Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

©brad

here's the first review of anything else i could find.

http://www.sick-boy.com/anythingelse.htm

seems sumwhat promising.

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteWill Ferrell has replaced Robert Downey Jr. in Woody Allen's next film

As much as I think Will Ferrell is an hilarious actor, I also think Robert Downey Jr. is one of the best actors working today (when he's working), and I'd love to see him in a Woody Allen film, so I can't really say these are great news for me, though I expect Ferrell to do a great job here...

Ever since "Jack & Jill" I thought Amanda Peet would be great in a Woody Allen movie so her casting doesn't really surprise me. And Chloe Sevigny..... god damn, this film's gonna rock.

By the way, I just went to the "Anything Else" official site and saw a couple of clips and stuff from the film and all I can say is that I'm dying to see the movie. As much as the American Pie series has its flaws, I don't think anyone in their right mind can say that Jason Biggs isn't a great comedy actor. And Christina Ricci is sooooooo great and beautiful.... They'll be great together. And did any of you ever notice the only clip in the site where Woody appears? Hilarious. Fucking great.
Si

edison

Steve Carell ("Daily Show," BRUCE ALMIGHTY) has joined the cast of Woody Allen's new movie for Fox Searchlight and signed to star in SLEEPOVER for MGM. Allen's pic will star Josh Brolin, Brooke Smith, Will Ferrell, Amanda Peet, Zak Orth, Wallace Shawn, Gene Saks, Vinessa Shaw, Radha Mitchell, Chloe Sevigny and Jonny Lee Miller.

godardian

Quote from: EEz28Steve Carell ("Daily Show," BRUCE ALMIGHTY) has joined the cast of Woody Allen's new movie for Fox Searchlight and signed to star in SLEEPOVER for MGM. Allen's pic will star Josh Brolin, Brooke Smith, Will Ferrell, Amanda Peet, Zak Orth, Wallace Shawn, Gene Saks, Vinessa Shaw, Radha Mitchell, Chloe Sevigny and Jonny Lee Miller.

If Allen is with Fox Searchlight now, maybe he can finally break the "DreamWorks Curse."  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Will Ferrel, Steve Carell, Zak Orth, that's so fucking weird
I like to hug dogs

ElPandaRoyal

How you guys feel about Anything Else? Where does it stand in his filmography? (I think I'll have to wait for next year to be able to see it around here).

I'd also really like to see Woody act in a serious film by a great filmmaker. I'd like to see him beeing Woody in other people's movies. Like what Paul Thomas Anderson did with the Sandler persona and put him in a really great movie, I'd like to see someone doing that to Woody (the only diference beeing I love most of Woody Allen movies and hated everything Sandler did in everything but P-DL)
Si

cine

Anything Else is certainly no Annie Hall or Hannah and Her Sisters.. nothing like that. He has his films that have writing thats worth an Oscar nod (and then some) and he has his films where they aren't worth Oscars but they're enjoyable for anybody to see and they're funny.. things like Small Time Crooks fall under this category. It's a good Woody Allen film.

As for his neurotic character in other people's big movies.. I wouldn't want to see that, personally. I like the Woody Allen character acting in movies written by him instead of seeing him handle other people's dialogue.. I mean I've seen his other movies where he hasn't directed them and they're pretty good, but I'd rather see Woody doing his famous character in his own films.

ElPandaRoyal

yeah, but you know... imagine Scorsese putting him on a film or something. Relax, I just said imagine  :wink:

You think he'll get another one of those Oscar nods with Anything Else?
Si

meatwad

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
You think he'll get another one of those Oscar nods with Anything Else?

nope

MacGuffin

Woody Allen Autobiography Is Talk of the Fair

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Quirky film director Woody Allen is ready to write his autobiography, sparking fevered interest among publishers at the world's biggest book fair.

News that the cinema icon is willing to tell his controversial story was the big buzz in Frankfurt, the industry's biggest marketplace of the year.

"There is huge interest. It is the book of the fair -- even if it is a virtual one," said Caroline Michel from HarperCollins' HarperPress which is believed to have bid one million dollars for the British and Commonwealth rights.

