Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

NEON MERCURY

..i see your point clearly now w/ star wars and want to coment on LOTR:

i havn't read the books but for some reason know that it legend..it feels right and THAT MUCH WORD OF MOUTH CAN"T BE WRONG...whenoi saw the first one i was (ahem..just to let you know i'llsay all the cheesy cliches about film for lack of a better words...)i was blown away..its brilliantly acted, filmed, scored, directed, etc..the story was interrsting enough to hold my interest along w/the FX and other factors..i see your point about battle then talk, battle then alk, battle then talk,,,etc...but I found each battle and dialouge(spreading the story) scenes wonderful..it's all about theJOURNEY  and i guess it's repetitive in nature about how they have abattle thengo into story and repeat..But maybe its just me Idug it...

the second film..was great also..BUT i don't thinkits NEAR asa good as the first one...I AGREE EXACTLY ABOUT FRODO'S CHARACTER THAT YOU SAID..THATS PART OF THE REASON WHY I WAS PISSED OF ABOUT THE TWO TOWERS...i

for the third installemnt I have huge hopes for..and i think it will deliver...i think also it will focus more on story rahther than action  unlike the second one did...

Gold Trumpet

Its a kick ass thing when two people can agree to disagree and stay cool about it. I'll see Return of the King, but I don't have high hopes. I'll get back to you when I see it.

~rougerum

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts a kick ass thing when two people can agree to disagree and stay cool about it. I'll see Return of the King, but I don't have high hopes. I'll get back to you when I see it.

~rougerum

..i agree thats one of the cool things about this board.....and as for  ROTK...it should deliver....

and everyone elso..you can go back to disscusing if/when/will star wars be released on dvd..i think were done...

modage

guys, guys.  i dont know if either of you are aware, but NEITHER Star Wars nor Lord of the Rings won Best Picture!  so, why are we even talking about them?!?!  we should be discussing more important pictures like Driving Miss Daisy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02guys, guys.  i dont know if either of you are aware, but NEITHER Star Wars nor Lord of the Rings won Best Picture!  so, why are we even talking about them?!?!  we should be discussing more important pictures like Driving Miss Daisy.

lol......good one....

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02we should be discussing more important pictures like Driving Miss Daisy.

Yeah, let's dredge up another time that Morgan Freeman got the shaft at the Oscars. ... He lost to a guy who could only move his damn foot!

Banky

Star Wars DVD News?! Oct. 15, 2003

Source: Yakface.com, Digital Bits  by: Mike Sampson

First I want you to take a look at something. Then we'll reconvene and I'll explain.

That, my friends, is an invitation sent out by LucasFilm sent out earlier this week to distributors and businesses with whom they do frequent business. Someone at memorabilia website Yakface.com got their hands on a copy from a friend of a friend, etc., took a few digital photos and posted it online. Now this isn't your typical paper invite. This is a black plaque with a Darth Vader figurine standing perpendicular. Of course speculation began immediately on why LucasFilm would be inviting people to The Presidio (a complex Lucas has recently purchased). The first thought was to talk EPISODE 3 but that film isn't scheduled until May of 2005 and that seems a little unlikely. The next thought, which has been confirmed by a number of separate sources, is that George Lucas will take this opportunity to announce the upcoming release of the original STAR WARS trilogy on DVD. That's right, the most anticipated DVDs ever will finally be coming to video stores near you. When? It's still unclear but it seems very very likely that Lucas will announce exactly when on 11/5/03. Will JoBlo.com be there to report on this exciting news? Ummm, no. It appears press has NOT been invited to this event but we will have all the breaking news for you when, and if, the DVDs are announced by LucasFilm. For more on this story and more shots of the elaborate invitation, check out Yakface.com or The Digital Bits.

markums2k

Quote from: RaikusGreedo shooting first, indeed.

I've lost all faith in Lucas.  When I saw the special edition of Episode IV in theaters, I was so pumped.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  

"Oh yeah... this is that awesome part where Han blasts that green bastard through the table!  Here we go--"

(It happens.)

"Uhhh... what the fuck was that?"

So I skipped the rest of the special edition releases.  And then I saw Episode I in the theater.  That would mark the last time I ever paid $7 for a Star Wars movie.  I mean, I had a good time at Episode I, but it's no Matrix.  And it's no Lord of the Rings.  And it's no Episode IV... but even Episode IV isn't Episode IV anymore.   :(

I feel cheated, but I'm starting to get used to it.

modage

STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITION print has been enhanced AGAIN!
Source: AICN

Today I attended that screening of Star Wars: Special Edition here in L.A. at the City of Angels Film Festival. As you mentioned on your site, this was the Special Edition print, not the original cut. Special Edition or not, it's always cool to see Star Wars on the big screen.

But there was something unusual about this screening.

This was not the Special Edition print that is on VHS. There were changes in this print - specifically, the lightsabers in the Obi/Vader duel were enhanced. This has been a nitpicky thing since the SEs were released: why didn't they fix the rotoscoping on the lightsabers? Well, in this print (which, strangely, was not a new looking print) the sabers WERE fixed. Obi-Wan's saber was brilliant blue and Vader's saber was bright red (not white) in every shot - even in the shot as the blast doors are closing. In the shot where Ben's saber is pointed at the camera (where it suddenly looks like a stick) it was correctly filled in and had a glorious blue glow. I wasn't imagining things because the guy next to me immediately whispered, "Did you see that?!"

