there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

Gamblour.

Yeah, nice analysis cquiroga. You know, if you're in search of a monolithic figure, I think a geyser of oil serves nothing better.

People use the word primitive often in regards to the beginning of the film, but I agree that it most definitely defines the end, even moreso.
WWPTAD?

I Love a Magician

Quote from: idk on January 23, 2008, 02:04:34 PMand remember what daniel says when he is reunited with H.W., he is hugging him and he says "This does me good". This line seems revealing.

from the way i took it, daniel was genuinely happy to have HW back (i think it made for a very touching scene). at the time he figured HW's hearing was better but it wasn't so he slowly distanced himself.

Ravi

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 23, 2008, 02:28:30 PMPeople use the word primitive often in regards to the beginning of the film, but I agree that it most definitely defines the end, even moreso.

The whole film could be labeled "primitive."  Plainview's existence consists of nothing more than to exist and dominate.  Every action he takes, everything he says, is to that end.

john

I saw this for a third time tonight...

It was a pretty full auditorium, which was nice...

They were quiet, receptive.... then the end....

This might teeter into the "stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say about a film" thread... but I guess it's all subjective...

Right before Daniel is, you know, finished... the woman directly behind me lets out a loud, concerned "Ooooohhhhh!" followed by "well, that is just too far. He should NOT have done that."

Her husband whispers, "I don't like that."

She responds, "Me neither."

The film ends, silence... the audience clears out immediately.

I also saw a pissed hipster broad and her apologetic boyfriend in the lobby.

People are fools.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: john on January 24, 2008, 04:20:21 AM
I also saw a pissed hipster broad and her apologetic boyfriend in the lobby.

There should be a hipster summit soon where people can come together and decide once and for all what qualifies one as being a hipster and what doesn't.  Because I'm getting confused.

john

Eh, I really wouldn't have an answer... other than she looked like she probably really, really liked Diablo Cody and "hipster" seemed to be the most disparaging (glib) term I could use at the moment.''

In short, she looked like a fucking asshole.

pete

john, you're in the Yay right?
not to sound like a superior east coaster, but the Bay Area has some of the worst theater audiences in the country.  They'd go to indie movies and they even look the part, but once they open their mouths...they sound just like Miss America.  I'll also venture out to say that for a region with like 12 indie theaters all next to each other, they have really bland selections.  they also have some of the most boring revival scenes, alternately playing "liberal" documentaries, and curatorial-masturbatorial old classics.  they might be shooting cool ads and cool music videos, even cool movies in this city, but cinema is as dead as hiphop over here.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

The best experience I had with an audience was my second viewing. Right as he raises the bowling pin, a rolling crescendo of shocked gasps, and then WHAM. I wish Paul was there. It was definitely something to behold/hear.
WWPTAD?

Tictacbk

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 24, 2008, 03:11:22 PM
The best experience I had with an audience was my second viewing. Right as he raises the bowling pin, a rolling crescendo of shocked gasps, and then WHAM. I wish Paul was there. It was definitely something to behold/hear.

The same exact thing happened the second time I saw it.  It was fantastic.  Then the friggen old guy sitting next to me ruined it when he turned to me and said "That'll make a mess." 

There was also a low "ooo" from the whole audience when Daniel said "Those areas have been drilled."

john

Quote from: pete on January 24, 2008, 01:09:48 PM
john, you're in the Yay right?
not to sound like a superior east coaster, but the Bay Area has some of the worst theater audiences in the country.  They'd go to indie movies and they even look the part, but once they open their mouths...they sound just like Miss America.  I'll also venture out to say that for a region with like 12 indie theaters all next to each other, they have really bland selections.  they also have some of the most boring revival scenes, alternately playing "liberal" documentaries, and curatorial-masturbatorial old classics.  they might be shooting cool ads and cool music videos, even cool movies in this city, but cinema is as dead as hiphop over here.

Yeah, man... I can't even muster the patience/energy anymore to go to the Embarcadero, or any other art house in this town.... I've taken to driving out to suburban two screens and shopping center multiplexes, at least there the audiences are minimal because nobody gives a shit. But to see something truly unique, truly "art house", forget it... at the art houses, or the multiplexes around here.

And the revival circuit.... Jesus, don't get me started... so many little unique theaters, and college campuses... and it's all for nothing. The Bay Area is a wasted opportunity for cinema, unless someone truly kicks it in the ass.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Tictacbeekay on January 24, 2008, 04:00:33 PM

The same exact thing happened the second time I saw it.  It was fantastic.  Then the friggen old guy sitting next to me ruined it when he turned to me and said "That'll make a mess." 

There was also a low "ooo" from the whole audience when Daniel said "Those areas have been drilled."

Got both the gasps and the "ooo's" on my second viewing too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 24, 2008, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: Tictacbeekay on January 24, 2008, 04:00:33 PM

Got both the gasps and the "ooo's" on my second viewing too.
Same here. My second viewing was a week or so ago and I'll probably see it once more before it comes out on DVD. I actually whispered 'jesus' the first time I saw it with mac, when that particular line came up. I caught more the second time around and most of the audience I saw it with the second time walked calmly out of the theatre, but short mumblings of unhappiness and strait up frustration about the ending.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

idk

yeah i had good reactions in my theater too, the first time i saw it there was actually applause at the end which i havent experienced at the end of a movie since Star Wars episode 3.

i even heard a nice reaction to the shot of the drill bit falling allll the way to the bottom of the mine shaft in the beginning and then the subsequent bubbling of the oil   

idk

There is a podcast on itunes called Filmspotting which is free to download. In a recent episode they discuss twbb at length and they also talk about it breifly in their "top 10 movies of 2007" episode in which both hosts put blood in the middle of their lists due to the final act which "derails" the movie which would have otherwise been the best of the year.

And here is a link to a really good article from the magazine American Cinematographer.... Elswit says pta had "A Clockwork Orange" in mind when designing the bowling alley.... (once you get there if you click on "dvd playback" you can also find an article about the restoration of "Days Of Heaven")

http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynamic/January2008/ThereWillBeBlood/page1.php

MacGuffin

Quote from: SiliasRuby on January 24, 2008, 08:35:12 PMI actually whispered 'jesus' the first time I saw it with mac, when that particular line came up.

Going in the second time, I knew I would never have that perfect audience experience again that we got at that Writers' Guild/Backstage West screening. And I was right. Because at the mall theater, I saw a couple cell phones of becon lights open up, a couple of late-comers that proceeded to tell the whole audience while taking their seats that "It just started," and I had a popcorn chewing pig behind me that ruined the quietness of the opening.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks