Winner: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner: Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Winner: Cate Blanchett for The Aviator

Best Achievement in Directing
Winner: Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Winner: Sideways - Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Winner: The Aviator - Robert Richardson

Best Achievement in Editing
Winner: The Aviator - Thelma Schoonmaker

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Winner: The Aviator - Dante Ferretti, Francesca LoSchiavo

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Winner: The Aviator - Sandy Powell

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Winner: Finding Neverland - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Winner: Diarios de motocicleta - Jorge Drexler("Al Otro Lado Del Río")

Best Achievement in Makeup
Winner: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Valli O'Reilly, Bill Corso

Best Achievement in Sound
Winner: Ray - Greg Orloff, Bob Beemer, Steve Cantamessa, Scott Millan

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Winner: The Incredibles - Michael Silvers, Randy Thom

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Winner: Spider-Man 2 - John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, John Frazier

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Winner: The Incredibles - Brad Bird

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Winner: Mar adentro - Alejandro Amenábar (Spain)

Best Documentary, Features
Winner: Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids - Zana Briski, Ross Kauffman

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Winner: Mighty Times: The Children's March - Robert Hudson, Robert Houston

Best Short Film, Animated
Winner: Ryan - Chris Landreth

Best Short Film, Live Action
Winner: Wasp - Andrea Arnold
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

best i've seen in my 23 years. period.

surprised that marty and aviator got shit-canned in the end, but hell, maybe clint and million babe are the better picks. still torn about that one.

t'was an excellent show, tho.

Stefen

Moarty was robbed! Clint had Swank, Freeman and himself. he shouldnt win shit. But mdb was fantastic, but damn, Marty deserved it, Avitator was alot harder to direct than mdb.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro

The Aviator is a film that obviously benefits from the way that Scorcese chose to tell the story.  Without his stylistic touches and ways of handling preformances, the film could have been much more safe and uninteresting.

Million Dollar Baby, while fantastic, is more about the story that is told and not about the way that it's told.

planet_jake

Pretty dissapointing stuff... I haven't been this dissapointed since Titanic won 12 Oscars :roll:.  I am actually pretty fumed off that Finding Neverland won anything at all :evil:.  But by my estimation here are the names who I felt deserved thier awards:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Winner: Jamie Foxx for Ray

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Winner: Cate Blanchett for The Aviator

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Winner: The Aviator - Robert Richardson

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Winner: The Incredibles - Brad Bird

Alethia

yeah, the oscars are worthless.  what a disappointing show.

i wish next year mtv and ampas get together and form the ultimate award ever.  are there any cool awards nowadays  aside from the ones they hand out in res magazine?
context, context, context.

Recce

K, guys, I know I sound paranoid, but I was freaked out all night. Seriously, no one was there, adn they kept popping these huge stars from the back who were not in the audience. Where the hell were they keeping them? And why? Where was Jim Carrey and Jude Law and Tom Hanks and Spielberg and Coppola and Nicolas Cage and Brad Pitt and the Clooney guy, Catherine Zeta Jones and Douglas. Seriously, am I the only one? Something was going on.

Also, I can't believe Scorcese got nothing. How can Scorcese not have an oscar by now. HOW!!!
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

modage

for charlie kaufman to have an oscar seems incredibly bizarre.  like, he is the 'outsider' and he has just been accepted by the establishment.  very very weird.  

beyonce doing 3 songs = awful.
cutting to jayz a million times = ditto
p diddy presenting = yep.

i realize chris rock is hosting and everything, which he did a decent job but the shows efforts to 'hip' itself up were pretty lame.  isnt beyonce at enough awards shows?  weird how rock talked about f 9/11 and passion during the monologue and not.... any of the movies nominated in any major catagories.  but i guess thats the joke.

Quote from: themodernage02its likely that MDB will sweep the oscars for major categories.  i'm guessing best picture, director, actress and maybe adapted screenplay.  but these awards have always been the anti-oscars.
so ono, you got your wish here.  poor marty and poor aviator, if MDB hadnt snuck out at the last minute from outta nowhere it probably would've won everything.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Recce

And why did Beyonce do 3 songs? Its like the singers all backed out at ther last second and they came up to her before the show and were like 'K, you gotta do three songs, the first one is in french...GO!!!'
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

©brad

ono

Quote from: Pedro the AlpacaMillion Dollar Baby, while fantastic, is more about the story that is told and not about the way that it's told.
Disagree completely.  MDB wouldn't have been nearly as masterful had it not been told by a director with such a smooth, clear vision, not to mention the subtle stylistic touches that made the film so gripping in the beginning and moving in the end.
Quote from: planet_jakeBut by my estimation here are the names who I felt deserved thier awards...
You obviously havn't seen Million Dollar Baby.

And yeah, I did get my wish.  It was sweet, but I didn't get to see it live.  I was busy shooting a film.  How ironical.  Sucks that Thomas Haden Church didn't get the win.  Freeman wasn't that great in MDB.  He was good, but he didn't really prove, there, he could act.  Glad to see that Sideways got something.  Now to watch the Oscars using the fast-forward button.  Ah, technology.

I did see the beginning, the monologue, before I had to leave, and Christ Rock was pretty great.

matt35mm

I thought the show was fine.  The main odd thing that stuck out to me was the choice of The Star Trek Theme and the Terminator theme as the main themes of the Oscars.

I don't think I won the Oscar Pool I was in, though.  I got 17/24.  Damn.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02weird how rock talked about f 9/11 and passion during the monologue and not.... any of the movies nominated in any major catagories.  but i guess thats the joke.
not really. the two most controversial films of the year = good material.

modage

Quote from: ©bradoh f-off all five of you. the show was great.
it was good, or atleast good-ish.  but what was great about it?  the opening is really the only chance the host has to do anything and i'm so used to billy crystals opening where he inserts himself into the movies and then sings about them later that other hosts just telling a handful of jokes just doesnt seem to do it for me.  some very very cool things won, (brad bird, charlie kaufman, alexander payne, etc.) but what was great about the show?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.