The Daytrippers (Greg Mottola)
Flirting (John Duigan)
The Ice Storm (Ang Lee)
Jackie Brown (Quentin Tarantino)
Little Odessa (James Gray)
Un Monde sans pitie (Eric Rochant)
Olivier Olivier (Agnieszka Holland)

Source: http://www.combustiblecelluloid.com/bestof90s.shtml

I think this is a very interesting list and I thought it would be nice to post it, since I don't remember it beeing discussed around here. What do you guys think?
Si

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ono

Based on the three I've seen, he's got good taste, and it definitely fits his style of movie -- especially Ice Storm and Buffalo '66.  I've heard good things about Cries and Whispers.  Not so much about Bad Lieutenant, though.

Don't know what Berardinelli is doing in the same company as Anderson, though.  But I guess a critic is a critic.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Wes AndersonFlirting (John Duigan)

I agree. This film is an underrated gem.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiaCries and Whispers
:?:

Anyway, Flirting is great, and so is The Year My Voice Broke. Totally feels like the kind of thing Wes Anderson would choose -- in face, on the Rushmore commentary, he mentioned how they originally wrote Max with Noah Taylor in mind.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiaCries and Whispers
:?:

Yeah..... what?
Si

ono

Never mind, I was thinking about a totally different movie.  Misread one of those on the list, got it mixed up with another.

GoneSavage

hedwig

Quote from: rustinglassI've only seen three of those

Jackie Brown
Buffalo 66
Bad Leutenant

kassius

Is this Wes Anderson's Top 10 or Jeffrey M. Anderson's??

I'm confused.

rustinglass

Since I first saw the list I have seen Bad Lieutenant and Flirting. And I loved them both. Yes I agree with ghostboy, flirting is right up wes's alley, and it's got one of the best boxing scenes I've ever seen.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Redlum

Un Coeur en hiver (which I rented as a result of this list is brilliant), too.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Fernando

Wes Anderson gives his Top 10 Criterions

In response to our invitation to contribute his list of favorite Criterion titles, director Wes Anderson wrote, "I thought my take on a top-ten list might be to simply quote myself from the brief fan letters I periodically write to the Criterion Collection team." His selections were, unsurprisingly, delightful.

#1 The Earrings of Madame de . . . - Max Ophuls
This interview with Louise de Vilmorin on the Earrings of Madame de . . . DVD is very funny. She is already mesmerizing and charming and unlike anybody you've ever met—and then she starts talking about the movie. She hated it, in fact? Max Ophuls made a perfect film.

#2 Au hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson
We watched Au hasard Balthazar last night and loved it and also Donald Richie. You hate to see that poor donkey die. He takes a beating and presses on, and your heart goes out to him. Also, Mouchette is terrific, which we watched last week. It's a rare option, of course, to be able to ask Jean-Luc Godard to cut your trailer.

#3 Pigs and Battleships - Shohei Imamura

#4 The Insect Woman - Shohei Imamura

#5 Intentions of Murder - Shohei Imamura

We are deep into Shohei Imamura. I always loved Vengeance Is Mine, which was the only one I knew, on a double-disc Criterion laser. But now this box set gives me some perspective. Pigs and Battleships. The war didn't exactly work wonders for the people of Tokyo or wherever that was.

#6 The Taking of Power by Louis XIV - Roberto Rossellini
This is a wonderful and very strange movie. I had never heard of it. The man who plays Louis cannot give a convincing line reading, even to the ears of someone who can't speak French—and yet he is fascinating. I was in his corner from start to finish (which comes unexpectedly—I thought there had to be at least another hour and a half to go when "Fin" came up). Mainly, he just walks in and out of rooms and dresses and undresses. I want to watch it again! What does good acting actually mean? Who is this Tag Gallagher?

#7 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - Martin Ritt
I had never seen it before. It's great, and the interview with John le Carré is touching—especially his assessment, or more like admission, at the end that Martin Ritt made "something like a classic."

#8 The Friends of Eddie Coyle - Peter Yates
It's not upbeat.

#9 Classe tous risques - Claude Sautet
Classe tous risques is very good. I am a great fan of Claude Sautet, especially Un coeur en hiver. Who is our Lino Ventura?

#10 L'enfance nue - Maurice Pialat
I was introduced to Pialat in the first place by your À nos amours disc. You should do every one of his you can get your hands on.

#11 Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters - Paul Schrader
What a great Mishima DVD—and the commentary track. Immediately started the movie again and watched it all the way through with Paul Schrader. This has always been one of my favorites of his, along with Blue Collar. And Donald Richie again!

#12 The Exterminating Angel - Luis Buñuel
Have just watched The Exterminating Angel for the first time since fuzzy VHS in University of Texas A/V library. He is my hero. Mike Nichols said in the newspaper he thinks of Buñuel every day, which I believe I do, too, or at least every other.

Pas

Great post, thanks I'll check those I haven't seen out.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway