Jim Jarmusch

Started by Tommy Both, February 06, 2003, 05:22:56 PM

MacGuffin

Swinton, Fassbender and Wasikowska line up for Jarmusch's vampire story
BY GEOFFREY MACNAB, ScreenDaily

EXCLUSIVE: Jeremy Thomas and Reinhard Brundig producing; HanWay to handle sales. Jim Jarmusch is set to make a vampire movie starring Tilda Swinton, Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska as his vampires, with John Hurt in a featured role. Jeremy Thomas and Reinhard Brundig will jointly produce through Recorded Picture Company and Pandora Films. HanWay Films is handling international sales. Jarmusch describes the project as a "crypto-vampire love story", set against the romantic desolation of Detroit and Tangiers. The as-yet-untitled film will shoot in Germany, Morocco and Detroit in early 2012. The deal was brokered by Richard Mansell on behalf of RPC with Bart Walker of Cinetic Media, on behalf of Jim Jarmusch. RPC CEO Peter Watson and Jarmusch business partner Stacey Smith will serve as executive-producers. Jarmusch said: "I've been imagining this film for years. I can't wait to now realise it with these remarkable collaborators." Thomas said: "As a friend, I've admired Jim's films from the beginning, and I'm glad we're finally working together."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Well they just decided to waste a few months..
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Jim Jarmusch Readying Album With Dutch Composer Jozef van Wissem
Source: Pitchfork

Time Out reports that revered indie filmmaker Jim Jarmusch is gearing up to release more music. He's teamed with Dutch minimalist composer (and long-time collaborator) Jozef van Wissem for a new album called Concerning the Entrance Into Eternity, which is due for release on February 28 through Important Records. Jarmusch plays guitar on the record, and the two will perform in New York on February 3 at ISSUE Project Room. Listen to an album cut "The Sun of the Natural World is Pure Fire" above, via SSG.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Jim Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive to be Screened at Cannes
via blu-ray.com

Celebrated independent American director Jim Jarmusch's highly anticipated new film, Only Lovers Left Alive, has been added to the official competition line-up of the Cannes Film Festival. The film stars Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, and Mia Wasikowska.

Synopsis: Two vampires have a love affair spanning centuries set against the decay of Detroit, Michigan and Tangiers, Morocco.

dude does this have a trailer or something equally informative. sounds very cool. youtube not producing adequately!

wilder

Jim Jarmusch's Next Film Is About A Bus Driver & Poet In Paterson, New Jersey
via The Playlist

Iconoclastic director Jim Jarmusch ("Ghost Dog," "Dead Man") generally makes films at a fairly languid pace of every four or five years. Part of that is being preoccupied with one subject for several years, and part of it is a function of (especially these days) the types of un-commercial, idiosyncratic movies he likes to make are harder and harder to fund. His latest, the upcoming vampire romance picture, "Only Lovers Left Alive" starring Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, was in development for over seven years, funding fell through several times and even his lead actors had to encourage him to hang in there and see the project through its various ups and downs. But things seem to be changing for Jarmusch and he's better equipped at multi-tasking.

In our recent interview (more of which will be rolled out next week), Jarmusch revealed he has at least four projects in the works: his still-continuing drone-rock band SQÜRL; an opera about famed inventor Nikola Tesla which may involve celebrated theater director Robert Wilson; a documentary about the seminal punk bang Iggy Pop and The Stooges (which looks like it'll finally be completed soon); and yet another feature-length narrative film.

Jarmusch played coy when we asked what it was about, but said he would likely be shooting it this fall. "It's all written and everything, but I don't really want to talk about it too much. I'm a little superstitious, but it's set in the present in Paterson New Jersey," he said. "I don't know if it's any more of a comedy than any other film I've made, but it definitely has some funny stuff in it."

But what's it actually about? Well, in an interview with the New York Times, the filmmaker gave them another small taste: it's about a bus driver and poet in Paterson, N.J., that he evidently wrote in the years he waited for the "Only Lovers Left Alive" budget to come together. Perhaps a serio-comic existential pas de deux as only Jarmusch could create? It'll be interesting to see how heavy the movie is on plot, but our gut tells us it's probably more philosophical in its method. We'll assume we'll find out more details in the upcoming months. No word on who would play either role, but we'll also presume the director has actors in mind. We'll remind him that Bill Murray said he should have quit acting after "Broken Flowers" because he thought he would simply never do anything better. That would be a nice re-team, wouldn't it?

As for his Stooges doc, the Times calls it a "quasi-documentary" and Jarmusch himself calls it "a little poetic essay" so we probably shouldn't expect your traditional rock doc. "Only Lovers Left Alive" opens on April 11th and we'll have more from our lengthy interview next week.

wilder

Jim Jarmusch And Terry Gilliam Ink Movie Deals With Amazon
via The Playlist

The allure of the streaming model for filmmakers is easy to understand. Scraping together financing from a handful of production companies, distributors, and investors is tedious, time-consuming, and most importantly, fragile. If any one of those links in the chain should bail on the project or go under, you either have to adjust your movie to meet that budget shortfall or scramble to find it elsewhere. Being able to develop a project with the full support and distribution network at your disposal is an enticing possibility. And while Netflix has blazed the path, Amazon is not far behind. They have Spike Lee developing the feature "Chiraq," while Jean-Pierre Jeunet is working on the series "Casanova." And now it seems they have signed up two more filmmakers.

