The Last Temptation of Christ

Started by finlayr, April 16, 2003, 07:35:54 PM

finlayr

Just bought the Last Temptation Criterion Collection DVD and was fascinated in finding out that STING was going to play Pontius Pilate.  Can anyone tell me why Marty was considering Sting back in 1983?  And then, in '88, why was Bowie chosen.  Maybe someone can shed some light?
Am I here to fuckin' amuse you?
Filmmaker

MacGuffin

After "King Of Comedy", "Last Temptation" was set to be Scorsese's follow up. During that preproduction Sting came in and tested for the part and was cast as Pontius Pilate with Aidan Quinn set as Jesus. But then things fell apart financially (also because of protests) and the project was cancelled until after the success of "Color Of Money".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

finlayr

God (no pun intended), that was a quick reply--em...do you know why Sting auditioned for the part or if Scorsese knew him?
Filmmaker

MacGuffin

According to:

Sting: To start, I'd always wanted to work with Scorsese, and the Kazantzakis novel was one of my favorites. I thought the script was staggeringly good, in comparison with what you normally are asked to read. I think Pilate is one of the most interesting villians consigned to hell. Pilate wasn't just the straightforward, two-dimentional villian, the guy who just washes his hands. He was a complex human being.

Sting goes on about his fascination with Pilate. Pick up the book if you can find it. It's a great read.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

finlayr

I actually just made an order on amazon for every..and I mean EVERY Scorsese book out there...I recently read Scorsese on Scorsese..great stuff....yeah I'm gettin' that book too you just recommended.  Thanks.  I'm just off Michael Mann buzz and now into Scorsese again...
Filmmaker

tpfkabi

i just rented the Criterion disc the other day. i watched/listened to the commentary this morning.
this movie brings up a very interesting question on the duality of Christ.
for 8 million bucks, this film looks really great.
at first i didn't recognize Bowie at all, i thought he did really well.
i would have liked to have seen a documentary on the times (88) that the film came out. maybe clips of reactions, debates, etc. Scorsese had a lot of guts to put this film out. it's scary to think that he had to have bodyguards for a while afterwards.

i have  a little complaint with the soundtrack. i don't like it when Scorsese puts poppy stuff right in the middle of films (he did this in Gangs as well). i'm referring to the music that plays as Jesus enters Jerusalem and the Roman soldiers surround him. when music like that, that deviates from the feel of the time period and even the rest of the soundtrack, comes on it really takes me out of it for a bit.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Last Temptation of Christ, i'm not afraid to say the full title. as richard kelly must also agree, i think it's one of the most significant scorsese films, in expressing a deliberately skewed view of "our saviour" it ends up being the most important film on the duality of man and the gap between Son and Father. luvit more than, well it must have a special place in scorsese's heart as well as any free thinking catholic.
under the paving stones.

finlayr

I'm trying to persuade a friend of mine to watch The Last Temptation of Christ but he won't because he doesn't AGREE with making a film about God even though his favourite film is The Mission (which has many deep, spiritual under-tones).  I explained to him that the film is anti-God, it's just a wise film that asks questions and doesn't presume anything--and I made him read the booklet that comes with the Criterion DVD which is like a review of the film.  Still won't watch it.  He wants to be a filmmaker and I've told him that this is SCORSESE!!  one of the best we'll ever see, you have to watch for the direction, the cinematography and the performances (especially of Willem Dafoe) which is one the best of all time.  Anyone have any ideas how I can persuade him to watch it?  Anybody have a review that I can send him so it'll persuade him to watch it???HELP!!!!
Filmmaker

Cecil

Quote from: finlayrI'm trying to persuade a friend of mine to watch The Last Temptation of Christ but he won't because he doesn't AGREE with making a film about God even though his favourite film is The Mission (which has many deep, spiritual under-tones).  I explained to him that the film is anti-God, it's just a wise film that asks questions and doesn't presume anything--and I made him read the booklet that comes with the Criterion DVD which is like a review of the film.  Still won't watch it.  He wants to be a filmmaker and I've told him that this is SCORSESE!!  one of the best we'll ever see, you have to watch for the direction, the cinematography and the performances (especially of Willem Dafoe) which is one the best of all time.  Anyone have any ideas how I can persuade him to watch it?  Anybody have a review that I can send him so it'll persuade him to watch it???HELP!!!!

tell him "yeah, nevermind. DONT watch last temptation. ever. promise me youll never see it. i thought i could trick you, but as i can see, you are far too smart for that. promise me youll never watch that movie. promise!"

Sleuth

Well, add something about the devil being craftier than he thinks, and soon enough he'll get 'em.  Then run away laughing while doing cartwheels of evil
I like to hug dogs

life_boy

I did some cartwheels of evil last night and hurt my back.  

Sucks!

finlayr

My friend actually IS a cartwheel..  I talk to cartwheels, I have no human friends...
Filmmaker

Pubrick

keep off datura.

btw, trem great sig.
under the paving stones.

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: finlayrI explained to him that the film is anti-God.

Um. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

filmcritic

I have a question about the "Last Temptation" DVD on Criterion. I already own the film on VHS, but I would like to buy the DVD of it. But the DVD is so expensive and costs about $40. Is it really so good and worth getting to spend that kind of money or should I just keep it on VHS?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert