Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

Drenk

Let's quote Philip Roth.

"There is truth and then again there is truth. For all that the world is full of people who go around believing they've got you or your neighbor figured out, there really is no bottom to what is not known. The truth about us is endless. As are the lies."

I read almost everything about it. And i don't follow the mass of informations anymore. I'm not a lawyer.  I seriously can't know. Too many facts.
Ascension.

wilder

Joaquin Phoenix Set For Starring Role In Next Woody Allen Movie
via Deadline

Joaquin Phoenix has finalized a deal to star in the next film directed by Woody Allen, which I'm hearing is going to begin shooting in July. As per usual there's not much known Allen's projects before they really get going, but his past few have included gangbusters Midnight In Paris and Blue Jasmine, the latter landing its star Cate Blanchett the Best Actress Oscar this year. The writer-director's next pic in his seemingly endless pipeline is romantic comedy Magic In The Moonlight, about an Englishman brought in to help unmask a possible swindle in the south of France in the 1920s against a backdrop of wealthy mansions, the Côte d'Azur, jazz joints and fashionable spots for the wealthy of the Jazz Age.

Phoenix is coming off Spike Jonze's Oscar-nommed Her, which earned the actor a Golden Globe nom, and he just finished Inherent Vice for Paul Thomas Anderson. He his repped by WME and attorney David Weber.

wilder

Woody Allen Heads To Amazon To Write And Direct His First TV Series, Will Air In 2016
via The Playlist

While Netflix has largely enjoyed dominance in the realm of original programming for streaming services, if they haven't been looking over their shoulders, they'd better start. Over the weekend, Amazon Studios cemented their rep as real-deal contenders when their acclaimed series "Transparent" took home two Golden Globe awards. And now they've just bagged one of American cinema's most legendary figures for his first television series.

Amazon has announced that Woody Allen will write and direct a new half-hour series, with a full season already up and ordered. In true Woody Allen fashion, no title, cast or plot details have been revealed, but the show will arrive on Amazon in 2016. And so we guess that means that for the first time since 1981, Allen won't have a feature film in theaters next year. But trivia aside, we're pretty excited to see what Allen does in a TV series format where he can expand on his characters, and see where they go.

Quote from: Woody Allen"I don't know how I got into this. I have no ideas and I'm not sure where to begin. My guess is that [Amazon Studios Vice President] Roy Price will regret this," Allen dryly stated in a press release. We're sure he won't.

Meanwhile, Allen's next, untitled film starring Joaquin Phoenix and Emma Stone is expected to arrive later this year.

jenkins

i really hope more people like woody allen go into tv. take 'im

Gittes

I'm curious about who he'll cast in this. This might be a good opportunity for Allen to collaborate with Larry David again, providing the latter is finished with his Broadway play by the time the show starts shooting.

jenkins

trailer for new woody allen movie with joaquin phoenix. this'll be a woody i'll either skip or redbox

Cloudy

Irrational Man was wonderful, don't buy the trailers. And the haters can't appreciate the B-movie that this is . . . Joaquin's pot belly precedes him, and he reminded me of the master actors of 30's 40's playing in a tonally confused/jumbled together movie that absolutely works. Some of those images pack a secret punch... they found texture in Joaquin's character ghosting through Rhode Island. A late-night flick. From the reviews I've read people are bringing a lot of their own Woody baggage in and comparing it to his previous films/LIFE which I didn't do.

JG

i thought a lot of it was trashy and bad, but its charming in a TCM at 3am kinda-way. it hits its stride in a few places, and i especially loved the last scene, but my gushing would be spoilery. my man khondji does his thing as always, and that's worth price of admission alone!

Cloudy

those trashy elements added to my experience (those voice overs were even great) ... maybe because it was continuously undercut by Joaquin's plunge and khondji's imagery and the Rhode Island location itself. It got under my skin because it didn't and did take itself seriously at the same time.... maybe an unintended push/pull between Woody and Joaquin. Agreed on the TCM at 3am charm.

tpfkabi

Just watched Magic In The Moonlight. I enjoyed it. It was beautifully shot and well acted. He tied it all together really nicely with the final scene.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

wilder

Vittorio Storaro Reportedly Lensing Woody Allen's 2016 Film, Will Be Set In 1930s
via The Playlist

Woody Allen has worked with some terrific cinematographers in his time — Gordon Willis, Darius Khondji, Sven Nyquist, and Vilmos Zsigmond, among others — and for his 2016 movie, which begins shooting very soon, he's knocking another great craftsman off his bucket list.

Vittorio Storaro will reportedly lens the upcoming picture, which is pretty exciting stuff. The cinematographer is a three time Academy Award-winner for "Apocalypse Now," "Reds," and "The Last Emperor," and counts Bernardo Bertolucci, Francis Ford Coppola, and Warren Beatty among the filmmakers he's worked with.

Woody Allen Pages reports that the film, starring Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, Parker Posey, Kristen Stewart, Bruce Willis, Corey Stoll, Ken Stott, Anna Camp, Stephen Kunken, Sari Lennick, Paul Schneider, and Jeannie Berlin, is set in the 1930s, though it's not clear yet if it's a comedy or drama.

Jeremy Blackman

I admit, I have never heard the word "lensing" before.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Cloudy on August 01, 2015, 01:21:21 PM
Irrational Man was wonderful, don't buy the trailers. ...From the reviews I've read people are bringing a lot of their own Woody baggage in and comparing it to his previous films/LIFE which I didn't do.

Finally saw Irrational Man. I enjoyed it, too. Ever since I saw Adaptation I always have the thought that voice overs are a sign of weakness - ha! Emma Stone looked great, though she looks a little scary when she gets emotional.

Re: reviews - I feel the same about a lot of artists who have done well for a long time. If this film had been a director's first film a lot of people would say that this would be someone to watch to see what they do next.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.