Completely buried in a report by Deadline, they reveal that Jim Jarmusch and Terry Gilliam have inked movie deals with the company once known just for selling books. And that's all the news there is. But what could those projects be? Last we heard from Jarmusch, he had a script ready to go about a bus driver and poet in Paterson, New Jersey. And according to a more recent interview, it would appear that movie is getting ready to shoot very soon. "I'm preparing a new feature film for next fall that will be filmed here in New York and New Jersey," he told Soundcheck in February. And he's even getting the musical elements together.

"I'm just in the early stages of exploring the possibilities of a kind of electronic score, which I never used before," Jarmusch explained. "Something is pulling me toward that because I love a lot of electronic music and I haven't used it in a film really."

"I would say from Cluster to [Brian] Eno," he added about the kind of music he's looking at. "I don't know if you know Fuck Buttons. Some variety of things that interests me. I like Detroit House and all kinds of electronic aberrations so I'm not exactly sure but I want music that floats along. I don't want a heavy beat — maybe no rhythm at all. I'm not sure yet."

wilder

Adam Driver Is Starring In Jim Jarmusch's New Movie 'Paterson'
via The Playlist

Right now, Adam Driver is known really only to the viewers of HBO's "Girls" and those who've been impressed by his appearances in critically acclaimed fare like "Inside Llewyn Davis" and "While We're Young." But that's about to change, with the young actor playing the villainous, still-mysterious Kylo Ren in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

It's the start of a big 2016 for the actor, who's also lined up roles in Jeff Nichols' "Midnight Special" and Martin Scorsese's "Silence," and an interview in the latest issue of Empire Magazine reveals that the star has work with another beloved auteur lined up: Before he set out on promo duties for J.J. Abrams' mega-blockbuster, "he finished work on Jim Jarmusch's 'Paterson.'"

This isn't quite the first we've heard about the project: Jarmusch told us last year that he'd written a new movie "set in the present in Paterson, New Jersey... I don't know if it's any more of a comedy than any other film I've made, but it definitely has some funny stuff in it." And he told the New York Times that the film was about a "bus driver and poet."

jenkins

i didn't like The Limits of Control when i first saw it, and Xixax trashtalked it, but i have friends who are fans, so i went back to it via the german blu-ray.

i think the beginning, the first 3/4ths, maybe even the first 4/5ths (i'd have to time it), is achingly gorgeous. it doesn't really have to be about a goddamn thing. he's meeting some people who make interesting comments about perspectives and movies.. the meetings are because the assassin needs information related to his job. there's not a lick of narrative traction but there's every bit a sense of being. they need to swap match boxes. and it's all achingly gorgeous, for sure.

but the ending is such shit. idk man. sometimes opening one's heart doesn't stop something from being shit. i don't think it's shit that he makes it past the guards and Jarmusch asks the audience to use their imagination in that regard. i think it was shit before that. so there are like over a dozen guards for this place but somehow none of them notice Isaach De Bankolé standing on a fucking hill across from them. he just sits there and stares at them and no one notices. so it's not surprising to me when he can evade them. it's pretty clear that the guards are blind. then, Bill Murray is embarrassing. there was no reason for that to be Bill Murray. there's no reason for that to be the end of the movie. it's just shit.

i'll keep the movie for all the parts that lead up to the end, but anytime i watch this movie in the future i'll skip the end.

jenkins

source

QuoteSelena Gomez was joined by Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Chloe Sevigny, and Austin Butler on the set of the upcoming Jim Jarmusch film on Thursday (July 12) in Fleischmanns, N.Y.

It looks like Selena and Austin might be playing a couple attacked by zombies while the other three are all playing cops.

While signs on set had the movie title listed as Kill The Head, Bill previously had said the film was called The Dead Don't Die.

more photos available at site

Alethia

I was on her train out of Grand Central heading upstate the day before this pic was snapped. (Jessica Lange was on the train too). So, that's cool.

jenkins

i bought both Down by Law and Dead Man. i was just really disappointed in myself for only owning The Limits of Control. that fact itself went beyond my limits of control. oh you know, that helps start building an immediate side-topic too. Burroughs is the topic, since limits of control is his quote. i also bought Cronenberg's Naked Lunch. and in fact i'm currently reading In Youth Is Pleasure, by Denton Welch, with a foreward by Burroughs, who calls it the book that most inspired him. what a guy Burroughs was, lasting into my life at least.

returning to the immediate topic, i've also recently watched both Down by Law and Dead Man. it's their pacing that really grabs me. i find the pacing of Jarmusch and Kaurismäki inspiring. so the night i started watching Dead Man i put it on because i wanted to fall asleep early, except i found myself having breezily watched the first 45minutes without becoming the least bit tired. i was surprised. it seems like the least bit happens, but that's not true. even on the beginning train trip he reads about beekeeping, sees new passengers board the train, gets to meet Crispin Glover, and watches passengers shoot at buffalo. its pace is misleading, really. you don't fully recognize what's happening. then when he arrives at the job he doesn't have, it seems like he hits a dead end, except actually it's pretty lightspeed into being best friends with the native american, who is a character i like more every time i watch the movie. Jarmusch does this interesting thing where i don't think the story is really quite logical at all, but it feels so right while watching it.

i currently prefer Dead Man to Down by Law, though really they're both simple stories that feel rich and full, connecting back to appreciating Jarmusch's general style.