I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Pubrick

It's interesting how this thread has died so severely and unceremoniously. The death itself was predictable, but the brutality is really remarkable.

I know that after getting Kubrick and other essentials on blu-ray I just completely stopped buying discs of any sort. It's a no brainer. I think people the world over are relieved to have more shelf space. The transition to blu was the equivalent of the most drastic culling ever undertaken in my movie-loving life. I only upgrade what I truly need in the BEST possible quality, and the rest I can download. My collection is basically like 20 movies.

I mean, when you think about it, this whole thing was really just a huge waste of money.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

Sorry but I don't know how to impress girls without my movie collection.

I mean, I also bought this recently:

Just look at that cover! If a obscure film with a Johnny Greenwood score dosn't impress my imaginable hipster friends I am screwed.

Neil

Quote from: Pubrick on June 08, 2012, 02:32:47 PM
It's interesting how this thread has died so severely and unceremoniously. The death itself was predictable, but the brutality is really remarkable.

I know that after getting Kubrick and other essentials on blu-ray I just completely stopped buying discs of any sort. It's a no brainer. I think people the world over are relieved to have more shelf space. The transition to blu was the equivalent of the most drastic culling ever undertaken in my movie-loving life. I only upgrade what I truly need in the BEST possible quality, and the rest I can download. My collection is basically like 20 movies.

I mean, when you think about it, this whole thing was really just a huge waste of money.

This is a great post, because I've been wondering about the whole situation as i'm starting to get a few blu ray criterion and hating every cent they cost.  I realize this is like asking someone, "hey what's the name of the drug dealer you got this blow from, i'd like to call him and get some," But when you say you d/l them, where does this take place?  Meaning, is it something like 'what.cd,' where you need to be invited or is it as easy as typing it in google? I feel as though google could lead to quality issues, but there has to be a community out there devoted to getting people great prints of films that are tough to find or over priced.

EDIT: I just realized I can get DVD's from the library and rip them to my comp.  The issue then becomes what format is/will be most compatible etc.  Since no one was going to reply to what I just said, this edit may spare me looking even more pathetic.

I bought this on blu ray and got a great deal on amazon.   But, i'd never seen any rafelson.  He's quite interesting.  I'm still letting it sink in

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Ravi

I still buy Blu-Rays and DVDs from time to time, but I haven't posted my purchases here. So here is what I've bought over the last few months:

(Sopranos complete series, if you can't tell)

SiliasRuby

Breaking Bad Season 4 Blu-ray
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

wilder

Quote from: Neil on June 11, 2012, 06:57:02 PM

This is a great post, because I've been wondering about the whole situation as i'm starting to get a few blu ray criterion and hating every cent they cost.  I realize this is like asking someone, "hey what's the name of the drug dealer you got this blow from, i'd like to call him and get some," But when you say you d/l them, where does this take place?  Meaning, is it something like 'what.cd,' where you need to be invited or is it as easy as typing it in google? I feel as though google could lead to quality issues, but there has to be a community out there devoted to getting people great prints of films that are tough to find or over priced.

Relevant article - "Movies Don't Stream Themselves" by Roger Ebert

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

I don't think I could take a tour of your apartment without saying 'Fuck you' like a billion times..

InTylerWeTrust

I agree with this completely.... Last thing I bought was the Pulp Fiction Bluray like 6 months ago. I never even use the damn thing. In these days of Netflix and Torrents, discs have become obsolete.

I do have a relatively "big" DVD collection from the old days (about 600 - 700 dvd's I'd say) but they're just sitting there on my shelves pretty much collecting dust cuz I've seen them all like a thousand times. I don't wanna sell them because they hold a special value for me, but I've certainly thought about it.   

But I gotta admit, I do miss buying shit like this:

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 29, 2012, 09:24:03 PM

That would look pretty fucking cool in my room...
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Reel

I am officially a blu ray guy:

Found this little gem the other day for a dollar, $1!!!

jenkins

you know how, well, one way to look at how much money you have, for purchasing movies, is to consider how many of your movies you can trade in. today there was a coupon for 20%+ on trade-in values, at amoeba in hollywood, which is this giant block-big media store in los angeles on sunset, and i gave them a medium-sized stack of my dvds that are on bluray or about to be, and they gave me a piece of paper that said they loved me worth $46, and with my coupon they loved me worth $58

i shall always miss the ones who have left me until i see them again, and these are photos of blurays i purchased with the love that was given to me

jenkins

did it, finally did it, i can see the finish line now (it's in the mail and then i have to watch it):

jenkins

glimmers of my total self

Something Spanish

B&N Criterion Sale, 1st wave:

weird tidbit: I own about 150 Criterion discs, half of them remain unwatched.

jenkins

so that i may be reminded which ones are considered the essentials, which non-English criterions do you own?