Podcasts

Started by cron, October 31, 2005, 06:33:32 PM

©brad

Yeah I agree on Kotter. It wasn't interesting enough to warrant its inexplicably lengthy running time.

I find Starlee quite endearing but I can see how her twee sensibility would be grating for some. Source Code was interesting if for nothing else her big get at the end with the phone call. Apparently that episode took almost 3 years to finish.

Jeremy Blackman

Paul F. Tompkins is the guest bailiff on this week's Judge John Hodgman. He's good and it's a really sharp episode, too.

Jeremy Blackman

Podcast highlight of my week so far: Read It and Weep takes on Tinkerbell and the Pirate Fairy. (This is an old episode, #266.) They inevitably speculate on what fairies use for tampons. (The answer may surprise you.)

wilder

Playwright Annie Baker was interviewed on WTF

Reel

The coolest one I've come across recently that really stuck with me was an episode of The Mild Adventures of Fred Stoller with Robert Forster as guest!! Now, since I'm absolutely positive none of you have any idea who Fred Stoller is, let me jog your memory with this clip from Dumb and Dumber, he's the guy outside of the phone booth:

That's his most prominent scene, but he's had a pretty steady career playing similarly anxious and wimpy men all over TV on shows ranging from Seinfeld to Wizards of Waverly Place. I just thought it was important to inform you before you listen to this that Fred Stoller IS a real actor, and not like some college kid who got Robert Forster to volunteer in doing this for a school project. The interview does have that feel at times, and Fred is a very naive and boyish man. I was impressed that Robert even gave him the time of day, to tell the truth. That's another thing that made this episode special, to see these two types who couldn't be further apart in style bond over their chosen career path.

What's really striking at first is how fucking cool Robert Forster's voice is, like you'd want to hear a whole audiobook read by him.  It's endlessly fascinating to hear him talk about coming up in the 60's, working with John Huston, Marlon Brando, and Elizabeth Taylor on his first movie "Reflections In A Golden Eye". He has so many great stories to tell from his career, and as a guy of 74 he's so together. He shows no signs of slowing down and has the drive of a man 20, even 30 years his junior ( Stay tuned for him reprising the role of "Sheriff Harry Truman" on Twin Peaks!!!  :salute: ) The interview is inspiring in a lot of ways, but mostly in how he delivers the message to "Never give up" and as long as you're putting your best foot forward in doing whatever it takes to use your creativity RIGHT NOW, then you've got a fighting chance at making it happen.

I hope that you guys give it a listen and do your best to ignore Fred's asinine questions and nasally voice.

Sleepless

Fred Stoller is one of those actors everyone recognizes from something. He also wrote this movie in which he also stars as just that type of "hey, it's that guy" actor who, in the movie, is most often recognized from a cameo he made in a low budget comedy called Ski Potty.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

To me, he'll always be the asshole waiter at Monica's restaurant on Friends.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Holy Christ, I wanted to do this but it's $125 now.

It's funny, I've been listening to old episodes... They started it at $20, were overwhelmed by the response, and felt bad when they raised it to $30.

My pitch was going to be Glen Weldon as a guest for Gymkata.

Jeremy Blackman

The latest Judge John Hodgman case is a bit more serious than usual, but the judgment profoundly moved me. Still truly one of the very best podcasts out there.

Jeremy Blackman

Okay now they're really stretching... Stuff You Should Know's latest episode is "What's the Deal With Staring?"

Jeremy Blackman

Just looked at the iTunes podcast charts, and I'm kind of surprised which of my favorites are in the top 100.

38. Pop Culture Happy Hour
53. Sword and Scale
84. How Did This Get Made?

Did not realize Sword and Scale was this popular now.

Shocked to see missing: Maximum Fun podcasts, Slate podcasts, Star Wars Minute.

Mystery Show, which hasn't had a new episode in nearly 6 months, is still at #48.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 22, 2016, 05:57:30 PM
Did not realize Sword and Scale was this popular now.

So I heard about this podcast recently through this site. I have listened to two episodes. What are some really good episodes? I am interested, but also kind of hate it at the same time.
The dude is WAY too dramatic in his narration and treats people with mental health issues as monsters.

That said, I enjoy hearing about the cases enough to where I can usually ignore my dislike for his method.

Jeremy Blackman

I recommend Episode #49. Go in spoiler-free.

Check out the thread if you haven't. I have more recommendations there.

Anyway, I agree with you. But I think Mike has made some adjustments and become more sensitive to a few different issues. He seems to respond well to criticism.

Definitely keep in mind that three episodes (that I can remember) include audio of a murder taking place:

- Ep 33: Listen to this — combined with its second part, it's one of the very best — but absolutely stop it near the very end when he starts talking about 2 Girls 1 Cup. What comes after is genuinely scarring and resulted in significant backlash.

- Ep 15: Real-life Fargo. Gunshots and a brief scream are audible, I think. But this episode will haunt you more because of the way the killer talks and behaves during the act. Remains one of the most affecting episodes.

- Ep 54: You hear a gunshot and the reaction of the victim's wife. Still really horrifying, but milder than the other two.

Jeremy Blackman

Latest This American Life has a fantastic and entertaining story about humans fighting over seals. I honestly never thought I'd find myself rooting against seal protectors, but I genuinely wanted to join in on the violence.

Seals are in need of protection as much as pigeons are (literally), and yet if you're an 8-year-old girl going up to pet a seal, you will get screamed at and chased down by a seal justice warrior.

Also, spoiler, that story is worth hearing just for the bumper song at the end of it. One of the most sublime moments in recent TAL history.

RegularKarate

So for a little over a year, I've been a part of this improvised sketch podcast, Victrola.
It's been pretty fun and we're finally touring and got a brief mention on huffpo. If you like Superego and the sort, check us out.
I don't know which is the right episode to start with since I'm a horrible judge of my own work, but I would choose an actual full episode as opposed to one of the in-betweeners.

victrolapod.com

All feedback welcome, but not necessary.