the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

phil marlowe

any fans here? this is one of my favourite bands ever. everything is topnotch haunting and personal, especially the lyrics.

and how much did they influence the nineties pop/rock? where they overrated? any favourite albums?

discuss.

Ghostboy

I'm a fan -- what former-goth-punk-retro kid wouldn't be? Although I actually grew to like them more for Johnny Marr's incredible guitar work than Morissey's haunting voice. I love Rank...they sound so good live. But my favorite song ever from them is Girlfriend In A Coma.

phil marlowe

Quote from: GhostboyI actually grew to like them more for Johnny Marr's incredible guitar work than Morissey's haunting voice.

love them equally i guess. i think it's the chemistry between them theres the bomb, also if you listen to there solo projects they really dont seem to be any special.

that joke isn't funny anymore is a masterpiece of a song.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Phil Marloweif you listen to there solo projects they really dont seem to be any special.

Agreed, although some of Marr's new stuff is kinda cool.

MacGuffin

Never heard of them. But I have all their albums (imports too) and singles (including their work with Sandie Shaw, beautiful covers). Which is why I say I'm still living in the 80's. Got me through high school. I actually think they were underrated. I don't think I've heard anybody like them since, so I don't know how much influence they were.

"Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" is pure poetry. "Meat Is Murder" and "The Queen Is Dead" being my fave albums.

I like Morrissey's early solo work ("Viva Hate" being a better debut than I expected after the break-up), but up to the "Your Arsenal" album.

Marr's guitar work with Brian Ferry, The The and Electronic were just as good as when he was with The Smiths.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

im a fan here too. "how soon is now"... brilliant

i love the way the lyrics also say "you" rather than "him" or "her"

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. demented"how soon is now"... brilliant

The remake used in the opening of "Charmed" (taken from "The Craft"), Hippychick's sampling, and the TATU remake =  :yabbse-thumbdown:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

yeah, the covers doesnt even sound like a the smiths song. i believed deftones has made a couple of decent ones. chino loves them to death.

Henry Krinkle

Huge fan of THE SMITHS also - AND MORRISSEY's solo work.

I'd have to say MEAT IS MURDER and STRANGEWAYS HERE WE COME are tied as my fave Smiths album.  

For Morrissey - VAUXHAUL AND I is my fave along with the massively underrated SOUTHPAW GRAMMER.

Born Under Punches

Best Smiths album is "The Queen Is Dead"  Love "Bigmouth Strikes Again"

godardian

Wow... so there IS a whole cadre of fellow Smiths fans here!

This being a movie board, I'm wondering if anyone else here loves Billy Liar... which is, of course, the film upon which "William, It Was Really Nothing" is based.

I can think of very few other bands who are as film-associated as The Smiths. Not on soundtracks 'n stuff, but for the references... most of their record sleeves, even, were adorned with your more obscure film stars on the covers. If Morrissey solo has one unequivocal flaw compared to The Smiths, it's that his sleeves weren't nearly so cool...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardian
I can think of very few other bands who are as film-associated as The Smiths. Not on soundtracks 'n stuff, but for the references... most of their record sleeves, even, were adorned with your more obscure film stars on the covers. If Morrissey solo has one unequivocal flaw compared to The Smiths, it's that his sleeves weren't nearly so cool...

Good point... I think that Skinny Puppy is really the only band I can think of that was more movie oriented in content.

I went through different periods of loving then hating then liking the Smiths again.

The hatred was more because of other people than because of the music.

godardian

I know, we're total snots sometimes.

So I'm going to try not to be a TOTAL snot about Skinny Puppy, and just ask: What are their film references? Or are you just trying to ruffle some snooty Smiths-fan feathers with that none-too-apt comparison??  :x

My fave Smiths album is The Queen is Dead, but for songs, it's a toss-up between "Panic" and "Rubber Ring," both of which i think are sublime.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardian
So I'm going to try not to be a TOTAL snot about Skinny Puppy, and just ask: What are their film references? Or are you just trying to ruffle some snooty Smiths-fan feathers with that none-too-apt comparison??
Not trying to ruffle anybody's feathers.  I said I like the Smiths... and it wasn't necessarily the fans in general, just some particular ones... high school can fuck with you... I'm over that now though.

The only reason I mentioned Skinny Puppy was because they have so many film references... too many to mention really.

My personal Favorite is Rivers. which is basically an auditory homage to Stanley Kubrick.  (though almost the entire album Rabies is influenced by Kubrick)

modage

boy with the thorn in his side.  morrissey writes the funniest lyrics.  i was very into him a few years ago moreso than now.  as far as morrissey solo i like vauxhall and i and i think that his collection of b-sides and such is probably better than most of his albums.  the smiths are very cool.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.