Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

PT vs QT at Oscars (PT's a lock but not QT, agreed).
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Sleepless

Who gives a fuck anymore, really? Both films will have the weight of Weinstein behind them, however. My money is on Harvey being smart enough to recognize The Master as the award-bait, Django as the moneymaker.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Wait....so you give a fuck? It's (the Oscars) like the Kentucky Derby. Not important or ultimately meaningful but fun for the betting.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Fernando

just today I was wondering that if the master is already filming it could have a dec/2012 release, given how the whinesteins love awards, but with this news who knows, that month is packed as it is and they are already supporting his boy qt.

and they unfortunately love oscars, so lets hope the master gets a fall release in 2012 or we will probably see it until 2013..

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

But Django's partner studio could split award campaign costs right? I don't know the politics, does it not work that way?

Stefen

I just read this screenplay and really liked it. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with QT. When he's on his game nobody can touch him and he's on his game here. The script really rolls along. It doesn't let up much. While reading (and ultimately watching) Inglorious Basterds, I always found most of the parts with Shoshanna and the movie theater to be boring and really slow the film down. There's none of that here. From the second you meet Django and Schultz, it really keeps its steam. And that actually kind of worried me a bit. I'm hoping we get those awesome long takes and wide shots that were always in the Leone films. LOVE THOSE.

It's going to be controversial if it's filmed the way it's written. There's rape, gory and bloody murders, animal cruelty (which bothered me and I wish it was taken out), but what's going to be the most controversial is the word Nigger. It must have been said about 1000 times in the screenplay. Every way you can say Nigger, it's said. It's needed and I hope it doesn't change, but that's going to be the most controversial part of the movie, I think.

I read it envisioning the roles that are rumored and some worked, some didn't.

Christolph Waltz is PERFECT for Schultz. You can really tell that QT wrote the role for him.

And I really hope Leonardo DiCaprio plays Calvin Candie. I think he would be good. The thing is, the character doesn't even show up until around the 50 page mark. It's a pretty small role. It's highly memorable, but it's not even one of the top 3 characters screen time wise. The character is pretty ruthless and Leo could pull it off.

STEPHEN, the house Nigger could be played by Danny Glover. I think that would be fine casting. Is this the role Sam Jackson is doing? He would be fine too. Stephen seems older tho. It's funny, Danny Glover and Sam Jackson are 2 years apart, yet it feels like Danny Glover is so much older than Sam Jackson. Both would be fun. 

As for Django, Will Smith just isn't black enough. And I don't like Jamie Foxx here either but that could be because I'm not a fan of him. I would like to see Michael K. Williams in the role. I think he could pull it off. It's a bad ass role. It needs to be a bad ass dude in the role.

It's like Inglorious Basterds except it's more realistic, but still sort of cartoony at times, which is fine. It will get the same praise and accolades that IG did. It won't be winning any best picture awards, but it could have some acting nods. It will be a fun movie. Meatheads will love it, everyone here will be divided 50/50, but we'll all have a blast watching it for the first time before it's pros and cons really sink into our brains.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

I haven't read the script, and I already know I'll love it.

MacGuffin

Jamie Foxx Chosen For The Lead Role In Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'?
Source: Playlist

Yes, this bit of news is coming just from a tweet right now, but it comes from someone who has been on point for some of the biggest news surrounding Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" thus far. Former Creative Screenwriting magazine Senior Editor and host of "The Q&A" podcast Jeff Goldsmith tweeted yesterday evening, "Will Smith is out! Inside sources tell me that Tarantino has chosen Oscar winner @iamjamiefoxx to play Django! #fb" If you have your doubts, Goldsmith was one of, if not the first person to tweet about Will Smith's interest in Quentin Tarantino's Spaghetti Western slavery epic. And he also was hip to Leonardo DiCaprio's involvement before it got to the trades. Clearly, Goldsmith's sources are pretty well informed.

