Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

MacGuffin

Chloe Sevigny Joining Woody Allen's Latest
Source: Variety  

Chloe Sevigny (Shattered Glass) is in talks to join Woody Allen's new untitled pic at Fox Searchlight.

Plot details are being kept mum by the filmmaker, but Sevigny will star alongside Winona Ryder and Robert Downey Jr.

Sevigny next appears in the Michael Alig biopic Party Monster, unspooling in September, and in Olivier Assayas' Demonlover, also out next month.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinPlot details are being kept mum by the filmmaker, but Sevigny will star alongside Winona Ryder and Robert Downey Jr.
could this be woody's return to form? yes.
under the paving stones.

modage

so i guess you dont hold much hope for Anything Else?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Mitchell Replacing Ryder in Woody Allen Film
Source: The Hollywood Reporter  

Radha Mitchell (Phone Booth) has joined the cast of Woody Allen's upcoming untitled feature for Fox Searchlight, replacing Winona Ryder who had been in talks to star.

Although the plot for the feature is being kept under wraps, Mitchell joins a cast that also includes Robert Downey Jr. and Chloe Sevigny.

Mitchell, repped by WMA and Gold Coast Management, is shooting 20th Century Fox/Regency Enterprises' Man on Fire, opposite Denzel Washington for helmer Tony Scott. She next stars in Miramax Films' J.M. Barrie's Neverland with Johnny Depp.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i dunno, mitchell is australian and all.. but i'd take a little mousy face over her big square one anyday.

and i do hav hope for anything else. tever, it's good he's still doin ish every year. unlike other ppl.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinMitchell Replacing Ryder in Woody Allen Film

fuuuuck. c'mon winona, dont blow this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Robert Downey Jr. a No Go for Woody Allen Pic
Source: Variety

Robert Downey Jr. won't be starring in Woody Allen's next film at Fox Searchlight. The director is in talks with Jason Biggs to replace him.

Downey and the studio were unable to reach a workable solution to cover the collateral on the insurance premium that must be paid due to Downey's past problems with substance abuse. The actor reportedly didn't find out the insurance cost until after he took and passed a physical for the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinDowney and the studio were unable to reach a workable solution to cover the collateral on the insurance premium that must be paid due to Downey's past problems with substance abuse. The actor reportedly didn't find out the insurance cost until after he took and passed a physical for the film.

Damn.  Is that a first?  You usually hear actors being dropped due to overabundant salaries, but never insurance premiums.

I thought actors/actresses treated themselves as independant contractors, thus supplying their own health insurance.  Oh wait, is this another form of insurance relating to job hazards?

MacGuffin

Quote from: PawbloeI thought actors/actresses treated themselves as independant contractors, thus supplying their own health insurance.  Oh wait, is this another form of insurance relating to job hazards?

It's the insurance for the movie; being completed, completed on time, etc. They have to make sure their employees are in great shape so the production goes through without incident.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

two things:

1) Pawbloe, I'm in love with your new av

2) Biggs for Downey is not a fair trade.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

bonanzataz

and how! i thought woody works at dreamworks, why is he making a movie for fox?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Fernando

Quote from: bonanzatazand how! i thought woody works at dreamworks, why is he making a movie for fox?

I did a little search and found that DreamWorks acquired domestic distribution rights of the finished film Small Time Crooks, after that he made a three picture deal with DW, that deal now includes Anything Else, Hollywood Ending and The Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Also, before that, provided his voice in the animated film Antz which was done at DW, that begun his relationship with them.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen Recruits Miller for His Next Film
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Jonny Lee Miller (Trainspotting) has joined the cast of Woody Allen's upcoming untitled project for Fox Searchlight Pictures. He joins Radha Mitchell, Chloe Sevigny and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Jason Biggs is in talks to replace Robert Downey Jr. in the film.

The movie, for which the plot is being kept under wraps, will begin shooting this fall in New York. Miller next stars in Renny Harlin's Mindhunters for Dimension Films and Intermedia Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

jokerspath

Quote from: SoNowThen2) Biggs for Downey is not a fair trade.

Seriously, this is blasphemy...