There was one other minor change as well. In the first binary sunset shot as Luke is walking out of the homestead, the lower right sun had CG clouds passing in front of it. I came home and checked my VHS copy -- no clouds. It seems a few changes were slipped into this print since the initial release.

Perhaps this seems like minor stuff, but the lightsabers have bothered me for years. I'm happy to report they HAVE been fixed. Hopefully soon, everyone else will get a chance to see it on DVD.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Star Wars Trilogy (DVD): Its taken a while but at last its confirmed - the original trilogy is indeed officially coming to DVD in September next year. AICN has heard from sources at the Star Wars summit at the Presidio in San Francisco the other day where Lucasfilm gave a marketing presentation for "Episode III" and confirmed the disc releases and a few other new projects on the horizon: "The marketing timeline for Star Wars is as follows - This week, The Clone Wars, then the original Star Wars trilogy is being released September 2004, then Episode 3 teaser advertising begins in January of 2005, Episode 3 May 2005, Episode 3 DVD/VHS November 2005. One little fun fact - seems that they have TWO Star Wars television ideas floating around the ranch...one would be animation and the other - LIVE ACTION. These television projects would be in 2006". The REAL meat and potatoes was the Episode 3 footage! Some cool as hell stuff. Anakin is looking darker than ever. Dark clothes, with what appears to be some scars on his face. They showed one seen with Obi-Won, The Emperor and Anakin crashing their ship into a planet as the ship burns. They showed some animation of what will be OB1's transportation at one point in the film. A large lizard that's able to walk upside down and scale walls".

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02Star Wars Trilogy (DVD): Its taken a while but at last its confirmed - the original trilogy is indeed officially coming to DVD in September next year. AICN has heard from sources at the Star Wars summit at the Presidio in San Francisco the other day where Lucasfilm gave a marketing presentation for "Episode III" and confirmed the disc releases and a few other new projects on the horizon: "The marketing timeline for Star Wars is as follows - This week, The Clone Wars, then the original Star Wars trilogy is being released September 2004, then Episode 3 teaser advertising begins in January of 2005, Episode 3 May 2005, Episode 3 DVD/VHS November 2005. One little fun fact - seems that they have TWO Star Wars television ideas floating around the ranch...one would be animation and the other - LIVE ACTION. These television projects would be in 2006". The REAL meat and potatoes was the Episode 3 footage! Some cool as hell stuff. Anakin is looking darker than ever. Dark clothes, with what appears to be some scars on his face. They showed one seen with Obi-Won, The Emperor and Anakin crashing their ship into a planet as the ship burns. They showed some animation of what will be OB1's transportation at one point in the film. A large lizard that's able to walk upside down and scale walls".

soungs great..i unlike everyone else here have high hops for Ep. 3....
the lizard thing souinds rather surreal though.....

cine

Quote from: themodernage02Anakin is looking darker than ever. Dark clothes, with what appears to be some scars on his face.
Goddamn, they're going ALL out :!:

RegularKarate

Quote from: themodernage02STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITION print has been enhanced AGAIN!
Source: AICN

Today I attended that screening of Star Wars: Special Edition here in L.A. at the City of Angels Film Festival. As you mentioned on your site, this was the Special Edition print, not the original cut. Special Edition or not, it's always cool to see Star Wars on the big screen.

But there was something unusual about this screening.

This was not the Special Edition print that is on VHS. There were changes in this print - specifically, the lightsabers in the Obi/Vader duel were enhanced. This has been a nitpicky thing since the SEs were released: why didn't they fix the rotoscoping on the lightsabers? Well, in this print (which, strangely, was not a new looking print) the sabers WERE fixed. Obi-Wan's saber was brilliant blue and Vader's saber was bright red (not white) in every shot - even in the shot as the blast doors are closing. In the shot where Ben's saber is pointed at the camera (where it suddenly looks like a stick) it was correctly filled in and had a glorious blue glow. I wasn't imagining things because the guy next to me immediately whispered, "Did you see that?!"

There was one other minor change as well. In the first binary sunset shot as Luke is walking out of the homestead, the lower right sun had CG clouds passing in front of it. I came home and checked my VHS copy -- no clouds. It seems a few changes were slipped into this print since the initial release.

Perhaps this seems like minor stuff, but the lightsabers have bothered me for years. I'm happy to report they HAVE been fixed. Hopefully soon, everyone else will get a chance to see it on DVD.

This is undoubtedly bullshit... no way would they do all these touch ups and transfer for one print that a small handfull of people will ever see.

modage

well, perhaps they have already been further touching it up for the dvd release next year?

RegularKarate

I would believe that they're touching the film up for the DVD release... that only makes sense (It's Lucas), but they wouldn't pay to have just one lousy print (and why would it already be dirty?) of it made?  That's a Digi-to-Film transfer they would have to pay for.  For one print?  That one geek from AICN is gonna notice?