While Quentin Tarantino actively sought out Will Smith for the lead role—with the actor's longtime home Sony landing the foreign film rights in an effort to lure Smith—the writing has been on the wall for a while now. With days turning to weeks, it quickly became apparent Smith might not be so hot on the role and assortment of other names including Jamie Foxx, Idris Elba and Chris Tucker began entering the mix. In fact, if you like a good conspiracy, there have been some suggestions that the Weinsteins involvement in Paul Thomas Anderson's Scientology skewering "The Master" put Smith off of working with the studio completely, but of course, that's just a rumor. However, Foxx stepping into the lead role is frankly, just as strong a substitute both from both a business and artistic standpoint.

Not only is Foxx a big enough star to keep the backers happy in lieu of Smith, but he's also a good fit for the role—not as imposing as Elba (Django is described as being fairly slight), not as annoying as Tucker—with action experience and an ability to turn out good performances when he's not slumming it in "Valentine's Day" and "Law Abiding Citizen." It should also be noted, we were also told a couple weeks ago by Warner Bros. that they'd been pursuing Foxx for a role in "Gangster Squad," but that the scheduling didn't work out—was Foxx holding out for "Django Unchained?"

Add it all up, and we're pretty sure a story will be hitting the trades about Foxx being in negotiations for the film in the near future (it was about a week between the DiCaprio tweet and the news hitting outlets). Should it all work out, he'd join Christoph Waltz, as benevolent German bounty hunter Dr. King Schultze, Samuel L. Jackson as the villain's right-hand man and head house-slave Stephen, and Leonardo Di Caprio, as the villain, Calvin Candie (who last we heard was still in talks). "Django Unchained" hits theaters on Christmas Day 2012
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Whatever prevents Jamie Foxx from making more music is fine with me.

picolas

he did manage to make eli roth watchable.

Stefen

A girl I know has the biggest crush on Eli Roth in Inglorious Basterds. She was telling me he's so hot in it because he's kind of fat and out of shape and so hairy and his eyebrows are so bushy and he just looks so manly.

I looked at her in disgust. She was disgusting me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Yet another baseless attempt by the playlist to start a ridiculous Scientology rumor. Didn't they learn from mod's fuck up?

Not to mention the usual grammatical errors, superfluous use of "of".. what gets me the most is the insistence on trying to make The Master into some kind of anti Scientology manifesto.

They must hate pta.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, calling it a "Scientology skewering" is not only premature and baseless—but actually contradicted by things we know. Also makes it sound like a satire.

I get the sense that they just throw in things like that on a whim because they sound interesting.

Stefen

The Playlist is a gossip site with occasional news. It's really bad.

What makes it worse is that it used to be awesome. Best blog on the net. 

MacGuffin

Kerry Washington In The Mix To Play Broomhilda In 'Django Unchained'
Source: Playlist

While nothing is official on Quentin Tarantino's highly anticipated slave/western/vengeance flick "Django Unchained," this is the way it's shaping so far. Jamie Foxx would play the titular Django, who under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter played by Christoph Waltz squares off against Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) the brutal owner of mixed race club and his top slave, the manipulative Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson) in order to free his wife Broomhilda...which brings us to this latest bit of news.

As the trades chased the news of Foxx being "chosen" to play the lead in Tarantino's film, Variety offered up a new morsel of info, revealing that Kerry Washington is in the mix of contenders to play Broomhilda in the film. In our script review of "Django Unchained" we said that the character itself is kind of thing essentially amounting to the damsel in distress of the picture, who really loves her man, and... that's about it. The tricky thing about casting this part is the fact the role would require a fair amount of nudity which might nix the interest of some of the bigger A-list type names (ie. Zoe Saldana or Paula Patton).

Again, there isn't much to the part and while we'd love to see someone like Taraji P. Henson or Naomie Harris (who is being lured for "Bond 23") jump into the film, we won't be surprised if a smaller name winds up snagging the part (we suggest Meagan Good ("Eve's Bayou," "Brick," "D.E.B.S") or Teairra Mari from "The Lottery Ticket"). An interesting bit to keep an eye on regardless, and we're sure more names will surface in the coming days. Lots more parts still to cast with a lot of time to get it together. Filming starts later this year, with a Christmas Day 2012 release date scheduled.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks