Pier Paolo Pasolini

Started by (kelvin), August 04, 2003, 12:02:05 PM

(kelvin)

A film that has had quite an impact on me, Pasolini's "Salo" could be described one of the most important films about fascist totalitarianism ever conceived. I had known that Pasolini was rather eccentric, but the drastic brutality he depicted is unprecedented.
After seeing Salo, I completely understand why Pasolini was assassinated. Sad story.

mutinyco

They ceased production on the Criterion disk of Salo.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

(kelvin)

Quote from: mutinycoThey ceased production on the Criterion disk of Salo.

Why did they do that?

modage

Why have certain Criterion titles been taken out of print? Will they ever be back in print?

All unavailable Criterion titles were taken out of print solely due to rights issues. Our distribution licenses expired and, despite our best efforts, we were unable to renew. Should Criterion ever recover the DVD rights to any of our out-of-print titles, we will surely re-release them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

rustinglass

I caught Salo uncut on TV once. Yeah, we've got a great public tv chanel but the government is currently fucking it up cause it has low ratings.

anyway, what a pervert!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Mesh

What's the best way to actually see this movie?  I missed it when it played the Gene Siskel Film Center here in Chicago last week....

Is there a non-Criterion DVD?  Where would I be able to get it on video?

Ravi

Quote from: MeshWhat's the best way to actually see this movie?  I missed it when it played the Gene Siskel Film Center here in Chicago last week....

Maybe Amazon.com has the VHS?  I know there's a region 2 DVD, if you can play that.  Local independent video stores might have a copy of the VHS for rent.

Pwaybloe

I saw his "Arabian Nights."  That's got to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

(kelvin)

Quote from: MeshWhat's the best way to actually see this movie?  I missed it when it played the Gene Siskel Film Center here in Chicago last week....

I saw it on region 2 DVD (french).

Brazoliange

Just download it =p e-mail or AIM me for English subtitles that match up with the movie with time cues.
Long live the New Flesh

Alexandro

I saw his Decameron at a cineclub in a small venue filled with senior citizens, and maybe it was because they all were very receptive to it but i thought it was hilarious...

Stefen

Is Salo Pasolini's so called masterpiece? Cause that's what alot of people have said. I've only seen Salo and couldn't get through finishing it, cause it made me feel really uncomfortable (this was when I was 14 though and I may view it differently now, seeing as how i'm older and more mature) but recently found a subtitled vhs copy at a garage sale and snatched it up but don't really feel like finishing it. Can anyone recommend something else from him that I can watch before continuing the endurance test that is Salo?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Brazoliange

Quote from: Stefenseeing as how i'm older and [markthrough]more mature[/markthrough]

To answer your question though, either Salo or The Gospel According to St. Matthew

and no I couldn't figure out how to set that up the right way
Long live the New Flesh

Pubrick

Quote from: Brazoliangeand no I couldn't figure out how to set that up the right way
and u never will
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Oh, he was trying to make fun of me? HAHA.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.