"If he were to write it, we think it would be the autobiography of the decade. It would be huge and funny and beautifully written," she told Reuters at the fair where 80 percent of the world's rights deals are clinched every year.

Reports that Allen was not ready to start writing until the price was right could not be confirmed.

Publishing News, the trade paper distributed at the fair, reported: "The comic icon is said to be awaiting what the international market offers before putting pen to paper."

But a spokeswoman for the ICM agency, reported to be handling the deal, would only tell Reuters: "Woody Allen has expressed an interest in writing an autobiography but he has not made a decision yet."

The notoriously press-shy director, whose private life became as famous as his offbeat New York comedies, has said in the past that celebrity really makes him cringe.

His famously unstable movie characters, frequently played by himself, have suffered a string of phobias and fears, often seeking solutions on the psychiatrist's couch.

Allen, whose neuroses have provided the cannon fodder for so-many of his sardonic one-liners, found himself the center of international attention after his bitter break-up with longtime partner Mia Farrow.

Revealing all about their split could be a major selling point in any autobiography.

Allen and Farrow ended their decade-long relationship in 1992 and five years later he married Farrow's adopted daughter Soon-Yi.

The scrawny comic's latest films have not gained the critical acclaim of earlier classics like "Annie Hall" which achieved cult status and garnered a clutch of Oscars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

This looks interesting, as he probably has some great stories about his stand-up days and about his childhood and stuff. A Woody Allen autobiography would be really funny to read. The ones expecting Woody to gointo his relationships and marriages might get disappointed though, because I really don't see him talking about it. He doesn't seem like the kind of person to do so.

And now for something completely differente, it seems that Woody enjoyed working with Jason Biggs as he is listed as a part of the cast of his next film on IMDB. I haven't seen "Anything Else" yet, but I always liked Biggs a lot. I always thought he was a great comic actor, so the fact that he got into a Woody Allen film was great news for me, and knowing they liked the collaboration so much to the point they would do another film together right away makes it even more interesting.
Si

Teen Wolf

I'm excited for this. I've been wanting to read a book on Woody for awhile. I've held off because Woody's so guarded, it seems like a book on his life would be sort of speculative and gossipy in nature.

godardian

Farrow's aubiography was actually quite nicely written and much kinder to Woody than I would have ever though, all things considered. Well worth reading.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen Autobiography Not Likely  

NEW YORK - Will Woody Allen write his memoirs? Contradicting a published report, his publicist said Friday he was not close to a deal. In fact, it wasn't even his idea to do the book.

"This was completely his agents' idea," Leslee Dart said Friday.

"Many times over the past two to three years, they've asked him to write his memoirs and he said he wasn't interested. They then told him they could get a phenomenal amount of money for it, and he said that for a phenomenal amount of money he could see if he could get interested."

Allen, the comedian and Academy Award-winning filmmaker whose many works include "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan," is represented by Amanda Urban and John Burnham at International Creative Management. Burnham declined comment. Urban did not immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

According to The New York Times, Allen was near agreement with Riverhead Books, an imprint of Penguin, for a deal worth around $3 million, well below what he had reportedly been seeking.

But Dart said Allen had turned down Riverhead and that no other offers were being considered, although he had not given up. "He has no real passion for this," she said.

Penguin spokeswoman Marilyn Ducksworth said she hadn't heard about Allen's decision. "We hope it's not true, but if it is, we wish him well," she said.

In his book proposal, a copy of which was obtained earlier this week by the New York Post, Allen promises a tale "full of fascinating and juicy real life dramas and conflicts," including his long-term relationship with Mia Farrow and his affair with her adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn, to whom he is now married.

Allen's recent movies, among them "Anything Else" and "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion," have done poorly at the box office, but Dart denied he was in financial trouble. She said he was at work on a new film, currently untitled, with a cast that includes Will Ferrell and Chloe Sevigny.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

I'd love to see Allen just as an actor in a movie by some other director. Without neurosis. something completly new and never seen before. In some interview, a journalist asked him, why he acts only in his movies, and he replied that it's because nobody hires him.  :(