Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

Axolotl

Quote from: jenkins on April 02, 2015, 06:03:29 PM
reminder: alan resnais is 91, and when he dies we'll have to worry about romance's continued existence
umm...

jenkins

referring to '09's eccentricities of a blond-haired girl and wild grass, and the legacy of romance within cinema -- cinema a part of romance's creation, for that matter

Axolotl

jenkins

well now i got one question for you on this dark day my friend

Axolotl

jenkins

ElPandaRoyal

This is a particularly sad one for me, because Oliveira was from my hometown and was someone I was used to seeing once in a while on the street since I was a child, and he was already a famous local old-man filmmaker. A lot of people in Portugal respected his old age more than they did his work, which is slow and difficult, but let me tell you guys, if you don't know any of his films, he's made some fantastic movies, veeeery slow-paced, yes, but quite special for that as well. He worked in silent films, he made a neo-realist movie before neo-realism was a thing (with Aniki Bóbó, completed in 1942), wasn't really able to shoot a lot for decades due to conflicts with the dictatorship regime and only really became a prolific director at an age when most people start thinking about retirement. His passion for film was touching, the movies themselves were sometimes funny, others tragic, all carefully composed and crafted. There are a lot of titles in his filmography I'm yet to see, but highly recomend the ones I've seen.
Si

Punch

Chantal Akerman 6 June 1950 – 5 October 2015

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Lottery