AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN IS A GENIUS?

Started by Xeditor, January 18, 2003, 12:34:03 PM

wilder

Christopher Nolan Teaming With Zeitgeist For Blu-ray Releases Of Films By Andrey Zvyagintsev, Quay Brothers, More
via The Playlist

Christopher Nolan, in addition to being perhaps the most cerebral director of blockbuster action flicks currently working, clearly cares a lot about the culture of preserving and appreciating film. He's one of the most vocal advocates of for Kodak Film, along with his chums Quentin Tarantino and J.J. Abrams, and he's recently branched out into yet another previously uncharted realm, if you'll forgive the vaguely galactic pun. Variety has recently reported that Syncopy – the production company co-owned by Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas – is planning a joint venture with New York-based independent film distributor Zeitgeist Films whereby the two companies will oversee and curate Blu-Ray releases for Zeitgeist's prestige titles. And Nolan has good reason to trust Zeitgeist: they handled the release of his assured debut "Following," a moody, minimal thriller about obsession and paranoia that led to the funding and release of his breakout picture, "Memento."

The company's first planned release from the partnership is "Elena," from "Leviathan" director Andrey Zvyagintsev, which took home the coveted Un Certain Regard Special Jury Prize at Cannes in 2011. "Elena" is a modern noir set in the atmospheric corridors of a Moscow apartment complex. Seeing how the film can now boast some cred via Zvyagintsev's involvement – his "Leviathan" was one of 2014's most well-reviewed films - as well as a purportedly "Hitchcockian" music soundtrack by the great Philip Glass, it's a fitting first title for the joint company excursion.

"Elena" will get a Blu Ray release on August 4th of this year. In the meantime, Zeitgeist and Syncopy are working on a compilation of animated short films from the Quay brothers that will see a release sometime towards the end of the year.

wilder

New Christopher Nolan Directed Short Film 'Quay' To Premiere In August
via The Playlist

Earlier this year, we learned that blockbuster filmmaker Christopher Nolan was teaming with arthouse minded distributor Zeitgeist Films to oversee and curate Blu-Ray releases. "Leviathan" director Andrey Zvyagintsev's "Elena" was among first announced titles, along with a compilation of shorts helmed by famed animation directors, the Quay Brothers. But first, the duo are not only getting a big screen revival, but they are the focus of a new short film helmed by Nolan.

As part of Film Forum's series "The Brothers Quay On 35mm," Nolan will unveil his simply titled "Quay" on August 19th, a documentary about Stephen and Timothy Quay. The subjects of the short will be on hand for the screening and will participate in a Q&A with Nolan as well. And yes, tickets are on sale. And while there's no word on any further screenings of "Quay," it's probably safe to assume it'll be an extra feature on that brewing Zeitgeist release.

wilder

Quote from: wilder on July 27, 2015, 08:45:36 PM
New Christopher Nolan Directed Short Film 'Quay' To Premiere In August
via The Playlist

Earlier this year, we learned that blockbuster filmmaker Christopher Nolan was teaming with arthouse minded distributor Zeitgeist Films to oversee and curate Blu-Ray releases. "Leviathan" director Andrey Zvyagintsev's "Elena" was among first announced titles, along with a compilation of shorts helmed by famed animation directors, the Quay Brothers. But first, the duo are not only getting a big screen revival, but they are the focus of a new short film helmed by Nolan.

As part of Film Forum's series "The Brothers Quay On 35mm," Nolan will unveil his simply titled "Quay" on August 19th, a documentary about Stephen and Timothy Quay. The subjects of the short will be on hand for the screening and will participate in a Q&A with Nolan as well. And yes, tickets are on sale. And while there's no word on any further screenings of "Quay," it's probably safe to assume it'll be an extra feature on that brewing Zeitgeist release.

The Quay Brothers: Collected Short Films on blu-ray from Zeitgeist on October 20, 2015

wilder

Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, And Mark Rylance To Star In Christopher Nolan's 65mm Shot 'Dunkirk'
via The Playlist

Over the weekend, word surfaced that Christopher Nolan's next film might be a WWII picture about the evacuation from Dunkirk. And indeed, not only is that the case, but the first cast members have been revealed.

THR reports that Nolan will reteam with pal Tom Hardy ("Inception," "The Dark Knight Rises") and newcomers to his world Kenneth Branagh and Mark Rylance for the simply titled, "Dunkirk." But there's a twist — they'll be co-starring, with unknown actors taking the lead ensemble roles. Of course, exact plot details aren't being revealed for the Nolan penned project, but the movie is said to be inspired by Operation Dynamo, the near-miraculous evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) and other Allied troops from the French seaport of Dunkirk which took place from May-June in 1940.

True to his passion for celluloid, "Dunkirk" will be shot on 65mm and IMAX 65mm, with cameras rolling in May. [...] release date of July 21, 2017

cronopio2

sounds interesting.

Rylance in Bridge of Spies was outstanding.

Reel

Christopher Nolan has restored and re-released a 70mm print of 2001. A lot of you got to see it and I'm soo jealous! I work in an IMAX omnitheater (domed screen) and have always dreamed of showing that film here above any other. However, the omnitheater print is constructed differently from standard 70mm. The image runs horizontally as opposed to vertically and is a bit larger in size. So, I've been wondering if there's any way I could potentially reach out to Christopher Nolan's team to inquire if they are going to attempt an omnitheater print of 2001. Now that the restoration process has been done, they would only need to strike a print in this larger format ( I think ). How might I possibly contact Chris Nolan and Warner Bros to ask about this? I have never dealt with big time movie folks in any platform beyond twitter.

wilberfan

I've wondered about this as well, since the omnitheater IMAX is what I've always considered to be the only "authentic", "true" IMAX process.

In my experience, tho, aren't these omnitheater screens generally fairly "square" in their aspect ratio?  (I'm relying on memory here.)  If so, I'm not sure they could accommodate 2001's 2.21:1 or 2.59:1 original ratios?     I think we have some knowledgeable folks here that can, uh, shed more light on this issue...?

Jeremy Blackman

I saw IMAX films in two of the original legit IMAX theaters back in the day (at the Minnesota Zoo and Valley Fair amusement park). I went to the Valley Fair IMAX theater probably 5-10 times every summer while it was there. These were not domed omnitheaters, but floor-to-ceiling rectangular screens that were curved. I don't recall the aspect ratio, but I would wager it was more square than 16:9, because the screen literally did stretch from the floor to the ceiling. I haven't had a similar experience since in any official IMAX theaters, which are great but just not the same. But yeah, someone who knows more should weigh in.

wilberfan

Yeah, that's my memory of the local IMAX here in L.A. (in Exposition Park, near USC).  They built a new one on the opposite side of the Science Museum, but I remember it's floor-to-ceiling, mostly-square screen at both places.  I can't help but think there would be a lot of black at the top & bottom of the screen if it was projected in it's true ratio.