I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

cine

Ordered these online last night:

Pedro

Ernie

Quote from: samsong

Wow man, that's a fuckin beautiful cover right there. I don't think I've ever heard of it....or this Ozu guy either, I've never heard of him I don't think. I'll have to check this one out.

modage

Quote from: ebeamanI don't think I've ever heard of it....or this Ozu guy either, I've never heard of him I don't think. I'll have to check this one out.

its on the critics top ten for the sight and sound poll of the best films of all time.  i still havent seen it yet, but that must mean its atleast worth watching.

CRITICS TOP 10
1.Citizen Kane
2.Vertigo
3.La Regle Du Jeu
4.The Godfather Part One and Two
5.Tokyo Story
6.2001: A Space Odyssey
7.Battleship Potemkin
8.Sunrise
9.8 ½
10.Singin In The Rain
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: FernandGuffin

BTW, Ikiru is in my wish list, let me know if it's worth it, though I'm almost sure it is.

It's well worth it. Probably my second favorite Kurosawa now, right after High and Low.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

samsong

Quote from: ebeamanWow man, that's a fuckin beautiful cover right there. I don't think I've ever heard of it....or this Ozu guy either, I've never heard of him I don't think. I'll have to check this one out.

I just saw it and it fucking crushed me.  Tokyo Story is a work of pure genius and is, alongside Kurosawa's Ikiru, the greatest Japanese films... no, fuck that, one of the greatest films ever made (Ikiru included).  This is an essential for anyone and everyone, the perfect remedy for the "wretched excess" (Friedkin, Decade Under the Influence.... i love that term) in cinema today.  Ozu implements a style so mind-bogglingly simple yet MUCH more effective than just about any other stylistic choice I've ever seen.  Ozu offers in Tokyo Story (my first experience with him) one of the most beautifully observant works ever put on film, whose influence is very clear in the works of Ozu worshippers like Wim Wenders and Jim Jarmusch (others include Aki Kaurismaki, Hou Hsiao Hsien and Claire Denis but I haven't seen their films... yet).  People will lead you to believe that this is just a stellar exploration of family, which it most definitely is.  But the film holds within it the very geography of life, perfectly mapped and brilliantly illustrated.

Simply put, Tokyo Story is a masterpiece.  An absolute masterpiece.  I can't wait to revisit it (which will probably be tomorrow... and I still have six blind buys to go through).

I'm not that familiar with Ozu, but I've known for a long time that he's one of the giants of Japanese cinema.  I'm a Kurosawa enthusiast and after seeing Tokyo Story, I feel comfortable in saying that Ozu is in every way Kurosawa's equal.

ono

Annie Hall ($12.99)

Eyes Wide Shut ($14.99) Figured it was about time I bought this one.  I just hope they never release some super-duper new box set of his films.  Knock on wood.

Storytelling ($19.99)  Solondz's best.  Satire at its finest.

A Decade Under the Influence ($19.99)  This was a blind buy, but I love certain documentaries, especially ones about film, and it's at least three hours long, so I figure it'll be worth it.  I hope.

Ghost World ($14.99) Scarlett Johansson and Thora Birch are two of the most beautiful women ever, not to mention they can act their asses off.

Merry Christmas to me.  I had a $25 gift card, and Borders was running a "Buy four, get one free" make-your-own-DVD-box-set special, so I got all this for under $50.  :-D  There were so many titles I put back, though, for later.  So many movies, so little cash.

And thanks to samsong's raving review of Tokyo Story, I'm gonna bump that one up in my Netflix queue.  Hope it's great.

context, context, context.

godardian

Quote from: chuckhimselfowise choices there.

Yes, those are all parts of the best collections (including mine!). I slightly prefer Happiness to Storytelling, but think Storytelling is much more wrongfully unappreciated.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind for $12.99

^
|
|
|
|
|

Blind buy.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

jtm

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobConfessions of a Dangerous Mind for $12.99

^
|
|
|
|
|

Blind buy.

me too!  just bought yesterday.  haven't watched it yet tho.

Weak2ndAct

Gotta ring in the new year right:

Classic Miike: chicks with dicks, children as assassins, yakuza antics, and a girl who can fire darts from, uh, someplace below the belt.

analogzombie

OH YES!! love that Miike!
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

penfold0101

The January sales are brilliant!

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Banky

this thing has a really unique box set inside where the dvds pull out a bove and below the box