E: And by blasphemy, I mean it sucks that Biggs is even considered for the same role as an actor ten times his superior.  I know this is obvious, but, ya...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Fernando

I found a little interview made at the time of Small Time Crooks, it's fairly interesting, don't know the source, had it on saved on my PC.

Small Time Crooks is more reminiscent of your earlier films, more slapstick and less serious. In it, your character Ray is real schlep as opposed to the intellectual, weighty characters you're more known for. Why did you do this?
Woody Allen: Because the idea occurred to me that it would make a funny movie to have a group of people that wanted to rob a bank and set up a front next door, and the store that they set up did better than their bank robbery. You know there's only two things that I can really play; I'm a very limited actor. I can play an intellectual, and I can play a lowlife. I've played--as in Take the Money and Run and Broadway Danny Rose--a little thief or a crook or a bookmaker. It's something that comes more natural to me. And then I can also play an intellectual because I look intellectual.

Do you see yourself continuing in this lighter direction?
Woody Allen: No. Not necessarily at all. I mean, I might if the next idea occurred to me was a light idea, and it was a good idea, I would do it. If it was an idea about the Holocaust, I would do that. It really just depends on what works for me at the time.

Is it true that you never rewatch your own movies?
Woody Allen: That is true. I haven't seen Take the Money and Run since 1968. I haven't seen any of my movies again.

Yet there are other movies that you do watch over and over again. How come not your own films?
Woody Allen: Well, because mine I would hate if I watched them over and over. If I saw them again I could only see what's bad about them, the mistakes, those things that if I had the chance I could do over again, but I really can't do them over because it's not possible. Whereas if I watch somebody else's movie again and again, it's purely pleasurable!

What do you think of the state of comedy today, with films such as There's Something About Mary and the hit of South Park. Do you ever watch these?
Woody Allen: I don't watch them, so I don't know. I mean I'm not really a big fan of what I guess you'd call commercial movies. I don't see a ton of movies, and I'm not that interested in comedy, really. And so I don't really get to see that stuff.

I find it interesting that you say you're not really interested in comedy when that's the genre you're most closely associated with.
Woody Allen: I know, I never have been. I always wished that I had Tennessee Williams's talent or Arthur Miller's talent, as opposed to mine. Because I enjoy serious stuff more than I enjoy comedy, so when I go to see a film or a play or read a book, I enjoy a serious one. That's my own taste. So I rarely go to see comedies. I've never seen too many good American talking comedies. I mean, I like the films of the Marx Brothers, but in terms of talking comedies, there haven't been many good ones. Lubitsch did a couple of good ones. Born Yesterday was sort of funny. I think it's probably, in terms of talking comedies, the best American one. Better than all that nonsense with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant and the leopard, which I always found stupid. The two films that you should see in terms of talking comedy--and I'm not talking about the talking comedies like the Marx brothers, because those are not really legitimate comedies, those are records of the Marx brothers as performers--but in terms of comedies where the movie itself functions, you have to see Born Yesterday and Trouble in Paradise. And then after that, if you haven't seen it, you should see The Shop Around the Corner.

You are definitely an important cultural figure in American arts. Are you aware of this as you're making films? Is it a burden or an honor?
Woody Allen: Completely unaware. I see no trace of an influence anywhere at all. I had this conversation with Scorsese and I was telling him that I see him as an influence everywhere, and I see Spielberg as an influence everywhere. And I just don't see myself as an influence anywhere.

What would you like to be remembered for?
Woody Allen: Gee, only that I never sold the audience short. I always felt the audience was at least as intelligent as I am, and more. So I never made a picture, or tried to make a picture, that slanted down to the audience. I never pandered to them in any way. That I always had a great respect for them.

Which living filmmakers do you admire now?
Woody Allen: Well, of course, Bergman's still alive and I admire him. I admire Bertolucci. I admire Marty Scorsese and Francis Coppola and Robert Altman. I mean there's a lot of people whose films I admire.

What was the last film you saw?
Woody Allen: I saw a few films that I liked. I like Wonder Boys. I liked Magnolia. East-West is a very good film.

Do you still divide people into "the horrible and the miserable"?
Woody Allen: Yes, I divide people into horrible and miserable, and I still have a very pessimistic life. You know, the concept of life as a monstrous, monstrous thing. And I still feel that way about it, and I'm really not off into any kind of lighthearted thing.