SONGS REGARDING THE MOVIES

Started by godardian, May 17, 2003, 06:43:28 PM

Xixax

There was a lot of that sort of thing back when the "rock opera" was popular in the 70's, but few of them had actual dialogue.

You could point to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" which was never envisioned as a movie. Countless other rock operas exist. Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun" trilogy was one of my favorites. Styx had a couple with "Paradise Theater" and "Kilroy was Here". The Who did several, too, although I was never a fan of those.

Geez, I'm showing my age.

But yeah, long story short, this was done over and over again in the 70's when that sort of thing was cool.

Some guys I know are working on one right now. Kind of a Jesus Christ Superstar thing. I've heard it, and I must say it's pretty freaking amazing: http://www.herouniverse.com
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

children with angels

Yeah, but I'm not talking about rock operas here... No singing. I'm talking about a kind of soundtrack that has no songs, no nothing except dialogue and music - as if you're watching a movie with your eyes closed...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsYeah, but I'm not talking about rock operas here... No singing. I'm talking about a kind of soundtrack that has no songs, no nothing except dialogue and music - as if you're watching a movie with your eyes closed...

www.mirandajuly.com

...she also makes movie-movies, too, but I have both her albums, and I think they fit what you're talking about.

Lydia Lunch and Laurie Anderson too, in some ways, but I think July really gets closer to what you're talking about on her albums, which are often mistakenly put into the "spoken word" section of the record shop, though they contain "characters" and "dialogue" and tell a sort of "story" rather than, you know, someone reading a poetry or an essay or some such.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

children with angels

Thanks... She sounds really interesting, man - and she directed a Sleater Kinney video...! And was in Jesus' Son (that really quite cool My Own Private Idaho rip-off)...

You got any of her stuff? Is it really good?

Reading about her reminds me of an art piece I saw at the 2001 Biennale in Venice by a Canadian artist - can't remember the name now - called 'The Paradise Institute'. You watched a film with headphones on in a little cinema, and the headphones gave you (a) the sound of the movie and (b) really fucking realistic sounds of people sitting round, next to you, behind you in the movie theatre, talking to you and stuff. As the film went on, characters from the movie start 'coming up behind you' in the cinema, and you become kind of involved in the plot. It ended with your 'girlfriend' who'd been sitting next to you leaving to go home and check she hadn't left the gas on, then the bad guy from the movie comes behind you and whispers "all it takes is just the key in the lock - she's putting the key in the lock now..." and you see a house explode in the movie, followed by the filmstock burning up and the sound of the cinema burning down around you as you watched a burning house disapper onscreen. It was pretty damn cool. Kind hard to explain though...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Yeah, she's very cool. She lives in Portland, my hometown, as do Sleater-Kinney. And Todd Haynes. And Gus van Sant. And the Dandy Warhols. I miss it SO much. Seattle has nothing like that, really. Eddie Vedder just doesn't cut it.

I much prefer her second album, The Binet-Simon Test, to her first.

I can e-mail or burn and snail-mail you some of her stuff if you'd like. If you have the e-mail capacity for it, that might be better, as it might take a while to get to England from here.

Miranda also co-wrote the screenplay to Wayne Wang's Center of the World.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Mesh

Two Steely Dan songs tangentially related to cinema:

"Peg"

"Everyone's Gone to the Movies"

Mesh

Don't know why the fuck I'm gonna post this, but...

That one Barenaked Ladies song:

"Like Kurosawa I make mad films,
'K, I don't make films,
But if I did they'd have a samurai"

sphinx

there's another barenaked ladies song called 'sell, sell, sell' which is pretty much about the career of jeff goldblum

Find Your Magali

Resurrecting an old, old thread:

"Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" by Counting Crows is a song about falling in love with a movie star, which got Adam Duritz and Monica Potter hooked up....

Well I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem
Aw, but I'd sure like to find out
So why don't you climb down off that movie screen
Hey, Mrs. Potter, don't turn
Hey, Mrs. Potter, I burn for you
Hey, Mrs. Potter, won't you talk to me

Alethia

i wish i had a pencil thin mustach by jimmy buffett

stanley kubrick and his buddy hal are mentioned in it

Gamblour.

Dream Theater likes to sample movies. The song Take the Time samples Cinema Paradiso and the new song Honor Thy Father samples Magnolia, amongst others.
WWPTAD?

godardian

"Celluloid Heroes" - The Kinks

"Everybody's a dreamer
And everybody's a star
And everybody's in movies
It doesn't matter who you are
There are stars in every city
In every house and on every street
And if you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Their names are written in concrete

Don't step on Greta Garbo
As you walk down the boulevard
She looks so weak and fragile
That's why she tried to be so hard
But they turned her into a princess
And they sat her on a throne
But she turned her back on stardom
Because she wanted to be alone

You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of
People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame
Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain

Rudolph Valentino
Looks very much alive
And he looks up ladies' dresses
As they sadly pass him by
Avoid stepping on Bela Lugosi
'Cos he's liable to turn and bite
But stand close by Bette Davis
Because hers was such a lonely life

If you covered him with garbage
George Saunders would still have style
And if you stamped on Mickey Rooney
He would still turn 'round and smile
But please don't tread on dearest Marilyn
'Cos she's not very tough
She should've been made of iron or steel
But she was only made of flesh and blood

You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of
People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame
Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain

Everybody's a dreamer
And everybody's a star
And everybody's in showbiz
It doesn't matter who you are

And those who are successful
Be always on your guard
Success walks hand in hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard

I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
A fantasy world of celluloid villians and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die"

Raikus

"Gone to the Movies" -- Semisonic

One of my favorite songs from the 90's. Although, other than the chorus and title, not to do too much with movies.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: SlorgRoxy Music - 2HB

Yes!

Yes!!

Yes!!!!

I Loooooooooove Roxy Music. Pre-1980, anyways.