It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Started by Weird. Oh, July 24, 2006, 01:45:08 AM

diggler

anyone watch last night? this season has been great so far.

www.dicktowel.com

i want one
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

matt35mm

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm always going to be a week behind on new Always Sunny eps because I'm using Hulu, but this season is having some great moments and some mostly disappointing moments.  I hope they pick up the slack because they're getting closer and closer to parodying themselves as the humor a la Family Guy, and we as an audience may soon be deprived by the interesting developing and yet still self involved characters.

It's like how in some episodes Dee is hot, but in some, you are really puzzled as to if she's actually attractive at all.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

I think since Season 2 (or whenever Danny Devito joined) the characters have all been parodies of themselves. They've sacrificed heart and believability for crass boundary pushing, but it's still funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

I actually think that in the case of this particular show, the broader, caricatured approach is funnier.  I think it's gotten better as it's gone along.  In general, I'd agree that I'd like to see character development and more heart and stuff, but my joy from this show is seeing really horrible stuff happen to these bodies that are totally devoid of morality and intelligence.  I don't actually want to see any identifiably human characteristics in these people.

I don't find the humor to be anything like in Family Guy, where the writers seem to rely on randomness.  I don't find It's Always Sunny to be random at all... if anything, it's devastatingly logical.

Stefen

Dee is only supposed to be hot to the audience. Everyone has a friend like her. Your boys always ask you, "damn, bro, she's hot! Did you hit that?" and you say, "oh, god, no!" because you know her too well. You know about that botched abortion, you know about that time she took a crap in the elevator at the marriott, you remember that annoying phase she went through during the 5th season of Sex and the City. She's fucking gross and you never understand why men find her attractive, but she's your friend.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

I've been going through a TV-stealing phase thanks to you people.  Stole this one a month or so ago, watched it through over the past week (granted, a lot of times it was background noise, so there'll be added value with the familiarity factor on replay -- one thing this show does have going for it).  The one thing I'm certain of is they never had heart.  Polka put it best that they're the most despicable people, and therefore watching it is experiencing schadenfreude at its best.  I think as the show goes on, its angles wear thin, but I haven't seen an episode yet that was stretching too much.  Only thing is, you CAN'T really root for these people, which makes the show unique.  They live in this alternate reality only inhabited by the five of them.  I never really bust a gut like I do with 30 Rock, but as Matt's said, its calculated logic is admirable.

pete

most episodes had me laughing maybe once or twice, but I died when Charlie was filling out his profile on cupid.com, and also the double episode last season where they faked their deaths was one of the best things I'd ever seen.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I was talking with my girlfriend last night and we decided "This Show Can Do No Wrong, unless they break into Sentimentality"

which is kind of what worked for Seinfeld...see, we the fans will get sentimental when we see this cast part, but if the characters on the show ever get that way in a manner that is not caricatured, then screw it...the show turns bad!

I personally love how bad ideas are trumped by worse ideas every episode...the show just rocks.

polkablues

Teenaged Rob McElhenney in an anti-smoking commercial.  I REMEMBER THIS AD.  My mind is blown.

Bonus Charlie gifs:

My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't have gifmaking knowledge or knowhow, but could you make one of the scene where Dee and Charlie are eating their sandwiches to fight their meat hunger and they're scoping people out, tempted to eat them?

Specifically, I lose my shit everytime Dee's head pecks into the sandwich.  She is so birdlike.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Sadly, I didn't make these.  I got them from this nice little collection here.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

That show is the absolute best. Watch it and I'll watch that peep show thing