What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Raikus

I just finished this. Enjoyable read. Quick, entertaining, not requiring a lot of thinking. It's a good come down book from all the above. I'll start on the 2nd in the series tomorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Thrindle

Awesome book, and good movie.  It's a semi-autobigraphical book by Isabel Allende (her uncle was president of Chile).  It chronicles four generations of an aristocratic Chilean family... from the turn of the century to the 1970's.  Really really interesting.
Classic.

kotte

Quote from: Thrindle on November 09, 2005, 12:48:01 AM

Awesome book, and good movie.  It's a semi-autobigraphical book by Isabel Allende (her uncle was president of Chile).  It chronicles four generations of an aristocratic Chilean family... from the turn of the century to the 1970's.  Really really interesting.

Sounds a bit like One Hundred Years of Solitude.
How is it different? Cause I loved Marquez book.

Anyway...I'm reading Naked Lunch and I'm about to start The Idiot but I'm afraid it it will kill me. I hate having unfinished books.
Will read The New York Trilogy on my NYC vacation next week.

The Perineum Falcon

After finishing Anna Karenina, I've decided to take a break, however brief, from the traditional novel.

"Illustrated novels," they call them.
A beautiful art style and exceptionally written.
I recommend this to any and every one.

They also have their own "indie" soundtrack that the kiddies are sure to love!

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

kotte

This is great. The end of the first paragraph is only a hint at the greatness of this book and Paul Auster.

It think it's a perfect attitude towards storytelling.

Pubrick

Quote from: kotte on November 20, 2005, 04:14:58 AM
[paul auster - the new york trilogy]

This is great. The end of the first paragraph is only a hint at the greatness of this book and Paul Auster.

It think it's a perfect attitude towards storytelling.
i think it's a bit overrated. in fact as you read on you may notice the novelty of his technique. that's what i didn't like about it, everything was so formulaic even in the ways he tries to surprise you.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

Fernando

Just started.

Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian

Reinhold

i click, but the motherfucker won't let me search inside!
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Perineum Falcon

Finally started:

Thanks, GB. :yabbse-thumbup:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: rené on November 12, 2005, 08:00:11 PM
After finishing Anna Karenina, I've decided to take a break, however brief, from the traditional novel.

"Illustrated novels," they call them.
A beautiful art style and exceptionally written.
I recommend this to any and every one.

They also have their own "indie" soundtrack that the kiddies are sure to love!

wow i started reading this and then remembered seeing the cover here before. i'm about a third of the way through and have made my own soundtrack to it (smog, cat power, bonnie 'prince' billy, 13 & God, beth orton). should i steal the one u posted? does it add an element of self-consciousness to it? this is by far the fastest and easiest read i've had all year, the pages practically turn themselves. well i've enjoyed it a lot and will try to post once i'm done, so i don't care if i just jinxed it, i've got about an hour left in my playlist.

120 pages in just under two hours according to my playlist, i guess i'm reading it slow.. (i'd read 50 the nite before just waiting for letterman!) even at 2 pages a minute this massive thing would give u more than 4.5 hours of entertainment, with half the effort of a normal book. yeah it's a good break from the conventional novel, it's funny u had come off Anna Karenina cos i'm taking a break from Crime and Punishment.. comparable? i guess we'll never know.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Pubrick on December 03, 2005, 07:08:44 AM
wow i started reading this and then remembered seeing the cover here before. i'm about a third of the way through and have made my own soundtrack to it (smog, cat power, bonnie 'prince' billy, 13 & God, beth orton). should i steal the one u posted? does it add an element of self-consciousness to it? this is by far the fastest and easiest read i've had all year, the pages practically turn themselves. well i've enjoyed it a lot and will try to post once i'm done, so i don't care if i just jinxed it, i've got about an hour left in my playlist.
Yeah, I read it in a day or two. The fastest for me in a while. I think the only other novels that I'd read that fast were Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
Karenina took me months, but soooo worth it.
As far as the soundtrack goes, well, it fits the mood to a T, to me.
You can preview three of the tracks on the author's site:
Doot Doot Garden

Quote120 pages in just under two hours according to my playlist, i guess i'm reading it slow.. (i'd read 50 the nite before just waiting for letterman!) even at 2 pages a minute this massive thing would give u more than 4.5 hours of entertainment, with half the effort of a normal book. yeah it's a good break from the conventional novel, it's funny u had come off Anna Karenina cos i'm taking a break from Crime and Punishment.. comparable? i guess we'll never know.
I'd considered reading Crime & Punishment after Virginia Woolf, but I think I need a lengthier breather still.

Happy to see you're enjoying Blankets, though. :bravo:

Alethia