Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

Pedro

Thoughts on the guy?  I love him.  Annie Hall and Manhattan being my favorites while Hannah and her Sister's and Crimes and Misdemeanors are my favorites of his later era.  But now he's really slipping...I think he's bound for a break.  He may be a dirty old bastard, but as a filmmaker he's almost godlike.

OH! Interiors is fucking great too.  Bergman rip-off I know, but perfectly done.

Duck Sauce

Id have to say my favorite Woody Allen film is Sweet and Lowdown, but my favorite Woody Allen-Woody Allen movie is Manhattan. I also really liked Everybody Says I love You, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Annie Hall. Deconstructing Harry and Hannah and Her Sisters, I thought were OK.

All and all I really like Woody Allen, for obvious reasons, but I have no desire to pick up some of his most recent movies. I say take a break, but if the guy likes making movies, let him make movies, I mean, how much longer does he have?

©brad

i'm doing a critique on three Woody Allen screenplays for class, thanks to a rec. from Mac. I have to pick one from his early work, one from the middle and one recent and see how he's changed/developed. I'm definitely going to start with Annie Hall, end with one of the more recent, but looking for any thoughts on a good one for the middle years. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a personal favorite, might do that one.

rustinglass

I think that deconstructing harry is also a "bergman-ripoff", or at least a "bergman-huge inspiration". The film: Wild Strawberries.
I really like harry anyway
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pedro

Quote from: rustinglassI think that deconstructing harry is also a "bergman-ripoff", or at least a "bergman-huge inspiration". The film: Wild Strawberries.

Haven't seen wild strawberries yet...I've seen Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers, The Seventh Seal, that's it.  I'm trying to hunt down Persona.  Anyway it's sort of strange for him to do such a Bergman influenced film when he parodies such things in Love and Death, but Bergman is a talent that I guess needs to be parodied and honored.

xerxes

has anyone seen play it again, sam???  man i love that movie

Duck Sauce

Quote from: rustinglassI think that deconstructing harry is also a "bergman-ripoff", or at least a "bergman-huge inspiration". The film: Wild Strawberries.

He mentions in Manhattan I think how much he likes Bergman, saying "Bergman is the only genius left" or something

children with angels

Quote from: [b]cbrad4d[/b]i'm doing a critique on three Woody Allen screenplays for class... looking for any thoughts on a good one for the middle years. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a personal favorite, might do that one.

Does Stardust Memories count as a middle-year period film? I think it's an absolutely amazing movie (and key to an understanding of the way his mind works, just like 8 1/2 is for Fellini) - my favourite along with Deconstructing Harry: I'm a sucker for the whole blatantly autobiographical film thing...

But Crimes and Misdemeanors is great too.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

SoNowThen

Radio Days and Zelig.

Completely unappreciated. Almost never spoken of. By far his best.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Victor

i like in deconstructing harry when he says, "im writing a story, its basicly me, thinly disguised. but im thinking of not even disguising him, i mean, its me."  he plays this in a lot of his movies, i think. usually this would make me go, what an egotistical, uncreative, narccasistic jerk-off. but with Woody, i like it for some reason. even though hes playing the same character, he manages to keep it interesting, and has a real charm to him. im working on my Allen movies, i think Zelig's next on my netflix.

does anyone else think about the end of magnolia when watching the end of manhattan?
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ghostboy

I love Deconstructin Harry.

The usual opinions of his work apply when it comes to my own -- he's slipped a bit since Sweet & Lowdown, but his undisputed masterpieces are just that.

And as far as his early slapstick stuff goes, 'Sleeper' is a hoot.

©brad

I love Deconstrucing Harry. The scene with Kirsty Allen screaming at him, and he cuts to her patient listening in the other room is hysterical. i like the ovation all his characters give him at the end.

Cecil

i like his cameos in the simpsons.

Born Under Punches

Funny to look at his earlier work like Take the Money and Run and Bananas and think that this guy made Interiors and Crime and Misdermeanors.  Quite impressive move into, I don't know if I'm right saying it, but cerebral comedic and dramatic works.

TenseAndSober

I love Woody Allen.  I've noticed alot of Allen in Wes Anderson films...little things.