Beck- Sea Change
Eminem- The Slim Shady LP
The Beatles- Rubber Soul
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Franz Ferdinand- Tonight
Nirvana- Nevermind
Modest Mouse- We were dead before the ship even sank
Weezer- Red Album

really there wasn't a top ten albums thread?

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on March 18, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

This is it. You're in it. Right now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

What are you talking about you drunkard?

This thread is seven years old.

Karljan revived it and happened to post at the top of a new page. Obviously that was enough to make you think he created the thread.

What a fucking idiot, seriously.
under the paving stones.

Reel

well, shit. I wouldn't have even posted my list if I knew this was already a thread

Pas

Sorry for the stupid thread resurect but look at this list:

Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
The White Stripes- Elephant
Beck- Sea Change
The Beatles- Rubber Soul
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Franz Ferdinand- Tonight
Nirvana- Nevermind
Weezer- Red Album

That is DEFINITELY the absolute worst top ten albums list I've ever seen, no offense man, but WHAT THE FUCK. These are not bad albums, some are even classics, but the combo of choices is so weird and random.

socketlevel

Quote from: Pas on May 03, 2011, 09:46:31 AM
Sorry for the stupid thread resurect but look at this list:

Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
The White Stripes- Elephant
Beck- Sea Change
The Beatles- Rubber Soul
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Franz Ferdinand- Tonight
Nirvana- Nevermind
Weezer- Red Album

That is DEFINITELY the absolute worst top ten albums list I've ever seen, no offense man, but WHAT THE FUCK. These are not bad albums, some are even classics, but the combo of choices is so weird and random.

so his choices should have structure to it? While i don't agree with any of his choices, I'm glad he didn't let his choices affect each other.

I could be wrong, but if anything I feel these choices seem to be the most recent work of a lot of these artists. Almost like you got sick of their older work because you heard it too much and you chose stuff later in their careers because you have more of a stomach for it.

like for weezer, not the blue album or pinkerton? are you on crack with the red album? maybe this is the random pas means actually.

or modest mouse, you picked probably their worst album. I'd go the lonesome crowded west or the moon & Antarctica.

though weezer and modest mouse probably wouldn't make it on my list at all. i'mma have to think on my top 10 and look at my old lists.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

well, without having ''structure'' per se, let's see on an album per album basis
Arcade Fire- The Suburbs-----> Very recent, very low shelf life according to my intial love and complete lack of care now
The White Stripes- Elephant----->Defendable
Beck- Sea Change----->Defendable
Eminem- The Slim Shady LP ----->Fine if you put other hip-hoppy shit on the list, but alone in there, weird
The Beatles- Rubber Soul ----->Bam! My own favorite Beatle album too, but between Eminem and Black Sabbath  :shock:
Black Sabbath- Paranoid----->Defendable... if it wasn't the only remotely rock album on the list
Franz Ferdinand- Tonight----->I can't name a single song on this album even though I own it. Completely forgetable.
Nirvana- Nevermind ----->Ok I guess
Modest Mouse- We were dead before the ship even sank ----->Worst album by this band ever, and I have Moon and Antarctica as my top 3-5 ever probably
Weezer- Red Album----->Worst album by this band ever

Reel

I ain't defendin shit, that's my list and I'm stickin to it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I agree with you, Pas, the list doesn't suit my taste either, however, it's his list and your assessment of its falterings is laughable.  By your logic, he should have more hip hop on there to justify the one hip hop album, and more "rock" (which, Black Sabbath isn't rock, it's proto-Doom) to justify Sabbath.

Though I do agree, Modest Mouse's newest album is aptly titled and should be barred from any top 10 list.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: Pas on May 03, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
Weezer- Red Album----->Worst album by this any band ever

Fixed.  Also: I like WWDBTSES.   :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I do like how in Pas' analysis of why it's the worst list ever, there are only two albums out of ten that he really has fundamental problems with.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Hahaha but it makes no sense! I didn't say the album sucked, I said

Quote from: Pas on May 03, 2011, 09:46:31 AM
These are not bad albums, some are even classics, but the combo of choices is so weird and random.

It's like a wild ride through the musical tastes of 4 different people. People who like Black Sabbath so much don't like Beck just as much. Or Eminem. It doesn't follow logic!

Stefen

He'll delete that list once he gets older and pretend it never happened. Just like I just did with my list from 6 years ago. That never happened.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Quote from: modage on May 03, 2011, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: Pas on May 03, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
Weezer- Red Album----->Worst album by this any band ever

Fixed.  Also: I like WWDBTSES.   :shock:
mod and I agree twice in a week?  Whoa.  Beardpocalypse!

Seriously, We Were Dead is one of MM's best albums.  I know it's no Long Drive, but nothing is.  MM has no bad albums.  And I'm including Tube Fruit. :P

Jeremy Blackman

I agree, Reelist's list is not that bad. The eclectic nature of the list redeems it, if anything.

The Red Album had at least a few very good songs (Greatest Man, Heart Songs, maybe even Angel), but the rest of it doesn't work for me at all. I would also choose an earlier Weezer album. I think most people agree that the Green Album (which I still loved) was followed by a steady decline. Although I'm sick of most of its songs by now (Sweater Song and Say It Ain't So, especially), the Blue Album has some of the most incredible pop songwriting ever. "Holiday" and "Only In Dreams" are underappreciated.

That said, I named this thread 10 favorite albums for a reason. Favorites change. I know my current favorites list would definitely include albums from the last 2-3 years. I think a new album is a completely legitimate choice for a favorites list as soon as you've let it properly sink in.

Funny that Reelist's old post has sparked an entire semi-controversial conversation. Don't stop!