Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

Alethia

fuckin hilarious.  when he takes off the beard after he has sex with the woman he's in love with at the end, and she says "oh, i knew something was missing!"  i almost pissed my pants. hehe

MacGuffin

Downey Jr. & Ryder on Board Woody Allen's Next Film
Source: Variety

Robert Downey Jr. and Winona Ryder are in talks to join the cast of Woody Allen's next film, which is scheduled to shoot in the fall and will be distributed by Fox Searchlight. Like all Allen films, the title, script and plot are being kept secret.

Downey next toplines The Singing Detective for Paramount Classics, and also stars in the thriller Gothika, from French helmer Mathieu Kassovitz, which is in post-production at Warner Bros. Pictures.

Ryder next stars in Milos Forman's Embers, opposite Sean Connery, based on the novel of the same name by Sandor Marai, and she is attached to Robert Altman's WWII drama The Widow Claire.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

damn, winona on a roll.  i guess he liked her, because she's back for another round after celebrity.  i didnt think he re-used many young actresses/actors anymore recently after his old stand-bys like mia farrow, dianne wiest, and diane keaton.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I love Winona. She was great in Celebrity. Good job, Woody, on bringing her back.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteDowney Jr. & Ryder on Board Woody Allen's Next Film
Source: Variety

Robert Downey Jr. and Winona Ryder are in talks to join the cast of Woody Allen's next film, which is scheduled to shoot in the fall and will be distributed by Fox Searchlight. Like all Allen films, the title, script and plot are being kept secret.

fucking great news. I stil hope "Anything Else" turns out to be one of the best Woody Allen films in recent years (and when I mean recent, I mean last 2 or 3 years, since I think his last great movie was "Sweet And Lowdown"). I love all of his films, with the exception of "Everything you always wanted to know about sex" and "Hollywood Ending", 'cause I think they're missing something, which I can't explain, although even these two movies are better than your average comedies.

Only recently have I completed the Woody Allen filmography (I had a hard time getting a chance to see "Another Woman") and I can safely say that for me, he's one of the best screenwriters ever, casts the best actors for every role and on most of his films uses the perfect visuals to tell the story. Long live Woody Allen.
Si

MacGuffin

Opening September 19th from DreamWorks is Woody Allen's Anything Else. Jason Biggs (back in theaters this week with American Wedding), Christina Ricci (Sleepy Hollow), Jimmy Fallon (Almost Famous), Stockard Channing (The Business of Strangers), and Danny DeVito (Death to Smoochy) star with Allen in this comedic tale of an artist (Allen) who mentors an assistant (Biggs) and has an affair with his girlfriend (Ricci).

It was announced last week that Anything Else will open the 60th Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica (a.k.a., the Venice International Film Festival) on August 27th, with Allen in attendance.

"I'm looking forward to going to the festival," says Allen. "I've never been to Venice at festival time and the city has been so generous and supportive to me and I love it so much that it will be a great honor."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer for "Anything Else" here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

why the fuck isn't woody in the trailer?

Dr. Duke

Quote from: SoNowThenRadio Days and Zelig.

Completely unappreciated. Almost never spoken of. By far his best.

I don't agree with Radio Days, but you're right about Zelig, it is a fantastic film. Altough, it doesn't come anywhere near to Annie Hall or Manhattan
I want you to hold it between your knees.

modage

Quote from: ewardwhy the fuck isn't woody in the trailer?

very interesting.  today, at work, we had about 3 different versions of an Anthing Else 30 second TV spot, NONE of which featured Woody, nor did any of them mention that he would be in it or OR that he wrote and directed it.  so basically they are seeing if they can try to sell this thing without his name anywhere near it.  a few of the questions from the survey were even...

"if i told you Woody Allen directed this would you be a lot more interested in seeing it, a little more, no effect, little less, or a lot less in seeing it?" and the same thing for him being in the movie.  so i guess if it doesnt look like anyone else cares about him being in it, they will sell this as a young adult romantic comedy.  there was also a question about whether it being rated R had any effect on wanting to see it.  

isnt marketing terrible?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

i just get such a rush when i see woody on screen, trailer or not

modage

Quote from: ewardi just get such a rush when i see woody on screen, trailer or not

thats so weird, cause i get such a woody when i see rush on screen.

Alethia

Dr. Duke

Its so obvious that the studio is marketing Anything Else for teenagers. For some reason the powers that be believe that only teenagers with sub-human IQs go to movies, so they market accordingly. They only show Jason Biggs and Christina Ricci because they are the only stars that teens will recognize. They figure that the kids will go see this movie because its got "that guy that screwed the pie and the chick who's in all of those other movies". The trailer doesn't show Devito or Stockard Channing because the youngsters wouldn't recognize them (not unless they Devito was in his Penguin makeup). And forget about showing Allen. Teens hate him- even though they've probably never seen one of his movies- because they know him as the creepy old guy that had sex with his daughter. It's unfortounate.
I want you to hold it between your knees.

Cecil

sigh, theres allready a woody allen thread here http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2909