Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

Redlum

Quote from: bigideas
does anyone else hate the new ending to RotJ? i love the song that ended it before, "celebrate the love"(?i think?), but the SE had a totally different song and ending
Yep. Hate is a strong word but it definately seemed the most senseless modification in the SE's.

Star Wars never was much of a childhood movie for me. Back to the Future and Indy were my trilogies and Im sure any nostalgia I may have felt has been obliterated by recent travesties.

...but then I just think of that moment where Luke gazes upon the horizon with two moons and the Williams score just creeps in and I wonder...
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Find Your Magali

I actually prefer the new SE ending to Return of the Jedi. ... That third movie was sloppy in so many ways, including the ending with the Ewoks. Far better, I think, to capture the sense of victory and celebration across all of the planets, rather than have one shindig around a campfire. And the new score works for me, too. But maybe that's just me.

Ghostboy

Find Your Magali

Maybe there's still time to get Annie Lennox to sing something.

"Into the Galaxy..." or somesuch ditty.

MacGuffin

The folks over at KamuiWeb has scored shots of the upcoming packaging for the Classic Star Wars films on DVD this fall, this of course is one of the most-requested DVD episodic film franchises. There looks to be several different versions of the boxed set, including The Final Conflict, Light Side vs. Dark Side and The Imperial Collection. The four-disc DVD box set is due out Sept. 21.

The Final Conflict:

Jedi vs Darkside:

The Imperial Collection:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Those Boxes look great. Thanks for the information Mac.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

argh, same sets, different packagings!  hate decisions!  first reservoir dogs, now this?!?  boxes look great though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

Just Withnail

Quote from: themodernage02argh, same sets, different packagings!  hate decisions!  first reservoir dogs, now this?!?  boxes look great though.

Not quite the same situation. Only one of these will be released. And I'm betting these are just prototypes, the finished product will most likely be very different.

That said, I liked the first one the best.

bonanzataz

those pictures is gone now...

and my original cut star wars lasers look and sound great on my new hdtv!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: taz.those pictures is gone now...

Updated...

Source: Digital Bits
First of all, we've spoken with those in the know (the right people, you'll have to trust us on this) and have learned that the Star Wars DVD box art that's been circulating around lately is "work in progress" ONLY stuff that should NEVER have leaked on the Net. These are apparently very early concepts - stuff that we weren't meant to see - and the final packaging is likely to be quite different. This kind of thing happens all the time - that a company working on marketing designs for packaging, or even poster or cover art, will do many, many different concepts as they hone in on the final design. So while these packages are sort of the real deal, they're really not if you get our meaning. Anyway, that's the unofficially official word - take it as you will. We will, of course, post the final box art as soon as it's released by Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hoichi_the_earless

I don't mine the Jedi .vs. Dark Side packaging, only if they didn't use AOTC Yoda on it...you should see Yoda as is is in ESB.  Anyone agree?
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

MacGuffin

From The Digital Bits:

Yeah, we know this is going to get some people's undies in a bunch again... but we can say with some confidence now that when Lucasfilm and Fox release the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in September, the films ARE going to include new footage. We've confirmed "unofficially" with three separate sources, each in positions to know, that at least SOME new footage is being added to the films, and that more special effects enhancements, tweaks and fixes are being done. We're also told that Lucasfilm MAY include additional deleted scenes for the trilogy on the bonus disc, separate from the material added into the films themselves (rather like they've done with Episodes I & II). We've been told of at least a few changes that are being made, but we're going to wait to confirm them better before we post anything. Keep in mind that we have no idea how extensive or minor the whole of the additions and changes will be. Hopefully, we'll learn more from Lucasfilm in the near future.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffinFrom The Digital Bits:

Yeah, we know this is going to get some people's undies in a bunch again... but we can say with some confidence now that when Lucasfilm and Fox release the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in September, the films ARE going to include new footage. We've confirmed "unofficially" with three separate sources, each in positions to know, that at least SOME new footage is being added to the films, and that more special effects enhancements, tweaks and fixes are being done. We're also told that Lucasfilm MAY include additional deleted scenes for the trilogy on the bonus disc, separate from the material added into the films themselves (rather like they've done with Episodes I & II). We've been told of at least a few changes that are being made, but we're going to wait to confirm them better before we post anything. Keep in mind that we have no idea how extensive or minor the whole of the additions and changes will be. Hopefully, we'll learn more from Lucasfilm in the near future.

Count me in as one of the soon-to-speak-their-minds "Oh, fuck"-people.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffinFrom The Digital Bits:

I... am... so... pissed... off... right... now... you guys.