Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

Pubrick

Now, my Woody Allen impression..
I'm a neurotic nerd who likes to
sleep with little girls
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRI just saw my 2nd Allen film (after Annie Hall)...Manhattan.

Another piece of gold...I need to watch more Woody Allen films.

Number three should be "Crimes And Misdemeanors".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Fair enough, but I would've went with "Hannah and Her Sisters" for number three.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen Wants to Act in New Film

NEW YORK - Consider it a New Year's resolution for Woody Allen. The Academy Award-winning filmmaker says he wants to act in, but not direct, a film about a New Year's 1972 robbery at the Pierre Hotel, the Daily News reported in Thursday's editions.

According to the paper, Allen said he's talked to actor John Cusack about the project. The film would be based on a book called "The Man Who Robbed the Pierre: The Story of Bobby Comfort" by Ira Berkow.

Allen's works as an actor-director include hits like "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan," but recent films, among them "Anything Else" and "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion," have fared poorly at the box office.

In the 1972 robbery, five men in tuxedoes tied up 16 Pierre Hotel employees and took several million dollars in cash and jewelry.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffinWoody Allen Wants to Act in New Film

NEW YORK - Consider it a New Year's resolution for Woody Allen. The Academy Award-winning filmmaker says he wants to act in, but not direct, a film about a New Year's 1972 robbery at the Pierre Hotel, the Daily News reported in Thursday's editions.

According to the paper, Allen said he's talked to actor John Cusack about the project. The film would be based on a book called "The Man Who Robbed the Pierre: The Story of Bobby Comfort" by Ira Berkow.

Allen's works as an actor-director include hits like "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan," but recent films, among them "Anything Else" and "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion," have fared poorly at the box office.

In the 1972 robbery, five men in tuxedoes tied up 16 Pierre Hotel employees and took several million dollars in cash and jewelry.

Strange.... I mean, does he want to write it and star in it but give the director's job to someone else (probably to get more people to see it) or what? It just doesn't seem normal with Woody Allen to say he wants to star in a film and ask John Cusack to be in it  :?  Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing him in any movie.
Si

cine

Maybe he thinks he can pull off a great performance with a role in that film. After all, he was wonderful in Annie Hall, Manhattan, etc.

abuck1220

all right, bookworms...you gave me some good advice on the altman book question (thanks for that). now i'm looking for some more advice.

which woody allen book would you recommend?

Woody Allen on Woody Allen: In Conversation With Stig Bjorkman

or

Woody Allen: A Life in Film (by richard schickel)

soixante

There's a great bio of Woody, I forgot what it's called -- it's not the one by Eric Lax, who falls in love with his subject.  I would think the Schickel book would be good, as Schickel has long recognized Allen's genius -- Allen was on the cover of Time in 1979 for Manhattan (if you can dig up that issue at the library, it's worth reading).
Music is your best entertainment value.

cine

ElPandaRoyal

Finally saw 'Anything Else' and I loved it. It's a sweet, romantic, paranoid, little work of a genius, who's coming close to the end of his career (I suppose so) and, I thought, while watching the movie, trying to tell us what he always wanted to, in his movies (since 'Love and Death' or so...): life is a bitch, but it beats the shit out of beeing dead, so we'd better recognize that. That's what I felt, while watching the movie as I felt him recaping his older work - his older life? - and coming to terms with it. (Believe me, if you think I've no idea about what I just said, you'reprobably right. I suck as a film critic).

Mr. Allen, I'm already waiting for the next one.
Si

Alethia

Quote from: CinephileFair enough, but I would've went with "Hannah and Her Sisters" for number three.

go with husbands and wives for number 4

modage

okay i just skimmed through all 10 pages and didnt see any mention of this, although its very possible that i could've missed it.  somebody told me this the other day and i didnt believe him because i'd never heard it before in my life and sure enough when i looked it up on imdb, its right there...

Allen originally envisioned Annie Hall as a murder mystery, and that's how it was shot, with a subplot about a romance. During editing, Allen realized that all the best footage was of the romance, so he reedited the film as a romantic comedy.

that is THE fucking wildest thing i ever heard in my life!  i cant believe it.  he fucking shot a murder mystery and without a fucking MAJOR re-shoot, edits the ENTIRE plot out seamlessly and wins best fucking picture!  unbelievable.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Also, I read that it was on a suggestion from the editor that he did that.

On the special edition dvd that will never happen, I envision 1 hour of deleted scenes, Spinal Tap style.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenAlso, I read that it was on a suggestion from the editor that he did that.

On the special edition dvd that will never happen, I envision 1 hour of deleted scenes, Spinal Tap style.
how about an alternate cut of the film Lord of the Rings style?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

in the book WOODY ALLEN ON WOODY ALLEN, woody explains that in early SCRIPT form it was a murder mystery, but later rewritten as the annie hall we all know and love today...and the murder mystery element eventually became MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY, respectively...