Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Raikus

Stern's reporting that Mitch Hedberg has passed away. No other sources have reported it yet, but it seems like reliable info.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Quote from: RaikusStern's reporting that Mitch Hedberg has passed away. No other sources have reported it yet, but it seems like reliable info.
sleuth has been sleuthing longer than you :cry:

mitch hedberg has definitely passed away of an OD. patton oswalt has confirmed it.. even one of the guys who was gonna be performing with him this weekend confirmed it.

:cry:

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: RaikusStern's reporting that Mitch Hedberg has passed away. No other sources have reported it yet, but it seems like reliable info.
sleuth has been sleuthing longer than you :cry:

mitch hedberg has definitely passed away of an OD. patton oswalt has confirmed it.. even one of the guys who was gonna be performing with him this weekend confirmed it.

Totally fucking sucks.

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ravi

Wow, very sad that Mitch Hedberg died.  He was an incredible stand-up comedian.  Anyone know where the film he made is available?

mogwai

'Police Academy' Star Dies

Police Academy actress Debralee Scott has died at her home in Florida of natural causes. She was 52. Scott, who appeared as Mrs Fackler in the 1984 comedy and its third installment Police Academy 3: Back In Training in 1986, was also known to US TV audiences for her roles in 1970s shows Welcome Back, Kotter and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Scott also had bit parts in movie classics Dirty Harry and American Graffiti. Her policeman fiance John Levi was killed in the 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York

kotte

Quote from: mogwainatural causes

Quote from: mogwaiShe was 52

:saywhat:

MacGuffin

Oscar-Nominated Actress Ruth Hussey Dies

Ruth Hussey, who was nominated for an Academy Award for her role as James Stewart's wise-cracking girlfriend in 1940's "The Philadelphia Story" has died. She was 93.

Hussey died Tuesday at a convalescent home in Newbury Park in Ventura County of complications from an appendectomy, according to her son, John Longnecker.

From the late 1930s through 1960 Hussey made dozens of films and appeared with such leading men as Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Melvyn Douglas and Robert Taylor.

She also was a stage actress, appearing on Broadway in 1945 in the hit "State of the Union" and in 1949 in the comedy "Goodbye, My Fancy."

Born Oct. 30, 1911, in Providence, R.I., Hussey graduated from Pembroke Women's College at Brown University and the drama school at the University of Michigan.

She began her show-business career as a local radio fashion commentator. Later, she moved to New York and became a model for the Powers agency. She toured with stage companies and won an MGM contract when she was spotted by a talent agent during a road production in Los Angeles.

Her first movie role, in the 1937 Tracy film "Big City," was uncredited. Three years later, she was Tracy's leading lady in "Northwest Passage."

She received an Oscar nomination for supporting actress for playing Elizabeth Imbrie, the sassy photographer who accompanies Stewart to cover a socialite's wedding in "The Philadelphia Story."

She lost to Jane Darwell, who was Ma Joad in "The Grapes of Wrath"

Her last feature film role was in 1960 in "The Facts of Life" playing Bob Hope's wife.

Hussey also had a long career in television, including guest appearances in "The Magnificent Ambersons" and "Time Out for Ginger."

She also played the love interest of Robert Young in the 1973 television movie "My Darling Daughters' Anniversary."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Rambo' director dead at 64

VICTORIA, British Columbia (AP) -- Director George P. Cosmatos, best known for box-office hits "Rambo" and "Tombstone," died last week. He was 64.

Cosmatos had recently been diagnosed with lung cancer, his friend and fellow director Richard Donner said Saturday.

"George was just a wonderful, bigger-than-life character," Donner said. "You never forgot his entrance and hoped there would never be an exit."

Known for an ability to fix troubled projects and create blockbuster films, he delivered what many consider his finest achievement in 1993 -- "Tombstone," the film about legendary American lawman Wyatt Earp starring Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell.

Cosmatos dismissed criticism of violence in "Rambo," the 1985 film about a U.S. combat veteran who returns to Vietnam on a one-man mission to rescue soldiers missing-in-action.

"What's with these prejudiced people? They're for censorship, not a free society," Cosmatos said. "It's a psychological release for people to have a hero who can do the fighting and dirty work while we eat our popcorn."

Born in Florence, Italy and raised in Egypt and Cyprus, Cosmatos spoke six languages and was an avid bibliophile with a passion for cigars and film restoration.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I love Tombstone...and Rambo II is one of the funnest movies around.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ravi

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-grant10may10,1,4256727.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Joe Grant, 96; Disney Artist Helped Make Films That Became Classics
By Charles Solomon, Special to The Times

Joe Grant, one of Walt Disney's most talented artists and story men, whose career ran from the cartoon "Mickey's Gala Premiere" (1933) to the Oscar-nominated short "Lorenzo" (2004), died Friday at his home in Glendale from a heart attack while at his drawing table. He was 96.

