REASON i cant even remember i gave chutes another listen and it started to click.  then after a few months of daily listening i worked backwards and got into oh inverted.  more months passed and i decided i loved them.  b-sides were collected.  strong desire to see them live.  then, the proclaimation: yes, they probably are one of my top 10 bands right now.  which can only mean that they will let me down with the next album.  (rule of thumb for me: like something.  love something.  obsess.  disappointment.  probably partially my fault but usually the artists fault too).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I always forget how much I love the Shins until they get brought up in conversation.  But yeah, I'd say top five bands, definitely.  Chutes is a ridiculously brilliant album.  James Mercer writes these amazing, obtuse lyrics, and marries them to the melody of the song so completely that you don't even think to try and figure out what they mean until you've heard the song twenty times.  And then when you do, the songs just get better.

...If I could find a good link to it, I'd put "Pink Bullets" in the Favorite Music Videos thread.  If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

i find them to be just another forgettable band of the early 00s, not even their fans remember them.

Quote from: polkablues on January 14, 2006, 07:52:12 PM
...If I could find a good link to it, I'd put "Pink Bullets" in the Favorite Music Videos thread.  If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

yeah it's a good video.. check out the director's site at www.adambizanski.com it's the bee's knees.

here's the vid

(13MB)
(27MB)
under the paving stones.

JG

...so wincing the night away has officially leaked.

thoughts? 

initially, i thought this album was a huge disappointement.  but its really growing on me, as i should've predicted. 

the only song i genuinely think sucks is sea legs, which sounds like some annoying late 90s UK band.

key tracks:

australia
sleeping lessons
turn on me
red rabbits
girl sailor (formerly known as "won one too many fights")

samsong

i love it, but the initial listen through was very jarring.  Australia's a fantastic song.