in this thread i will rate your avatar

Started by sickfins, March 03, 2004, 10:19:07 PM

sickfins

prepare to have your avatar put on the rack as i tear it apart or praise it up to space

my own is no picasso but i was the cultivator of some fine work in my time.  i think.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Just so you know, I didn't design mine; Terry Gilliam and Nicola Pecorini did.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Too short a notice. I need more time!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinOn what basis will avatars be rated?
on how sickkkkkkkk they are.
under the paving stones.

sickfins

to field your questions

hacksparrow: the fact that almost all avatars are preexisting photographs created by others will be taken into consideration
the truth is that you could choose to have just about any image you like and your decision to choose this particular one is what will be evaluated

macguffin, your avatar will be rated on the basis of identifiable reference, composition, humour, appeal, or whatever the purpose of the avatar seems to be.  ratings will differ depending on the individual

stefen, too bad...caught you all with your pants down

so here we go

an image from a tv show or movie i've heard you talk about but have never seen myself.  keep in mind that i have actually tried to work on this avatar myself but alas i could not isolate the transparency of the bee.

i feel watched and isolated from the groups in the background.  the wood dude in the front makes me feel uncertain.  the green bee is reassuring.

white outline of the bee is distracting but this really can't be helped.  rocks impossibly balanced in the background add to excellent replay value.  muchos detalle and takes us almost all the way around the colour spectrum

overall :yabbse-thumbup: and i look forward to an evolution

a rarely seen picture of depp from fear and loathing

a first time viewer would be unable to place context with the flipped typewriter.  raoul's expression of masked fear and attempt at the casual are humorous but colour would make it more interesting, especially that red typewriter....like an alarmmmm of confusion

a rare sidways thumb...almost there friend

the eye of fear

it watches me when i sleep i cannot rate this

a lifted shot from cunningham.  a bit larger and then we'll talk

i was brutally abused by a pack of poorly compressed jpeg avatars as a child...all young people have a right to know steps to avoid horrible avatars....i know there are a bunch floating around this almost fertile land...

Stefen

Quotea rare sidways thumb...almost there friend

:lol:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.........yay/nay/ghey/?
What he said.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: NEON MERCURY.........yay/nay/ghey/?
What he said.
touche

sickfins

budee holee

believe it or don't, at first i hated this sucker after a few days of staring at it.  this was a long time ago.  i couldn't stand the fucking picture...it just kept smiling and smiling at me.  and it isn't even a full blown smile, it's this soft teethy wimpy expression i hesitate to call a grin.

but over time the 'tar has matured upon me and i have learned to appreciate it.  love it for everything that it is.  this is the buddy holly and although i have a few issues with the quality of the print and how it's been uncropped it reminds me of everything taz and everything xixax...i give it a blatant thumbs up

i have spent a lot of time with ms. mully dee...she is exquisite however i don't think 'a maniacal thrill!!!11' is helping you out a lot unless the movie was one of those underwater family-themed rollercoasters with a slight edge and i just wasn't paying attention

the elements; head, headlights and sign work as a threesome and the design wouldn't work if one of them wasn't present...if you still want to go for the mysterioso effect then pull out your dvd and look at the back of the insert...vague headlights and the sign by itself looks tempting and partially unsafe

originality is blehh because you've just pulled a dvd cover out of your hat.  nothing fantastic other than the fantastic movie and some of the original posters were better but a good effort

you're in the general area and for this you receive a rare black and white thumb
now straighten up and fly right

watch...self made composition, folks

four rows of varying sizes make for a nonexistent focal point.  but that's okay because these avatars are just shoved to the side of the screen anyway.  he may not be aware, but p's avatar takes full advantage of this format by placing his subjects to the right of his frame making the eye glide down the page past his picture through the message and clean out the other side with nary a scratch

so back to you...the only way i could see this taking an hour is if you went and got each movie and capped each scene individually...each of the pictures you chose are perfectly composed and would make flawless avatars by themselves but slipped together like this they begin to lose their magic...

much thought was put into this and far surpasses a lot of the other things we see floating aimlessly these days...you receive a rare 45 degree angle thumbs up

this image is resampled so poorly that it loses almost everything it had going for it in the beginning.  you can even see the tiny compression blocks

great image but no dice :yabbse-thumbdown:

the critic!

shows the poster as an enthusiastic cartoonish character...good cropping of the original image but the transparency isn't great...you have a purple border around the left side and transparency mosquito noise around the right side...my prescription for you is something resembling this

yeah i fucked up the hair but go fix it yourself

for just a dollar a day you can sponsor a brand new avatar....
send anything to

sickfins
1250 c.well dr.
vancouver
v7s2r2

or my other home

sickfins
2200 canyon dr.
los angeles, ca