Grant, who was working at the Disney studio the day before his death, was not an animator but a story man — an artist who helped develop the plot and dialogue of an animated film — and a designer. He worked on numerous shorts, including "Gulliver Mickey" (1934) and "Who Killed Cock Robin" (1935). For "Snow White," Disney's first feature, Grant designed the Queen and the Wicked Witch.

During work on "Snow White" in 1933, Walt Disney came up to Grant in a hallway of the Hyperion studio in Loz Feliz and asked, "What are we going to do for an encore?" That question led to the establishment of the Character Model Department, which Grant headed with his vast knowledge of art, illustration and literature. It served as a research and development department for animated films and generated many of the ideas that became classic Disney films. The artists worked out ideas for stories and characters, and made model sheets and three-dimensional figures that showed how to draw the characters.

After working on "Pinocchio" (1940), Grant helped select the music for "Fantasia" (1940) and led the story development for that landmark film. With his creative partner, Dick Huemer, he wrote "Dumbo" (1941). During World War II, Grant contributed story ideas, gags and designs to war-related shorts, including "Reason and Emotion" (1943), "The New Spirit" (1942) and the Oscar-winning "Der Fuehrer's Face" (1942).

When the Character Model Department disbanded in 1949, Grant left Disney to pursue other artistic ventures. He started several successful businesses, including a ceramics studio (Opechee Designs) and a greeting card company (Castle Ltd.).

"I think there was always a gentle sweetness to Joe and his work," said Roy E. Disney, head of Disney Feature Animation from 1983 to 2004 and nephew of Walt Disney. "There's a gentility in everything he touched. But there's also a great sophistication. He was one of the truly great craftsmen of our art, but he always saw his craft as a way to communicate ideas."

Forty years after he left Disney, Grant received a call from Disney's Feature Animation Department, inviting him to consult on "Beauty and the Beast" (1991). Grant was soon working at the studio full time, with a new generation of artists, contributing ideas to "Aladdin" (1992), "The Lion King" (1994), "Pocahontas" (1995) and "Hercules" (1997).

For "Fantasia/2000," Grant came up with the idea of flamingos with yo-yos for the "Carnival of the Animals" sequence, which Eric Goldberg animated and directed. In 1949, Grant began developing "Lorenzo," a story about an obnoxious Persian cat whose tail comes to life. Working with Grant, director Mike Gabriel made "Lorenzo" into a film that received an Oscar nomination for Animated Short earlier this year.

Grant also contributed to Pixar Animation Studios features and coined the title for "Monsters, Inc." (2001). "Monsters" director Peter Docter recalled, "Once when Joe and I were talking over some story concepts, he asked, 'What are you giving the audience to take home?' He meant, what part of the story will lodge in the audience's heart, that they'll remember for days or even years. I think about that every day, and I'll be thinking about him and his advice for a long, long time."

Grant was named a Disney Legend in 1992 and received the National Cartoonists Society's Ruben Award in 1996. In 1998, he was honored at the animation festival in Annecy, France, and the Los Angeles Film Critics Assn. presented him with a special award for career achievement in 2002. More than 70 of his caricatures are included in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution.

Born in New York City on May 15, 1908, Grant became interested in drawing while watching his father, an art director for William Randolph Hearst's newspapers. In an interview in 2001, Grant recalled, "I was constantly looking over his shoulder — and being attacked by other members of the family who insisted art was a futile pursuit. But I stuck it out, because I saw the magic of his hand on the drawing board."

Grant came to Southern California as a boy. After attending the Chouinard Art Institute, he went to work as a caricaturist for the Los Angeles Record. Disney saw Grant's print work and invited him to design the movie star caricatures in the cartoon "Mickey's Gala Premiere." After a few other freelance assignments, Disney invited Grant to work at the studio full time.

"I was at the point of syndication at that time, doing caricatures through the Chicago Tribune, and I was a little unhappy about giving that up," Grant said. "But the idea of animation was overwhelming, the magic of it. I never lost sight of it. It was color, music, action — what more could you want?"

Reflecting on his long career, Grant once told animation historian John Canemaker, "I'm interested not in what happened back then, but what we're doing now and looking forward. Technology is running ahead of us right now. We've got to catch up with it with some good ideas."

Grant is survived by two daughters, Carol Eve Grubb and Jennifer Grant Castrup; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests that donations be made to the Pasadena Humane Society and SPCA, 361 S. Raymond Ave., Pasadena, CA 91105

Funeral services will be held Saturday at the Church of the Recessional at Forest Lawn in Glendale.

Stefen

Looks like Linday Lohan will be here soon enough

I used to be smart now im just skinny.

God, that's gross. And so are the freckles on her back. oghghgyggugu.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sigur Rós

eww

And her hand looks old. Reminds of the woman in the bathtub in 'The Shining'. Scary shit!

meatball

Holy mother of God. I miss her Herbie: Fully Loaded days when she was slightly plump and overly tanned.

w/o horse

Those girls are bad for each other.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.