Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

Ghostboy

The way I deal with it is -- I can't wait to show these movies to my kids someday (if I have kids), and the ones they're going to see will be these editions. And they're not gonna give a crap about any of these changes because they won't realize they were changed in the first place, and because they ultimately don't effect the storytelling or the inherent magic of the films, it's not going to be a big deal. The kids'll still going to get a kick out of the films, and, despite my reservations, I will too.

Question of the week: if you were going to introduce somoene to the SW series, and assuming you'll be showing them all six and not just the originals, would you show them the original series first or the prequels? If you go with the prequels, you lose the whole "Luke, I Am You Father" twist, but if you go with the originals, Anakin's turn to the dark side will be completely anticipated.

tpfkabi

the thing about changing the Return of the Jedi ending is that you lose the song "Celebrate the Love." i watched my RotJ VHS and even listened to my CD Box Set (released before the SE's) and i love that song. i don't think you can help but smile at the beginning of that song.

about what to show future generations: hmmm, i really think the two trilogies are in totally different categories. the story and dialogue/acting has been sacrificed in EPs 1 & 2 for special effects. i'm thinking/hoping EP 3 will be a return to form (how can you mess up Anakin's turn to the DArk Side  :roll: ), but i would show the original trilogy.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

Also Lucas calls these his movies...when he only directed 1/3 of the original trilogy.

I show my children the Episodes IV - VI, original, and I wouldn't bother showing them the rest.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mogwai

i'm only going to show "the ewok adventure" for me kids.

Alethia

i'll show them the episode of sesame street with luke skywalker in it

cine

Just Withnail

How about watching them the Godfather 2 way?

Episode 1 - Obi-Wan and Anakin's meeting

Episode 4 - There's Obi-Wan, Anakin's kid, Luke, but where's Anakin? Killed by Vader?

Episode 2 - Anakin marries Padme. So that's Luke's mom...Ahh. Those are the stormtroopers. Hey, wait a second, could that guy be the emperor? ...you get the idea.

Episode 5 - Wait a sec?! This Vader guy is Luke's father? THAT's Anakin?! How the hell did this shit happen?!

Episode 3 - How the shit happened.

Episode 6 - Vader turns good. Dies. Emperor dead. Lukes lights a bonfire.

This way you 1) Preseve the suprice, 2) Get the feeling of a more coherent bigger picture, as opposed to two entirely different sets of trilogies, that switch it's character focus midway. And 3) You get the father/ son stories mirroring each other. Powerful cinema if you ask me. But then again, people rarely do.

Alethia

mogwai

episode 7 - luke is still single. solo and leia get married. chewie cruises around in space looking for chicks. c3p0 accidently drowns in a bathtub. r2d2 mourns the death by whistling a 30 minute hymn that is so loud that it kills the entire jawa population.

episode 8 - c3po is amazingly ressurected by a team of professors on the tatooine planet. r2d2 unbeknownst of c3po's resurrection is said to have disappeared. chewie meets a female ranchor.

episode 9 - luke decides to take a shot at leia. fails miserably. han solo gives him a ton of whoop. chewie and his girlfriend is proud parents to a male chewnchor named teddy. c3po and r2d2 reunites at the blue oyster bar. the end.

SiliasRuby

I saw the DVD trilogy at Wallmart today for people to pick up but unusually I didn't see a price.....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alethia

at borders, preparing for the trilogy's release, they were sellin those collectible lightsaber models (dont remember the brand name) the kind with the metal handle, and the glowing saber, etc.  really cool..for like 35 bucks each

Myxo

So, who wants to bet there will be two more collections realeased in the future? We know for sure there will be at least one more collection of Episodes 1-6, but I'm betting on an "uber" collection which gives audiences a chance to watch episodes 4, 5 and 6 pre-Lucas fucking with them.

He'll wait until Episode 3 is ready for release on DVD, then he'll release that by itself. A few months afterwards, there will be some sort of $100+ collection of all 6. I'd bet a while later (maybe a year or so) he'll go ahead and release 4, 5 and 6 by themselves or as part of another collection of the films for fans who won't stop bugging him for the old version.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Myxomatosis

He'll wait until Episode 3 is ready for release on DVD, then he'll release that by itself. A few months afterwards, there will be some sort of $100+ collection of all 6. I'd bet a while later (maybe a year or so) he'll go ahead and release 4, 5 and 6 by themselves or as part of another collection of the films for fans who won't stop bugging him for the old version.

by then he could redo them too...
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

2007 will be the 30th anniversary of A New Hope and one reviewer thinks there will be a release then.

maybe he'll change the prequels by then and add some interesting dialogue.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.