PTA DVD Project?

Started by depooter, April 11, 2003, 07:18:18 PM

Jon

depooter

OK. I'm still waiting for someone with DVD experience to step up to the plate, collect all the materials and get rolling??????

Duck Sauce

Not to volunteer anybody but Ive heard Xixax rave about his DVD software.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanEbert squaring off with Joyce Kulhawik. I used to listen to the ram file all the time, until it was pulled from the site. Someone PLEASE find that

I FOUND IT!

Here's the mp3:

Everyone should listen to this.

Gold Trumpet

Many thanks, JB. Great stuff, or shall I say, great bad stuff. Ebert was great in pointing out the thing Anderson has going for him that I'm not sure any other director these days has, and thats pure freedom in his films. Its a hard thing to get and even if you may like other directors, you still can kinda predict or assume what they will do next or how they will do it. The female critic with the last name that is hard to spell only feeds for the encouragement of by the books filmmaking that everyone is being dragged along. It's just that some can spin interesting stories along the way.

~rougerum

Pubrick

ebert is so awesome.

thanks JB, i can now post in sphinx's enemy thread!
under the paving stones.

©brad

grrr... i tell u, i'm a pretty angry person, but hey- u can talk shit all day about me, my mom, whatever, its all peanuts in comparison to someone saying stupid shit like this about movies, especially this movie. i mean honestly, i really wish physical pain on this woman.

godardian

I wouldn't go so far as to praise the erratic and often virtually illiterate Ebert, but he comes off very well in this case. But the other woman was, what, a local radio or TV critic? Those people are paid for their idiocy.

The thing that pissed me off the most was nothing about the frogs. It was a local (Portland, OR) critic calling the "Wise Up" sequence "something out of Cop Rock." So many things wrong with that statement. I never trusted that reviewer's opinion again (though I should've been forewarned when he gave Saving Private Ryan five stars... out of four. What an asshole).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Ebert has a love, passion, and appreciation for movies that always shows, no matter how literate he is. This is a man who took the torch from Pauline Kael, and made film criticism into a celebrity -- and he did it sincerely. It's so not cool to hack Ebert.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenEbert has a love, passion, and appreciation for movies that always shows, no matter how literate he is. This is a man who took the torch from Pauline Kael, and made film criticism into a celebrity -- and he did it sincerely. It's so not cool to hack Ebert.

I agree, but it takes more than love, passion, and appreciation to make a good writer. Kael passed her torch to no-one, though there were a great many who angled for it... I do respect the qualities you mention, and he may be responsible for praising a fair number of under-the-carpet films to a mainstream American audience, but when it comes to Ebert as a writer... well, I often find myself rolling my eyes far, far back into my head.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gold Trumpet

I always knew Ebert was not the best of writers, but with the thoughts he gave me in devloping my own taste, I didn't think the writing was that important. The more and more I grow, the more I am disagreeing with Ebert but on the whole, I would say my taste is generally best with his.

The critic that is the most challenging for me and the very best writer though is Stanley Kauffmann. Sometimes I think he is completely wrong, but sometimes I think he says things no one else will observe on a movie and be of genius because he will be exactly correct. Kauffmann is the one now who is forwarding my understanding of the movies and giving me the example of how to write really great reviews in one a few paragraphs for each movie. You name the movie, the guy likely didn't like it, but he always makes you think over your own reasons in the most challeging way which is best for me. His big list of bad films from 2001 reads as everyone's top ten best list, with notable exceptions like In the Bedroom and Mulholland Drive, which he loved. The most ballsy film critic and prolly the most interested in the art of it all.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Sarris wrote great reviews. So did Schrader, and Godard. Reading anything by these guys make me excited, even when they rip a film I like. Sontag wrote some wonderful stuff, too.

I got to write movie reviews for the local paper. I panned Night Of The Hunter, which I can't stand. I didn't get anymore articles after that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Ooops.... digression.

What's the status of the PTA dvd?

depooter

not to be a party pooper, but if no one is going to step forward, it looks like this project will not get off the ground...

sorry....maybe down the road...

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenSarris wrote great reviews. So did Schrader, and Godard. Reading anything by these guys make me excited, even when they rip a film I like. Sontag wrote some wonderful stuff, too.

I got to write movie reviews for the local paper. I panned Night Of The Hunter, which I can't stand. I didn't get anymore articles after that.

...which just goes to show it's an editorial flaw that's partly to blame for bringing down the quality of movie reviews. Not that I don't like Night of the Hunter (Agee was quite a well-known film writer, too), but you have got to give your writers their own voice and let them keep it. As a freelance writer, I've experienced the same thing you have... stop toeing the part line even for a second, and they find ways to silence you.

I am disappointed about the PTA thing... does this mean the actual short itself will not be released, or just that DVDs will be unavailable?